Cristiano Ronaldo

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
ratherton
Veteran Member

Martin Jol's view:

To lose in those circumstances was a disgrace. And the biggest disgrace of all was Cristiano Ronaldo.

The key incident in the game was Wayne Rooney’s sending-off. It wasn’t even a booking. I watched the match in Holland with a hundred football-mad Dutchmen. Everybody was cheering for England and everybody felt the same.

When Rooney trampled on Ricardo Carvalho, he didn’t do it on purpose. Before that he was being impeded and should have had a foul anyway. The referee blew his whistle and paused and was thinking of what to do when Ronaldo ran over and asked him to show a card. It’s how Ronaldo always behaves, trying to influence referees, and it turns my stomach when players do that.

I thought to myself, how could he do that? You could argue that Ronaldo is playing for his country in a World Cup, so it’s okay to do anything to win. I don’t believe that. What about sporting values? Rooney is his club teammate, and judging by the way they walked out together at the start, joking, his friend? It was a double betrayal, a disaster for football.

lyricalgh

yo

country is way more importannt than club
i would have done the same thing 10 times over if i was ronaldo
besides

portugal is the only country he can pley for
and man utd is not the only club he can play for
'Alex Ferguson is the best manager I've ever had at this level. Well, he's the only manager I've actually had at this level. But he's the best manager I've ever had.' David Beckham

powell
English Meister

lyricalgh wrote:yo

besides

well i wouldnt of asked for a card because i would of just repected the refs decition like any footballer should and not try to get another player sent off. i think your a disgrace to the game if you try and cheat to win

lyricalgh

powell wrote:

besides

well i wouldnt of asked for a card because i would of just repected the refs decition like any footballer should and not try to get another player sent off. i think your a disgrace to the game if you try and cheat to win
rooney is rather the disgrace
why wud u step on someone's nuts?
his reputation will continue to haunt him everywhere he goes.
'Alex Ferguson is the best manager I've ever had at this level. Well, he's the only manager I've actually had at this level. But he's the best manager I've ever had.' David Beckham

powell
English Meister

hey accident mate i dont believe for one minute rooney wanted to hurt him even if he does have a temper besides i think the reason for he sending off is the ronaldo insidance

lyricalgh

powell wrote:hey accident mate i dont believe for one minute rooney wanted to hurt him even if he does have a temper besides i think the reason for he sending off is the ronaldo insidance
yea
rooney is really really stupid
why do u push someone when the ref is rite there thinking about giving u a card?

stupid guy indeed

powell
English Meister

to be honest ronaldo deserved it hes always doing stuff like this and i dont think he'll get much of a warm welcome whe nhes back next season for united

ratherton
Veteran Member

besides

I agree about country being more important than club but if a club team-mate did that to me, I'd knock them out

RonaldinhoSkills

lol I don't think they'd care... Its rather a team mate who don't like you or the country who don't like you...

Portugal must love Cristiano Ronaldo now lol
Remember... Never do a skill twice, always be creative, after that, you'll own.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

I think it was bad decisions by both players. First, it looked like Rooney stepping on the player's groin was an accident. But when he pushed ronaldo right in front of the referee he should've expected to be booked. Maybe on a different day it's a yellow, but that's up to the referee. Ronaldo made a bad decision to go talk to the referee. It's the captain's job to do that, not one of the youngest players on the team.

However, I don't think the fact that Rooney and Ronaldo are teammates should affect the situation. These guys had to be extremely competitive to get to where they are, and they will do anything to win. They can be friends off the field, but when they are facing each other in a quarterfinal all bets are off.

I think Rooney needs to swallow his pride every once in a while and not always be a "tough guy." If he could control his temper and not worry about being a tough guy we could be talking about him in 10 years as one of the greats of England history, but unfortunately his temper may stifle his ability as a player. If he wants to be really great he needs to use that fire as energy for his play.

Ronaldo needs to do the exact opposite of Rooney. He needs to stop whining, stop crying every time he comes off the pitch, and stop rolling around on the field.

Something I thought of:
Imagine a player with Ronaldo's skill and Rooney's heart. Man U should clone them into one super-footballer.

While I think every thing will turn out fine for Man U, secretly I'm hoping that one of the players bashes each other through the media, they refuse to play together and Arsenal can buy one of them.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

well with the real madrid elections some candidates are saying that they are gonna buy c ronaldo and apparently he has said that he would like to play there. nobody knows if this is true cuz u cant trust the media all the time, and candidates goin for president usually throw out names and makes promises.

i hope that this little row on the pitch between ronaldo and rooney doesnt escalate and that ronaldo goes back to man utd and theres no problems. when you put two people together for the whole year they are gonna have some disagreements.

all iknow is that i hope everything settles down and they go back to man utd and stay there for the next 5 years or maybe even 10.

V1RTU4L
New User

the refs are professionals, so i guess they should be mature and smart enough not to listen to players that ask him to show a card to the opponent.

Referees showed cards to players who want to tell the ref to show a card to another player in the past ... i hoped this would be more common

I saw the scene with Rooney and if u watch him you will see that he is looking down (to his feet) right before he kicks out so i'm pretty sure he knew where his foot was and where it would end.

lyricalgh

ajc wrote:I think it was bad decisions by both players. First, it looked like Rooney stepping on the player's groin was an accident. But when he pushed ronaldo right in front of the referee he should've expected to be booked. Maybe on a different day it's a yellow, but that's up to the referee. Ronaldo made a bad decision to go talk to the referee. It's the captain's job to do that, not one of the youngest players on the team.

However, I don't think the fact that Rooney and Ronaldo are teammates should affect the situation. These guys had to be extremely competitive to get to where they are, and they will do anything to win. They can be friends off the field, but when they are facing each other in a quarterfinal all bets are off.

I think Rooney needs to swallow his pride every once in a while and not always be a "tough guy." If he could control his temper and not worry about being a tough guy we could be talking about him in 10 years as one of the greats of England history, but unfortunately his temper may stifle his ability as a player. If he wants to be really great he needs to use that fire as energy for his play.

Ronaldo needs to do the exact opposite of Rooney. He needs to stop whining, stop crying every time he comes off the pitch, and stop rolling around on the field.

Something I thought of:
Imagine a player with Ronaldo's skill and Rooney's heart. Man U should clone them into one super-footballer.

While I think every thing will turn out fine for Man U, secretly I'm hoping that one of the players bashes each other through the media, they refuse to play together and Arsenal can buy one of them.
very childish comment!!!!!!
u dont need the armband to be a leader on the field
if u want the armband, thats one of the qualities u need
standing up for ur teammates!!!

Wiseman_philosopher

Personally I think every word of lyricalgh in this post is bs enough said.

My view: Rooney did really well before that situation, and I believe he accidentally stood on the other guy's crotch. Ronaldo had no right to do what he did. a) you are not allowed to complain that much if you are not the captain, that is one of the purposes of the armband. b) Ronaldo was not even involved in the tackle!!!!!!!! He had no right to do that to his opponent regardless. He knew full well what he was doing as shown by the footage following.
In respect of ajc's comment about cloning the two players, surely you are not suggesting Rooney does not have skill? I think you didn't mean what you said, and you meant Ronaldo's dribbling or something.
lyricalgh is a disgrace to football if he admits that he would try to get someone sent off. But I know that he won't go anywhere with his ridiculous attitudes.
The facts are, Ronaldo interevened on a matter out of is hands, and foolishly admits that he said "This is a foul" to the referee. Clearly the ref does not need to be told what to do, and he is also clearly trying to influence the referee. Rooney inevitably reacted badly to this, and subsequently, the ref reacted when he saw the push and pulled out a red card. The bottom line is, Rooney would not have been sent off if Ronaldo hadn't interferred. There has to be something wrong there.
He who thinks too much about every step he takes will stay on one leg all his life.

lyricalgh

blame ronaldo for ur loss
even though he scored the winner

rooney couldnt have done anything even if he was on the field.
just like lampard he wud have been an observer