Has the World Cup lived up to its hype so far?

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
karlofootball10
Veteran Member

Has the World Cup lived up to its hype so far?

Post by karlofootball10 » 27 Jun 2006, 17:03

as the title says.

i think that it, for the most part, has. I enjoy watching it and its always nice to see people's pride for their heritage and watch the actual matches. The yellows and reds and the officiating were definitely unexpected, though. what are your opinions?
if a quiz is quizzical, then what's a test?

ziem
Sophomore Member

Post by ziem » 27 Jun 2006, 18:12

i think everythings going great...maybe just too few surprises lol..but i didnt like the refs

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Post by *~El Maestro~* » 27 Jun 2006, 18:23

i say theres been some nice games people playing with heart for their country, but the refereeing has been horrible. too many mistakes and too many bookings. and i think the african nations have been cheated whenever they were playing against big nations. there were penalties, offsides, and fouls that werent whistled for them and the refs clearly favored the big teams.

ballackfan
Veteran Member

Post by ballackfan » 27 Jun 2006, 18:48

I think the referees are just trying to enforce more disciplines amongs players, since modern football nowaday are going very physical and players today are much stronger than before that could led players injured easier. You know I expects a lot of yellow cards. Players are so silly because the law said no tackle from behind they still do it anyway to stop the oppossing players. For some cases it's quite difficult for referees to know what's wrong or who did what but at the end of the game the better team wins with or without luck. So the referees are not the main reason why teams lost it is the better teams that won.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 27 Jun 2006, 19:01

OK, I've been out to Germany 4 times. I've seen all 4 England games and been to Frankfurt, Nuremburg, Cologne, Munich and Stuttgart

This weekend, I'll add Gelsenkirchen to the list.

In my opinion, FIFA have ruined this tournament:

Ticketing:

The number of 'real' supporters getting tickets for games is a disgrace. All that is happening is these supporters who didn't get tickets are now paying inflated prices from touts who have got their tickets from Yahoo, MacDonalds and most 3rd world countries Football Associations.

Advertising
Obviously I realise this is a revenue raiser but to have those stupid Yahoo, MacDonalds and CocaCola adverts blasting around the stadia at high volume during half-time is pathetic. You literally can't hear yourself talking to the guy next to you

Attendences
Anyway who has been to more than a few matches will tell you, even if all tickets are sold, the stadia are NEVER full. There is always a few people that can't get there. Why do FIFA insist every game has an attendence of SOLD OUT. Number of tickets sold does not equal the attendence

Flags

A big feature of England supporters is the number of flags we hang around the stadium. A large number of flags have been confiscated at the entrance because they have advertising (eg. A pub name) or are too big

Officials
After being told that referees would undergo strict fitness tests and also have to sit exams about the laws of the game to ensure a high standard. I don't need to say any more

I'll do a proper rant in my blog when England get knocked out....probably next Monday

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

jthursto

Post by jthursto » 28 Jun 2006, 01:42

Well im not going into it as far as ratherton did but ive enjoyed it as always :)
Unknown Author of Sig but amazing nonetheless

ballackfan
Veteran Member

Post by ballackfan » 28 Jun 2006, 20:35

Anyway who has been to more than a few matches will tell you, even if all tickets are sold, the stadia are NEVER full. There is always a few people that can't get there. Why do FIFA insist every game has an attendence of SOLD OUT. Number of tickets sold does not equal the attendence
I agreed some part especially the top level in big stadiums are not filled, maybe a problem getting around the city. :lol:

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 29 Jun 2006, 02:38

Well from what ratherton said maybe attending the games hasn't been all it could've, but from the stand point of watching on tv it has lived up to all the hype. Except for the cheating Italians.........
Click it