USA vs Italy

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
englishplayer

It's half time right now and its just after that red card. I personally thought that was an incredibly stupid call. The ref pulled out the red way too fast. It was a bad tackle and should have been a yellow card but a red card was an absolutely awful call. So what do you guys think about the game?

P.S. I had soccer try-outs this morning so I turned the game on in the 40th minute so I haven't gotten to see much.

BenAMsoccer

I agree, horrible call. Seems like there's way too much fouling and shoving this game.

ratherton
Veteran Member

It's a pretty good game.

Shite defending by the US for the Italian goal and an hilarious mis-kick by the Italians.

De Rossi should get a huge ban for the elbow he threw - it was an absolute disgrace.

Agree the US red card was a bit harsh. He was late but that was all. Probably worth a yellow and now more. Maybe the ref was looking to even up the numbers ?

ratherton
Veteran Member

BenAMsoccer wrote:Seems like there's way too much fouling and shoving this game.
Thats because the Italians are involved

soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

i totally agree. They keep red carding! Horrible calls! Took out one of our best players. We seriously need more goals

englishplayer

ratherton wrote:It's a pretty good game.

Shite defending by the US for the Italian goal and an hilarious mis-kick by the Italians.

De Rossi should get a huge ban for the elbow he threw - it was an absolute disgrace.

Agree the US red card was a bit harsh. He was late but that was all. Probably worth a yellow and now more. Maybe the ref was looking to even up the numbers ?
I actually saw some halftime highlights and I agree De Rossi's foul was awful and I actually laughed when I saw the own goal highlight too bad for Italy on that goal. You may be right about the ref wanting to even up the numbers but I still think that would be a bad excuse for pulling out the red.

soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

there's probably gonna end up a fight before this game is over. soo many fouls!! I'm glad italy scored for us though ^^

ratherton
Veteran Member

Pope has gone as well for a 2nd yellow

It's a joke. You can not send off a player for committing 2 fouls.

In fact, he's played the ball

soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

HOW THE HELL DID THEY JUST GIVE POPE A RED CARD? THESE REF'S ARE TOTALLY SCREWED!!

englishplayer

CCCCCCRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPP theirs a red for Eddie Pope I hate this ref in like five game minutes it went from 11 men against ten men then 9 men against 10 men

ratherton
Veteran Member

I think he's given the 2nd yellow for a tackle from behind. Technically, it's a foul even though he won the ball. The common sense decision would have been to let play continue but refs are being forced to stick strictly to the rules or they will not get any more games in the tournament.

I think the ref has been pressured into making the decision by FIFA directives.

englishplayer

AHHHH I got my hopes up with Beasley's goal but I think the ref was right in calling offsides.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Yeah, he was right. Beasley was on side but his shot came straight past a player in an offside position.

This game is quality. Just like a knock-out match.

US need to win to stay in the tournament. Italy need to win cos they don't want to finish 2nd and play Brazil

jthursto

oh my gosh!!!!!!!! We had our 2nd goal!!!!!!! That was a BS call......Blocking the goalie's view?! I can understand if he was right in front of the goalie but he was soo far away from him!! AH!

hustler89
Veteran Member

Well I've learned a few things watching this match and also consolidated some beliefs and prejudices I held before the match:

1) NEVER EVER TRUST A URUAGUAYAN REFEREE.
2) USA can actually play some decent football.
3) Italy are the biggest fags in world football (Excluding Argentina). They dive at every single oppurtunity they get.
4) USA actually have fans that follow them around?!?
5) The football scandal has deeply affected Italian morale and the way they play.
6) De Rossi. I am not even going to comment, cos' I like McBride and I'm going to get angry.