Who's the best goalkeeper in the WC?

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
Alex
Sophomore Member

Ye, who is actually the best goalkeeper in the World Cup 2006?

I know that a lot of ppl believe Petr Cech is oustanding. But I (and most likely a couple of other ppl) watched Sweden vs Trinidad and Tobago. Shaka Hislop was great, really great!

So, who will it be?

Alex_ManUtd
New User

Hislop was good, he really was. But there are also a lot of other good goalkeepers that have impressed me. For instance the Polish goalkeeper. Can't remember his name, but it was weird. ;D

Snoopyx623

Buffon... is good but i agree the Trinidad keeper is mad good.

Alex
Sophomore Member

hehe ye buffon is very good as well.

But man, did u notice what Shaka Hislop said after the game?

Alex
Sophomore Member

"I know now I'll be a happy man when I retire. ... for things to go as they did, well, I think I'll die a happy man".

peps1154
Veteran Member

the polish keeper is called Boruc, hes young and great, cech and Buffon are also outstanding.

hustler89
Veteran Member

Trinidad & Tobago keeper Shaka Hislop didn't play too well yesterday.

I got a strange feeling Fabian Barthez is going to play very well for France. If he plays like he did for France against Switzerland, then he'll certainly be the No.1 Keeper of the WC.

Alex
Sophomore Member

Edwin van der Saar is still very good.. When Manchester United bought him I thought at first that this was a huge mistake. But now, after watching several games I think he's a great goalkeeper.

Peace

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

hustler89 wrote:Trinidad & Tobago keeper Shaka Hislop didn't play too well yesterday.

I got a strange feeling Fabian Barthez is going to play very well for France. If he plays like he did for France against Switzerland, then he'll certainly be the No.1 Keeper of the WC.
yes barthez is very good even though he has attitude problems sometimes. but i still think they should have taken coupet as the n1 goalie instead. he's on fire and just reached his best years. i think hes like 30 or something. coupet has had a better year than barthez so far and has made outstanding saves in the quarter finals of the champion's league against ac milan. its just barthez's reputation that got the better of him.

soccerchic_06
Veteran Member

I would have to say Angola's goal keeper, Joao Ricardo had an outstanding performance today against Mexico. Shot after shot he blocked. Surprised he doesn't play with a club team.

Duffo

The best keeper has to be Paul Robinson with his cat like reactions :D

hustler89
Veteran Member

soccerchic_06 wrote:I would have to say Angola's goal keeper, Joao Ricardo had an outstanding performance today against Mexico. Shot after shot he blocked. Surprised he doesn't play with a club team.
I was also very impressed with Joao Ricardo, but forgot about him...

I was surprised by how well he played against Portugal, but I thought that was a fluke.
But then, he made some excellent saves against Mexico.

I don't think he won't have a club after the World Cup....

Chilavinho
New User

Joao Ricardo and Petr Cech.

Did you see Cech in the last game? I mean he let in two goals, but they were impossible (mostly) to save, he stopped so many others that lots of goalkeepers could never could have.

Barthez is probably my least favorite keeper.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

*~El Maestro~* wrote:
hustler89 wrote:Trinidad & Tobago keeper Shaka Hislop didn't play too well yesterday.

yes barthez is very good even though he has attitude problems sometimes. but i still think they should have taken coupet as the n1 goalie instead. he's on fire and just reached his best years. i think hes like 30 or something. coupet has had a better year than barthez so far and has made outstanding saves in the quarter finals of the champion's league against ac milan. its just barthez's reputation that got the better of him.
Barthez had a nightmare of a game today. He was indecisive on crosses and once when he tried to throw the ball it got stuck on his hand and went 3 feet in front of him. Had there been a Japanese player there it would have been a loss for France not a tie. I'd go with Coupet next game.

It's kind of early to tell who is the best goalie. Usually goalies have huge games in the knockout stages when they can make a world class save to save their team. Buffon and Cech have the potential to be the best but we'll have to wait and see.