Worst Piece of Officiating

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
milanese
Veteran Member

matt wrote:Easily the worst decision was Spain being awarded a penalty and Ukraine being down to 10 men. Dreadful decision - Torres was not touched, he fell over without even appealing for a penalty and the ref sends off a player for nothing. Ukraine were punished twice for nothing, as Villa scored the penalty.
I was soo pissed. I'm part Ukrainian, so they're the team I'm cheering for in the WC(Canada obviously not in it). We actually looked ok to start the 2nd half, but that killed the chance for a positive finish.

We played terrible in that game though. Looked very worn out by the heat, Sheva wasn't on his game, unlucky 2nd goal, and penalty/red card made it a disaster.

Van Bommel's dive agaist CIV leading to a yellow against Zokora was shameful.

Pope's slide was only clean in the eyes of a biased American. Obvious foul.

ratherton
Veteran Member

I think Graham Poll of England has won this 'competition' after the Croatia v Aus game last night

Missed 2 blatant penalties, an off-side goal, disallowing another goal which was OK and giving a player 3 yellow cards

hustler89
Veteran Member

Graham Poll is a donut.
Looks like that was his last game officiating this World Cup.

Worst decisions:

1) Togo, Adebayor penalty, brought down by Swiss centre back.
2) Swiss handball in the box after an Henry shot.
3) Vieira header went BEHIND the line. So obvious.
4) Shevchenko penalty today against Tunisia
5) Spain penalty Vs. Ukraine.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

i don't know if this has been said, but the card on essien yesterday (against usa) that puts him out of the next round was pretty bad. not the worst, but it deserves mentioning. essien didn't get a single warning, and as the card was given in the 8th or 9th minute, he should have gotten a talk first. also, the foul against al temyat today against spain should have been called, and a penalty shoudl have been given. instead, al temyat is given a yellow card. the officiating so far has been horrible. i can't remember one really well called game so far.
Hala Galacticos

JDTRIXTA

Every 1 has been saying that in every game that Australia has played in that the refs are against them and i agrree.

1.) Started off with first game when ref made bad call when Auzzie keeper was fouled and evan Japan thought it wasn't a goal>> (Lucky AUS ended up winning 3-1)

2.) Australias second game agaisnt brazil was absolutley bulls**t . every time a brazil player got touched he went to ground and was given a free kick>> not neccesary

3.) AUS 3rd game agaisnt Croatia. Mark Viduka was rugby tackled by the croatian defender in the box and was not given a penalty>> then the croatian hand balled it in the box for the 2nd time in the match and was not given a penalty against him>> then 1 of the droatian defenders was given 3 yellow cards and the ref forgot he has 3 and did not send him off

refused_743
New User

over all, i have been quite dissapointed by the level of the referees during matches at the WC.
made up/not given penalties, stupid sending offs, blatant dives given free kicks, career-threatening challenges going unpunished., etc... not impressed at all...

penalty not awarded for japan after Tim Cahill clearly fouled,
Graham Poll's 3 yellow card blunder,
no penalty after a rash scissor kick from behind at Omar Bravo,
Adebayor's penalty
Vieira's header
Torres' dive that ended up in a goal and a man down for Ukraine

etc.. i could go on endlessly at HUGE mistakes from some referee's in the tournament... but so far, the top notch has to go to russian Valentin Ivanov, not for a specific event, but for the entire match!

to begin with, the challenge on C. Ronaldo was sickening, then we should ask ourselves since when does head-butting deserves ONLY a yellow card?
but my biggest complaint was at the kick that Robben received on the CHEST while jumping for a header... that WAS a penalty, that WAS a sending off, instead the ref shows a yellow card at Robben for "simmulating".

Overall, Ivanov had a nightmare of a game... 14 yellow cards, 4 reds...

Absolutely terrible and disgraceful

I cannot possibly describe how dissapointed I am talking about this...

ratherton
Veteran Member

I only saw bits of the game but I dont think theref had much choice about giving most of the cards. The players behaviour was a disgrace.

All the red cards were deserved. The dutch lad who elbowed figo should have been sent off earlier for his challenge on Ronaldo

Can't blame the ref for handing out too many cards if the players deserve them

G-Unit-Freestyler

I reckon this world cup probably had the worst referee's in world cup history INCLUDING 2002 and thats saying something. I thought the world cup picked the best referee's from each country... obviously not.

ratherton
Veteran Member

ajc wrote:The refs have definately favored larger footballing nations with more history over the newcomers, such as USA and every team from Africa. If ronaldinho commits the same foul as Mastroeni he wouldn't even have been booked.
Thats rubbish. If anything, football is run by the smaller nations now, not the larger countries

jthursto

The russian ref was ridiculous. He was handing out cards like it was candy.

As for favoring....I think refs do favor bigger countries on some aspects. But you can't really blame them for some of the calls on a few of the African teams. Some of the African players are BIG guys and big guys usually don't have the finesse that the smaller more agile players have.

Think of it like this. Your a big player and you are defending against a small very agile player with incredible footskills. All you can really do is use your strength and get physical. If your a ref and someone gets a little physical and they are bigger you would probably call a foul on them. Its like that call Onyewu got called on in the Ghana game. He was bigger than that guy and pushed a little and gave them a PK. Just for a little shove or two.

ratherton
Veteran Member

The hard thing for refs is that virtually every player on the pitch is trying to cheat and he has to work out which ones to call and which ones are genuine.

Latest example: The Italians know how to get penalties. That one Italy just got was a disgrace

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

ratherton wrote:Latest example: The Italians know how to get penalties. That one Italy just got was a disgrace
Yeah i know, what a dive. Such a dirty game and the Italians were desperate to win so they had to cheat, i could even tell it was a dive, the ref should have seen it.

jthursto

I take it Italy just scored a PK? Damn you ratherton, I TiVoed that game to watch when I get home. haha jk jk man.

ratherton
Veteran Member

The ref has made the headlines again

interista

i think the refs like the attention. they give out yellow cards so they can be seen on tv