English Squad announced

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 10 May 2006, 20:07

So your definition of a genius is someone who picks 4 strikers - 2 who aren't fit, 1 is crap and one is still in nappies ??

I don't consider that the sign of a genius

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

A-man147

Post by A-man147 » 10 May 2006, 20:37

ratherton wrote:
If that was the case, I'd agree but it's not one gamble. That over-paid, over-sexed and over-here grandad is gambling on Rooney, Walcott, Owen, Campbell, Green and Lennon.

Dude Robert Green is really good, and if he didnt pick Rooney and Owen there would be even more people pissed. I love Arsenal but Walcott should'nt be on the team and as I said I love Arsenal and Lennon Should'nt be on the team, Wrighty should.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 10 May 2006, 20:48

I've seen Green play several times - he is not good and he also hasn't played since the start of April due to injury

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

jonte

Post by jonte » 10 May 2006, 21:31

ratherton wrote:So your definition of a genius is someone who picks 4 strikers - 2 who aren't fit, 1 is crap and one is still in nappies ??

I don't consider that the sign of a genius
And hes probably gonna use one of them (4-5-1). What is best, using two of those sucky ppl or just one, then have a good midfielder instead?
1+1=2.

Ok then, show me ur genius ideas.
Zlatanist javisst!

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 10 May 2006, 21:55

There isn't an obvious answer cos he's picked such a stupid squad, you don't know what will work

I wouldn't play 5 in midfield. Having an extra player there, even on your side, takes away some space to play in.

The first thing I would try would be to play Gerrard just behind Owen and have Carrick in as the holding midfield player.

That would leave the first choice 4-4-2 formation unchanged. It would also let Gerrard play much further forward

He'll probably start Crouch though with Gerrard holding midfield even though Gerrard will score and create more goals.

I'd also have kicked Hargreaves and Jenas out of the squad and had Defoe and Bent in there.

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt » 11 May 2006, 17:09

I would like to remind everyone that we are not here to debate the intelligence of Scandivians in general. It seems a few people would like to question Sven Goran Erikson's (myself included) but let us please keep it at that.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 11 May 2006, 18:53

You are obviously referring to my post.

The Swedish guy stated Eriksson (wow, I must have calmed down a bit as I used his name) was a genius.

If someone posted on here that they thought Charles Clarke was a brilliant Home Secretary, I would expect that statement to be questioned and probably ridiculed.

In my opinion, Eriksson is anything but a genius hence my post.

In general, Swedes are very proud of any of their players/managers doing well in other countries. I live, work and pay tax in Sweden so I see it on a daily basis. When it's Champions League night, I don't need to see the TV schedule to see which games are on. It'll be any club with Swedish players.

The Swedish guy may think Eriksson is a genius.

I think he's a money-grabbing lothario who is in danger of wasting the finest group of players England have produced for generations. If Bobby Robson was 25 years younger, Brazil would not be the clear favourites for the World Cup.

Maradona
Veteran Member

Post by Maradona » 11 May 2006, 21:14

If Bobby Robson was 25 years younger, Brazil would not be the clear favourites for the World Cup.

Couldn't disagree with you there.

Everyone is shocked with Sven's decision, even Walcott. It's a bit unfair for other english players who have been trying so hard to get in the national squad. Like users mentionned before, 2 of the strikers aren't fit and they have Crouch, who's developping anorexia and doesn't do anything on the field, and Walcott, who's still being breastfed, to be on the starting roster while Defoe and Reo-Cocker are on standby. I ain't no psychic but let me tell ya that England are not even going trough the round of 16 this year.

upandcoming

Post by upandcoming » 12 May 2006, 01:21

I don't know what Sven is trying to do here but i do know he is not trying to win a world cup. I think the gamble of taking Walcott would of been O.K he could of been a pleasent suprise and played well as a back up striker. He would also have the opportunity of playing in the greatest tournament in the World and would carry that on to push him latter in his career. Maybe even make him better for 2010. But England not taking Bent and putting Defoe as a back up is just crazy. I know there are a lot of people that don't like Vassell but I would prefer him over Crouch. I think SWP would of been a great addition to the English squad and is better then all of Englands midfielders other then Gerrard and Lampard. You can't say that you are not taking him because he hasn't had a lot of playing time with Chelsea because Walcott who has never played in a premiership match and he is going and injured Owen is going to and he hasn't played much footy before his injury any way. Never mind how his form will be after his injury. I think I would prefer Defoe over Owen even if Owen was healthy at this stage of his career.

peps1154
Veteran Member

Post by peps1154 » 12 May 2006, 01:42

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. While I might agree with the posts that say that Sven doesnt know what hes doing, I am not actually going to say this because the tournament did not start yet. While Sven has made terrible decisions in the past I guarentee to you that if he won the World Cup no one would rememeber those decisions... Therfore dont judge him and be so critical before the tournament starts. Other than that I can see that you, ratheron, dont rlealy like Swedish people and thats propably because you live in Sweden and they get on your nerves, however you don't have to mention in every post that Eriksson is Swedish because when you take into considaration what you write about him, that makes all Swedes look like dumb ass'.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 12 May 2006, 05:22

peps1154 wrote:Other than that I can see that you, ratheron, dont rlealy like Swedish people and thats propably because you live in Sweden and they get on your nerves, however you don't have to mention in every post that Eriksson is Swedish because when you take into considaration what you write about him, that makes all Swedes look like dumb ass'.
Not true, I've worked in Sweden for nearly 6 years so if I didn't like Swedish people, I wouldn't have stayed here for so long. I don't have a problem with Swedish people.

I'm proud of being English and like many England supporters, I don't particularly like having a foreign coach in charge of our team. Being manager of England is one of the biggest jobs in world football and it's a sad reflection on our game that we didn't find a suitable man in England to do the job.

However, in 2001, Eriksson was entrusted with grooming the finest group of English players for years into World Champions. Initially, there was a lot of enthusiasm but following that loon Keegan and the morbid Howard Wilkinson wasn't exactly difficult. Relatively easy qualification groups coupled with an outstanding group of players, meant his qualification record is amazing but for years he just hasn't understood the importance of friendlies. He doesn't understand English football. We aren't technically as gifted as other nations but we have always played with passion. Eriksson is cautious and unadventureous (on the football field, not in the office)

Since we lost 3-1 at home to Australia, he has continued to turn friendlies into 22 a side embarrassments. After the Australia defeat he said "I didn't realise the rivalary between England and Australia, if I had, we wouldn't have chosen to play them". What kind of statement is that !!!!

Since then, he's continuted to waste these matches as changes to blood young players, try formations. Instead, he kept picking his favourite players every time. Any manager of substance would have been building up to the finals and would have a number of game plans in place in case of injuries.

This squad he's named would have been more suited to a friendly match. I actually have no objection to Walcott or Lennon coming in from nowhere. I'm hugely concerned about the lack of strikers in the squad. You have to take 4 fully fit, experienced strikers to a tournament like this. Walcott should be a fifth striker.

England fans pay a fortune to follow the team anywhere in the world in huge numbers. To get tickets for away matches, we have to join a supporters club where our police backgrounds are checked, we have to register travel plans once we are allocated tickets and then after the games, we have to provide proof we attended the games - failure to do so, even once means you are excluded from the travel club and you won't get tickets again. We have to put up with constant abuse and mis-treatment due to our reputation earned in the 1970s and 1980s while supporters of other countries consistently go unpunished. In return, we expect whoever is in charge of our national team to behave properly and treat each and every game seriously. The current manager is paid a fortune and in return he has used his position to get a string of commercial endorsements, chase women and openly tout himself for the Chelsea job before Mourinho took over.

When it was announced that Germany would host the 2006 World Cup, you only had to look at the young players in England to see we would be serious contenders. Planning should have started a long time ago and the naming of the final squad (which isn't until NEXT Monday) should have filled everyone with hope and confidence. That certainly isn't the case with many of the England fans I know.

That said, we'll still be taking more fans than anyone else to Germany and will support the team as we always do. We have world class players and world class fans. The same cannot be said about the manager. If we somehow manage to win the world cup, it will be in spite of Eriksson, not because of him. England fans have every right to be angry with the way we have been let down.

ROIUSA
Veteran Member

Post by ROIUSA » 12 May 2006, 20:13

i agree w/ ratherton on most of his points. and i i agree w/ hom and disagree w/ many others in that i think lennon should be there. hes been a solid contributer and i think hes a solid addition to the team, as long as he plays unselfish.
I was raised on Celtic, their history and their pride
With my culture and my faith, I wear the green & white.

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who does not want to be broken -Bobby Sands MP

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 13 May 2006, 10:55

I don't know whether it came across in any of my rants (I've calmed down a bit now) but I think it's great that players like Walcott and Lennon are going. However, you have to make sure you have enough fit senior players which Eriksson clearly hasn't done with regard to strikers.

How many countries are going to the finals without the leading scorer from their domestic league?

Thankfully, Rooney seems to be making good progress and there was talk he may be available for 1 or maybe even 2 of the group games.

owensglory

Post by owensglory » 25 May 2006, 17:14

In my view,Sven is trying to become a hero for England by bringing Walcott into
the 23 men squad.He would be the one who discovered the talents of the youngster and take a gamble with a good anticipation that he will be the one who will score many goals and win World Cup for England this summer,like Pele did 48 years ago.He would be the manager who will bring a young talent to become a star player in World cup,like Brazil's manager in 1958.

But he's wrong.He would better bring in the likes of Fowler,Sheringham,Heskey, Vassell,Davies,Cole(of Chelsea),Ashton etc but not Walcott ,who is still in his nappies!

More importantly,if Walcott can't perform well in World Cup,his young mentality maybe will be affected,and his future will be in danger!I'm serious Sven,this gamble will bring disadvantage to England,you,and Walcott himself.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 26 May 2006, 05:42

England played a 'B' international against Belarus last night and lost 2-1. I'm not bothered about the result and this is exactly the way friendlies should have been used by Eriksson in the last 2 years. Some key points:

Michael Owen: Played 60 mins. Looked sharp and no problems - hurrah !!

Peter Crouch: Actually played really well. Needs to learn to attack the ball

Robert Green: Came on as sub. Spilled a shot - schoolboy error. Would have been a cause for concern but he ruptured his groin taking a goal kick and is out of the WC. Will be replaced by Carson from Liverpool

Michael Carrick: Looked comfortable and has the ability to play some fantastic passes. Not amazingly quick but has the ability to find space and time on the ball

Stuart Downing: Looked OK. First time England have had a genuine left sided midfielder of the required ability for years

Theo Walcott: All the hype was about him. He played 30 mins and showed flashes of what he's about. Incredible pace and hit one stunning shot

Aaron Lennon: Man of the match. They didn't know what to do with him. He is very quick and was going past players either side.