English Squad announced

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
powell
English Meister

English Squad announced

Post by powell » 08 May 2006, 18:46

hey the english squad was announced early today and i wanted to know peoples views on aaron lennon theo wallcott getting in the squad and leaving out the lights of defoe, andy johnson and shaun wright-phillips. heres the full selection
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... .stm#squad

hustler89
Veteran Member

Post by hustler89 » 08 May 2006, 18:55

Man I'm real disappointed Darren Bent was left out. Top English goalscorer in the EPL. He wanted it real bad and I feel for him man. :(

Eriksson is a clown. Walcott has not played 1 match for Arsenal whereas Wright Phillips has started 9 games for Chelsea but is in standby. It's a bloody joke. :x

Lennon certainly deserves his place, but I think he should be given the oppurtunity to battle it out with Wright Phillips, so both will have good mental mind of a willingless to succeed.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 08 May 2006, 19:30

WARNING: If you are easily offended, don't read this post !!

I can't remember the last time I was so angry. The man is an absolute f**king w**ker. I'd have no objection to Walcott if everyone was fit. Instead he picks just 4 strikers - 2 are injured, 1 is a giraffe and 1 is still in nappies. Then he doesn't even pick the leading English scorer in the Premier League on standby. Andy Johnson is shite. There isn't a single aspect of his game that makes him better than Darren Bent. He's never even seen Walcott (who looks like a mini Craig David) play so his listens to that food poisoner Wenger. If Walcott is so ready for the World Cup, lets see him on the bench for Arsenal next Wednesday. No ?? Thought not. Hypocritcal tosser

Campbell is an emotional wreck and looked dodgy against Wigan on Sunday.

He leaves out Ledley King who has a broken foot and then picks Rooney who also has a broken foot. Worzel Green hasn't played for the scum (norwich) for 6 weeks but he gets into the squad.

He says he's taking Walcot and he knows it's a gamble. I quote "He is a great talent. I have 23 players, why not take one gambling?"

If that was the case, I'd agree but it's not one gamble. That over-paid, over-sexed and over-here grandad is gambling on Rooney, Walcott, Owen, Campbell, Green and Lennon.

On top of that, he's taking his lovechild Hargreaves, presumabley because he can speak German and set up the Swede with some local chicks. He's definitely not in on ability. I don't care what he's done for Bayern. He's always been crap for England every single time I've had the misfortune to watch the inept fool.

What I can't understand is why for the last 3 years he has picked all his favourites for all the friendlies who turn up, perform at about 30% then as soon as a major tournament comes round, he abandons those players and brings in loads of people for the first time.

£4m a year for that c**t is a disgrace. The sooner he f**ks off the better. A while ago, I said on here, if we win the World Cup, it'll be in spite of the Swede not because of him.

Finally, an apology to the lad who said the Trinidad & Tobago had a chance to beat England. I rubbished the suggestion. That is a very real possibility with this clueless f**kwit in charge of the best set of players the country has produced in 40 years. If only Bobby Robson was 25 years younger

Svennis ar en fita !!!!

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 09 May 2006, 20:06

this is an embarassment. england were my next team to support after the usa, and sven blew it. he might as well hand the trophy to brasil, as the only team that had a chance to challenge for it just went down the crapper. why would he bring walcott!? i'm amazed at how much one person could ruin a team when they've got so many good players to choose from. and i agree with ratherton, why the hell would he choose only 4 strikers when 2 of them are questionable to even be medically able to play!? :x
Hala Galacticos

peps1154
Veteran Member

Post by peps1154 » 10 May 2006, 01:11

You guys are being to critical of the "swedish clown" when u consider that the tournament has not started yet.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 10 May 2006, 05:20

Thats cos he is being paid an absolute fortune and it's quite obvious he hasn't got a single idea.

Planning for the World Cup finals didn't start when we beat Poland to finish top of the group. It should have started when we finished Euro 2004.

Rooney had broken his foot in the QF against Portugal and he got his tactics wrong by bringing on Vassell so you hav thought he'd learn from that.

Oh no, what does he do? He wastes countless friendlies over the last 2 years by picking his regular, undroppable favourites. The players enter a comfort zone as they know they will always be picked so the perform at 30% subjecting us fans to some embarrassing performances - Madrid and Copenhagen to name just two....and do you think flights and hotels are magically cheaper because it's a friendly match ??

Last autumn he was messing around for formations so he didn't have to drop Beckham, Gerrard or Lampard so we end up with some stupid formation with Owen up front by himself and Beckham playing in front of the back 4 in a qualifier in Belfast.

He's been ignoring Darren Bent all season apart from the last friendly when he played 83 mins but kept picking Crouch despite the fact he couldn't hit an aircraft carrier from 20 yards.

Now just 4 weeks before the biggest tournament in the world and one we are 2nd favourites for, he picks a squad that is better suited to a friendly match. His decisions are inconsistent and baffling. The decision around the strikers is beyond belief. How the f**k can anyone pick just 4 strikers when 2 players are injured????????? The 2 fit strikers are useless and untried. Wenger won't pick Walcott for Arsenal who only finished 4 in England so why consider him for England when we have so many problems in that position ???

This moron has wasted the finest generation of players England has had for years. If he put as much effort into the team as he did to chasing women, we'd be world beaters.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

flashywinger
New User

Post by flashywinger » 10 May 2006, 06:03

Basically, I totally agree with the English poster. You are absolutely right about Sven, he is a complete idiot. He doesn't understand how to be a good coach and is easily influenced by people around him, both his players and fellow coaches.

The biggest problem that I have with his choices up top is the fact that Defoe is left out. One of the best strikers in the world, gets cheated out of his position twice. That sucks so much for him. First in Hotspurs he gets benched after performing amazingly in the first half of the season, now he loses out his position to some 17 year old punk who isn't even good enough for Arsenal (a great team, but they have beeen horrible in the EPL).

Like you said, if he is so good, why don't you play him Wenger? Other than that, Peter Crouch is a moron who has no skill whatsover. He doesn't know what he is doing on the field. Overall Swen's strikers are lacking right now. Their best player, Rooney, is injured, Owen (my fav of all the English players) is unlucky and isn't at 100 percent, Walcott doesn't even play pro, Crouch is like a giraffe. Let's just hope that lampard can score enough penalties.

Other than that, I believe that the team needs an overhaul and a more competitive spirit. Young players always challenge the older favorites and make them play better. So he should have used the last 2 years preparing the youth to challenge for serious positions, instead of listening to his star players and making his decision in order to please others. Swen is an idiot, no doubt about it.
Always play like you're untouchable

Ronaldinho10

Post by Ronaldinho10 » 10 May 2006, 15:38

Haha , a lot of anger towards Sven here!
The only one of his decisions I can't understand is why Bent isn't in the squad , I think he should have been in for , maybe , Hargreaves. The fact that he isn't even on the stand by list is crazy. I think bringing Theo Walcott is a surprise , but it's a great chance for him and wil be a great experience for him , I think that flashywinger calling him "a 17 year old punk" isn't too clever because Arsene Wenger would not pay lots of money for nothing. Having listened to interviews from Theo Walcott , it seems that he is a very level headed and well spoken. I think people upset about his call up are just jealous of him and his talent.

Rooney will definetely not be fit for any part in the World Cup , the only reason that he is in the squad list is so people don't start going all crazy and saying there's no chance - Wayne Rooney will play no part in the World Cup (and coincidently this is the excuse that all England fans will make for not winning the World Cup , despite the fact that with a fully fit Rooney they wouldn't have won the World Cup anyway.)

Michaal Owen will be fully fit , there's no doubt about that. So the strikers that'll go to the World Cup will be Owen , Crouch , Walcott and Defoe (Defoe in for Rooney the day before the tournament kicks off) Even when Defoe comes in , Darren Bent should still be there , like I said before , possibly for Hargreaves.

Anyways seems like the only mistake Sven has made is not putting Darren Bent in , apart from that I don't see anything wrong with the squad , oh and Rooney being included is just clinging on to false hope , but spose you can't blame him for that , I mean the rest of the country reckons that England are 2nd favourites!!!

And all this from a Scotsman :D 8) :lol:
Without doubt.
Credit AC _Milan>* for the sig.

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt » 10 May 2006, 16:34

I think the reality is, if Rooney and Owen are not fit, Engloand will not win the World Cup. If they are, anything is possible.

I am wondering if this is Sven's final 'up yours!' to the English media who have made his life hell since his arrival. Walcott, Downing, Campbell and Lennon ahead of Bent, Defoe, Wright-Phillips and King?

He would have done better, in my view, to leave out all the injured players altogether. At least he would have had some more reliable depth in the squad. A fit, average player is always better than an injured one.

The only positive thing I can think of is the extra pace that Walcott and Lennon will add. BUT Lennon is a winger and Beckham and Joe Cole are unlikely to be dropped, and Walcott has never played a top-flight game and won't start ahead of Crouch should the formation be altered.

Not to mention the distinctly average England performances we seem to get from Gerrard, Terry and Crouch.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

Wiseman_philosopher

Post by Wiseman_philosopher » 10 May 2006, 17:09

matt wrote: A fit, average player is always better than an injured one.
Not in the case of Rooney.

I can't be bothered to read all of the rants, but I'm just saying, lets support England for the World Cup instead of writing them off before it's begun.

We are not involved in the set-up, so we are only judging from the outside. Let the man do his job. Despite going out unfortunately in two tournaments, he has been very successful.
He who thinks too much about every step he takes will stay on one leg all his life.

jonte

Post by jonte » 10 May 2006, 17:22

The man is a genius! :twisted:
Zlatanist javisst!

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 10 May 2006, 19:11

Doesn't say a lot for Swedish intelligence if you class him as a genius.

jonte

Post by jonte » 10 May 2006, 19:44

Ahhh, thats why England havent beaten us since the 60's.
Zlatanist javisst!

powell
English Meister

Post by powell » 10 May 2006, 19:48

but sven hasnt been the manager since the 60's other england managers and teams have beat the swedish

jonte

Post by jonte » 10 May 2006, 19:54

You dont get me. He insulted my countrys intelligence, therefor I insulted urs.
Got it?
Zlatanist javisst!