2018/2022 World Cup Decision

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 03 Jan 2011, 01:31

soccer11 wrote:Sepp Blatter says he wants to set up an anti-corruption committee to police FIFA. Seriously.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9333340.stm

This quote is the best of the bunch.
Blatter wrote:"I will take care of it personally, to ensure there is no corruption at Fifa."
Only makes sense to set this up AFTER such a giant fraud to give the appearance of objectivity.

Can't wait for the all the FA's to sue FIFA over lost revenue for a 2022 WC in Winter in the middle of their seasons, especially after they won the bid by boasting "the best air conditioned stadiums" known to man.

They'd be better off stripping Qatar of the 2022 WC now rather than doing it 2 or 3 years from now when they realize they made a mistake and it won't work. Muppets.

Met

Post by Met » 07 Jan 2011, 12:04

Good news, 11 years from now, we could be in the middle of a World Cup.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9297416.stm. I have to mention that are many other sporting websites available, not just the BBC.

How is this going to work out? I know in SA they started their season early and finished early to accomadate the World Cup. How will the season work? Part one and Part 2?

Blatter said "When you play football you have to protect the main people - the players." Ahem, who is watching those players? Players asking for a Winter break, instead they are getting a World Cup. Yup Blatter, you are sure protecting them!

I don't see how someone who has played football could turn it's focal point into a farce really.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 07 Jan 2011, 17:09

What the fu** happened to the game, its become so political it sickens me. :(

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 07 Jan 2011, 19:40

I would love to know what kind of money changed hands or what type of "sweet-heart" deals have been made to make this recommendation without have a seizure. The FA's won't be happy for sure. The players will be exhausted whenever "Part 2" of the season resumes, thus possibly manipulating ALL other competitions(UCL, Cup's, League Title). If a player is injured in a "Winter WC", they could be out for the rest of the season. This is one of the most irresponsible decision+action after the fact(it's too hot...realllllly?) that shows that FIFA is mind-numbingly stubborn to admit they made a mistake and correct it.

What if the boom of Dubai has subsided by then, causing some mass exodus of funds(investment)? There are simply too many risks - but then again - they knew that from the start.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 07 Jan 2011, 22:14

NewBornProdigy wrote:What the fu** happened to the game, its become so political it sickens me. :(
The French are the problem. Put some Canadians in charge. We won't know any more about the sport than Blatter, but at least we'll be friendly, fair, and ensure the game gets played on skates ASAP.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

Post by LiveTheDream » 07 Jan 2011, 23:10

Rome_Leader wrote:
NewBornProdigy wrote:What the fu** happened to the game, its become so political it sickens me. :(
The French are the problem. Put some Canadians in charge. We won't know any more about the sport than Blatter, but at least we'll be friendly, fair, and ensure the game gets played on skates ASAP.
Aren't loads of Canadians kind of French though? :) (Sorry, probably not the most politically correct way of saying it... :? )
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 08 Jan 2011, 01:45

Well yes, but we needn't use any of them. In fact, just stick me in charge. :D I write English good.

All roads lead to Rome.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 08 Jan 2011, 15:56

They speak French in Quebec, that doesn't necessarily mean they are French. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but calling some Canadians French would be like calling Brazilians Portuguese, Argentinians Spanish or even English French.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 08 Jan 2011, 17:55

french people are actually quite a small minority here, other than in quebec and maybe new brunswick. more people speak arabic in canada than french.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 08 Jan 2011, 18:57

Aye, but you wouldn't be wrong in calling them 'French Canadians'. Their French is a bit different from France French as well. s4 is correct about the whole Arabic thing. Lots of Italians too.

All roads lead to Rome.

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

Post by LiveTheDream » 08 Jan 2011, 23:10

Such as yourself, the Italian Mod? :D
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 08 Jan 2011, 23:25

Yeah, depends what part of Canada really. In Vancouver, there is pretty much everything you can think of with little sections spread out here and there. Being from North Carolina, it's quite a culture shock but a great experience. I'll watch games at this little authentic Italian coffee shop and the atmosphere is unbelievable. It can be standing room only some mornings, but we always have our little Arsenal table with 3 other guys that are die-hard there for almost every game(except the 4:45 AM's because it's not open yet).

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 09 Jan 2011, 00:50

LiveTheDream wrote:Such as yourself, the Italian Mod? :D
Not correlated at all. :p It's just a play off a movie title, The Italian Job. I'm as English a Canadian as ever there was. More American than French for sure.

All roads lead to Rome.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 12 Jan 2011, 20:59

Or wasn't that there before?lol.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 12 Jan 2011, 21:22

It was, perhaps she assumed I was an Italian-Canadian or something. Nope, Canadian born and raised.

All roads lead to Rome.