2018/2022 World Cup Decision

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 04 Dec 2010, 11:27

The fallout in England is starting.

England are reporting to have cancelled their friendly with Thailand in June. It was going to be played to celebrate something to do with the King. It was hoped that playing the game would help with the 2018 bid.

The FA are also planning to scale back the work they do with developing the game overseas.

Since Lord Triesman resigned as head of the FA in May (ironically for called Russia and Spain corrupt), Roger Burden has been acting head with the view to taking full control.

He has withdrawn his application to be permanent head of the FA stating he does want to have to work with people (FIFA) he can't trust.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt » 04 Dec 2010, 20:41

Rome_Leader wrote:Let us not forget, guys, that there's total prohibition in Qatar. No drinks at the games; in fact, it's a crime to drink alcohol or be drunk anywhere. Can't see that going over too well with too many.
Actually they said that they would permit the sale and consumption of alcohol in certain places during the World Cup.

ratherton, I agree that Fifa should be investigated. I just think that the England bid team was wrong to criticise Panorama and the Times while the bid was still going, only to turn around and criticise Fifa now that they haven't won. If they agreed with the investigations privately then they should have kept their mouths shut officially.

Furthermore I can't look beyond votes and wanting to stay away from a few protests as motivations for Cameron's trip. Given all the other factors it may be irrelevant that Putin didn't bother to make such an appearance, but it's still true that he didn't. To me it looked more like desperation rather than enthusiasm to have Cameron, Beckham and Prince William all there.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 05 Dec 2010, 12:19

matt wrote:
Rome_Leader wrote:Let us not forget, guys, that there's total prohibition in Qatar. No drinks at the games; in fact, it's a crime to drink alcohol or be drunk anywhere. Can't see that going over too well with too many.
Actually they said that they would permit the sale and consumption of alcohol in certain places during the World Cup.

ratherton, I agree that Fifa should be investigated. I just think that the England bid team was wrong to criticise Panorama and the Times while the bid was still going, only to turn around and criticise Fifa now that they haven't won. If they agreed with the investigations privately then they should have kept their mouths shut officially.

Furthermore I can't look beyond votes and wanting to stay away from a few protests as motivations for Cameron's trip. Given all the other factors it may be irrelevant that Putin didn't bother to make such an appearance, but it's still true that he didn't. To me it looked more like desperation rather than enthusiasm to have Cameron, Beckham and Prince William all there.
Strange isn't it, in Australia that bird who is Prime Minister has got a bit of stick for not going to Zurich to boost their bid. Prince William is President of the Football Association so I think it was right that they both were there.

With regards the protests, Nick Clegg and Vince Cable are getting a lot more stick than Cameron.

Who is going to investigate FIFA? They aren't accountable to anyone. The only way to hurt them is stop the flow of cash. Its all they care about.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 14 Dec 2010, 22:35

Interesting story about gays going to the Qatar World Cup and Blatter being his usual self.

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slu ... gaycomment

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

Post by LiveTheDream » 15 Dec 2010, 11:10

God Blatter's a moron. Comments such as that disgust me. This quote (from the article) sums it up for me: “It’s disappointing to see that an organization that is promoting the game, which in its statutes condemns discrimination of any kind, is coming out with comments like this.” If FIFA were actually interested in condemning discrimination of this particular kind, they wouldn't have given the tournament to Qatar. Morons. :evil:
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 15 Dec 2010, 19:10

Its the latest in the long list of reasons why Qatar should never have been awarded the 2022 World Cup.

However, people seem to have missed the biggest problem with the country - I'm sure I saw some vuvuzelas in a news clip there when it was announced they had won the tournament.

I can forgive a lot of extreme views but I draw the line at vuvuzelas.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 18 Dec 2010, 00:47

Even more possible changes to the 2022 World Cup.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 26,00.html
Winter World cup, huh? Good luck convincing Uefa to go along with that.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 18 Dec 2010, 22:19

Wow, FIFA really thought this decision through awarding it to Quatar didn't they?

This is unbelievable. Someone, anyone needs to take a stand against this. But who has the power??? Ratherton, do something!!!!!

Every week or so for the next ten years there will be another story depicting how terrible of a decision this was. Thanks for becoming the EF resident "Why Sepp Blatter is Moron" reporter, soccer11. Keep the links coming :wink:
Click it

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 18 Dec 2010, 22:52

perfect! and while we're at it, why don't we move the summer olympics to january as well?

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

Post by LiveTheDream » 18 Dec 2010, 22:56

Eh, for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere, EVERY World Cup is a Winter World Cup. ;)

If Qatar were planning on dicking around with when they were planning to have the Cup, they should have been up front right from the off about it. I'm still struggling to see why on Earth Qatar got the Cup in the first place. Have they ever even qualified for the tournament before???
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 19 Dec 2010, 18:17

ajc wrote: Thanks for becoming the EF resident "Why Sepp Blatter is Moron" reporter, soccer11. Keep the links coming :wink:
My pleasure :P

It's moronic to even suggest it IMO. The leagues that send the most players to the World Cup (European Leagues) would be in the middle of their season.

I wonder what the next proposed change will be.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 19 Dec 2010, 19:18

ajc wrote:Wow, FIFA really thought this decision through awarding it to Quatar didn't they?

This is unbelievable. Someone, anyone needs to take a stand against this. But who has the power??? Ratherton, do something!!!!!

Every week or so for the next ten years there will be another story depicting how terrible of a decision this was. Thanks for becoming the EF resident "Why Sepp Blatter is Moron" reporter, soccer11. Keep the links coming :wink:
Its all totally gay. The next 3 World Cups are Brazil, Russia and Qatar - a nightmare for all fans wanting to go there.

Brazil is ridden with drug gang warfare and you'll need to fly everywhere to get around.

Russia has a huge problem with mindless, racist fans. Not to mention the distance between the furthest east and west venues is around 3,000km.

Qatar they have vuvuzelas.

I have probably been to my last world cup tournament.

Don't forget, they'd have to alter 2 seasons for a January World Cup in Qatar as the Confederations Cup is played 12 months before the finals.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 20 Dec 2010, 23:47

Not to concerned about the Russians winning the world cup, England was way to arrogant having the big sh*t attitude of "home of football" and "the premier league stadiums." Fifa is supposedly trying to establish football in countries where it is not yet that prevalent. It would be the opposite to take it to somewhere like England or Spain where it is the number one sport.

At the same time, where is the need to take it to Qatar? A sh*t hole that represents everything that is wrong with the world now-a-days. Personally wouldn't give a sh*t if a A-bomb was dropped in this poor racist excuse of a country now. Once people who have never heard of the dump realise how bad the world cup is going to be there, there will be an uproar and the whole thing will turn into a shambles on FIFA's part, which is something I'm quite looking forward to if I'm totally honest, the bastards.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 02 Jan 2011, 23:47

Sepp Blatter says he wants to set up an anti-corruption committee to police FIFA. Seriously.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9333340.stm

This quote is the best of the bunch.
Blatter wrote:"I will take care of it personally, to ensure there is no corruption at Fifa."

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 02 Jan 2011, 23:51

Then Sepp need not look further than the mirror.