2018/2022 World Cup Decision

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 02 Dec 2010, 18:39

If you discount the English vote they only won 1 out of 21. The fact it was the "technically strongest" bid 1 out of 21 shows how high up the list of priorities quality is when awarding the World Cup.

The Quatar bid is a joke but as long as the USA find no reason to invade Iran in the next decade it should be a good tournament.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 02 Dec 2010, 19:44

I hear there is racism over there (not to sound biased but from living in the middle east for a long while, i do agree kind of)..........but they are promising an island stadium, which sounds pretty awesome.

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt » 02 Dec 2010, 22:49

Some of my thoughts on the matter...

Can't say I'm too surprised about either verdict, although England going out in the first round of voting wasn't what I thought would happen considering the other unsuccessful candidates.

It would be very stupid for the England bid team to criticise both Fifa and the BBC.

Personally I hope the money that would have gone towards the World Cup is directed at grassroots football in England. Moreover for David Cameron to spend two nights in a five-star hotel in Zurich to support a bid package that cost £15m whilst his government is cutting over £100m from school sports is indicative of not only his priorities but also the FA's. I found the whole thing a bit nauseating.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

bsc
Veteran Member

Post by bsc » 03 Dec 2010, 01:56

Had2bHarry wrote:Im hoping for Australia to get 2022 obviously :D
I doubt Qatar will get it. Its sweltering June/July, the heat might be too much especially for some of the European players from colder countries and it'll melt the oil out of Ronaldos hair for sure
WHOA YOU'RE BACK!

A couple years ago you promised me a sig but please don't make it! I decided I don't want it anymore ;)
Image Image
And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 03 Dec 2010, 04:30

bsc wrote:
Had2bHarry wrote:Im hoping for Australia to get 2022 obviously :D
I doubt Qatar will get it. Its sweltering June/July, the heat might be too much especially for some of the European players from colder countries and it'll melt the oil out of Ronaldos hair for sure
WHOA YOU'RE BACK!

A couple years ago you promised me a sig but please don't make it! I decided I don't want it anymore ;)
Hey don't feel left out, she was supposed to be in the Master EF Video compilation...but noo...she didn't send me the clips she filmed. Same goes for nev, rzad, expert...all you PEOPLE CURSE YOU!

Back on topic.

oscarjackson

Post by oscarjackson » 03 Dec 2010, 12:43

I have to say I've lost a lot of respect for Fifa in the last 24 hrs. I can't see many people going to Qatar, but maybe they can bribe us... After next years Asian cup in Qatar Fifa will see what a mistake they've made.

I can't understand how Japan and Korea got more votes than Aus in the first round, 1 vote is a bit of a joke.

And I was really looking for an excuse to go to England in 2018, it would have been the best tournament in my opinion. But at least there's still club football, which is so much better than the world cup anyway (in Europe, not here..)

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 03 Dec 2010, 15:21

I will say though, some of the stadiums proposed by Qatar are pretty interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcAi3GLQyOI
as to what they'll actually look like, I guess we'll just have to see in 12 years.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 03 Dec 2010, 17:11

Its all just a big stunt. taking the World Cup there is not in the best interest of football in that region of the world nor is it a suitable place to expect world football to gather.

I would imagine many Fifa executive members will be lining their pockets in coming years as a result of this decision.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 03 Dec 2010, 18:40

ScottyBoy wrote:Its all just a big stunt. taking the World Cup there is not in the best interest of football in that region of the world nor is it a suitable place to expect world football to gather.

I would imagine many Fifa executive members will be lining their pockets in coming years as a result of this decision.
Agreed. Sepp Blatter needs to line his mouth with my ball sack. Sure, Qatar, may be rich, but in all honesty, the Middle East is so unstable it's ridiculous.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 03 Dec 2010, 19:30

matt wrote:Some of my thoughts on the matter...

Can't say I'm too surprised about either verdict, although England going out in the first round of voting wasn't what I thought would happen considering the other unsuccessful candidates.

It would be very stupid for the England bid team to criticise both Fifa and the BBC.

Personally I hope the money that would have gone towards the World Cup is directed at grassroots football in England. Moreover for David Cameron to spend two nights in a five-star hotel in Zurich to support a bid package that cost £15m whilst his government is cutting over £100m from school sports is indicative of not only his priorities but also the FA's. I found the whole thing a bit nauseating.
If you look at the voting, Belguim/Holland got 4 votes in the first round. In the second round, they got 2. This was done to ensure England dropped out first. It was a complete stitch up.

BBC and Andrew Jennings are right to investigate those corrupt fu**ers. Keeping quiet and towing the line is the cowards way. Thats just my opinion but I don't want England to be FIFA's bitch. I hope MI5 lift Blatter and Warner and take them on a water boarding holiday in Guantanemo Bay for a few months.

England spend a lot of money helping the game in foreign countries and we also play friendlies in ridiculous places to pander to these FIFA tw**s. We played in Trinidad 2 years ago to please Jack Warner and are supposed to be playing in Thailand in June. I normally go to England games but I will not watch any more football that puts money into FIFA's pocket.

Don't get on your high horse about Cameron. He did a really good job over there along with Prince William and Beckham. The bid has been in progress for 2 years or more. Cameron has only been in the job a couple of months. What do you think he should have done? Not bothered?

Labour blew all the money so don't blame Cameron for trying to show a bit of constraint.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 03 Dec 2010, 21:08

Let us not forget, guys, that there's total prohibition in Qatar. No drinks at the games; in fact, it's a crime to drink alcohol or be drunk anywhere. Can't see that going over too well with too many.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 03 Dec 2010, 21:47

they're going to make an exception about drinking for the world cup I believe. There's going to be designated places that you'll be allowed to drink at.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/10112009/ ... booze.html

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 04 Dec 2010, 07:25

Zlatan5 wrote:
ScottyBoy wrote:Its all just a big stunt. taking the World Cup there is not in the best interest of football in that region of the world nor is it a suitable place to expect world football to gather.

Agreed. Sepp Blatter needs to line his mouth with my ball sack. Sure, Qatar, may be rich, but in all honesty, the Middle East is so unstable it's ridiculous.
So agree, i don't understand why in quatar? do they even have a national team? its not fair that there national team gets automatic qualification to the tournament just cause they have the millions to host it... its complete bulls**t, from every angle you can see it from..
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 04 Dec 2010, 08:24

F*ck the politics, the governments, the conflicts in interests.

World cup 2026 Antarctica who's with me. Attendance there will be the true test of how committed the supporters are. They can carve massive super stadiums out of the ice. It would be epic.
Click it

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

Post by LiveTheDream » 04 Dec 2010, 09:51

ajc wrote:F*ck the politics, the governments, the conflicts in interests.

World cup 2026 Antarctica who's with me. Attendance there will be the true test of how committed the supporters are. They can carve massive super stadiums out of the ice. It would be epic.
KEEN. I'll be there :D
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself