FIFA's Post-World Cup Technical Report.

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

FIFA's Post-World Cup Technical Report.

Post by Rome_Leader » 03 Sep 2010, 15:38

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/09/03/ ... t-summary/

Among other things, the report makes interesting revelations about formations in the World Cup. Particularly, the fact that only one of the semi-finalists, Uruguay, played anything close to a 4-4-2, and that the formation bred for success seemed to be a 4-2-3-1, which was used by Spain, Germany and the Netherlands, all in their own unique interpretations.

Furthermore, teams that dicked around with new formations (England, Italy and France among the offenders) did piss poor, while teams that failed to adapt when getting punched in the mouth (Brazil, namely) got bounced surprisingly and teams that responded quickly to changes in the opposition were able to weather the storm (see Chile v. Honduras)

All in all, a pretty interesting read if you've got the time.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 03 Sep 2010, 21:25

I love zonal marking.

4-2-3-1 is the formation that is taking the world by storm now though, all credit to Capello though, at least he held his hands up, admitted he fu**ed up, and then had the balls to try and redeem himself, by risking tarnishing his career further. The 4-2-3-1 is the formation they have been using for their past too games, and it has yet to fail them, with both been solid performances, albeit against weak opposition.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 03 Sep 2010, 21:36

Yeah. There is some tuning to do what with the squad between now and Euro 2012, but I think they are on the right track. Capello's balls are what saved him from the chopping block; he didn't act like there was nothing he could do for them.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 03 Sep 2010, 21:55

The thing I like about Capello is that he never blames the players or the opposition/referees, even when that is clearly the case. He always accepts responsibility, many times when he does have to.

The only problem with the England football team, is the English Media. I've maintained that point ever since I was young and I stick to it. If the English Media didn't build up the pressure so much, and were not so pessimistic, then England would do far better in tournaments.

I also don't like how when Capello deserves credit, he receives none. Many people say he was just doing the job for the money. Well to be frank, do you know anyone that has a job for a reason besides money? And I don't mean charity work, I mean like working in an office.