Messi and Kaka

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
mr_dude

Messi and Kaka

Post by mr_dude » 13 Jul 2010, 20:37

Does anyone else think they had sublime tournaments? I disagree with people who say that they underperformed, they made their respective teams tick.
Every good move Argentina had was made by Messi. He'd pick up the ball, dribble with it, and shoot or pass it off. It was a combination of fantastic goalkeeping and him playing deeper than we're used to that kept him off the scoresheets, but his influence was all over everything good that Argentina did, and Argentina did do a lot of good things.

Kaka also showed class in my opinion. One of my favourite goals of the tournament was created by him, I believe it was against Chile, Brazil counter-attack, Robinho on the left squares to Kaka just outside the box, and Kaka plays a one-time through ball to Fabiano, Fabiano smashes home. Beautiful assist. Anyway, again, Kaka was at the heart of so many Brazillian moves. If he didn't get the assist, he likely got the second-to-last pass. Kaka was kept off the scoresheet mainly because he'd rather pass than shoot.

Just because they didn't score, or because their teams didn't go as far as possible, people have been saying they flopped, which they clearly didn't.
Opinions?
"A match isn't lost until after it's over." Me
"The greatest glory in life lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Nelson Mandella

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 13 Jul 2010, 20:51

Yes, I think the fact that we are used to seeing them take over their respective teams played a big role in us labeling them as busts. Really, they worked behind the scenes this WC, and team movements came through them, or as a result of their work, but didn't result in them being on the finishing end.

Kaka has really dropped off as a whole, lately. I hope he can find his stride again in the upcoming season. Messi was just awesome; just couldn't get the finishing touch.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 13 Jul 2010, 21:05

Kaka lost the ball a lot

Messi had a good tourney though.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 13 Jul 2010, 21:30

messi was awesomee the first game, pretty freaking good the second, and as maradona started making him the cm, and played without a cm (wtf), he started slowlyy fading away. Definetly not his fault, and he definetly gave 15150% for the albiceleste shirt, its just that they had no midfield, and he had to do things particularly alone.

Kaka, I didn't follow so closely, so I don't know his story.

The one that did suck balls with Cr7.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Juice

Post by Juice » 13 Jul 2010, 22:00

Agree, both where good...
It feels like messi got a "too" free role in the midfield. I think that in barcelona, messi is more used to knowing what to do when he have the ball and also when he dont have the ball.. But in Argentine it where more like "get the ball to messi and let him do what ever he wants". It looked like he where a bit uncomfortable with that. But still he handled it good.

The most important key to success is self-confidence.
The most important key to self-confidence is preparation.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 13 Jul 2010, 22:02

If my sources are correct, Alan Hansen is still wanking over Kaka's assist against Chile.

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

Post by LiveTheDream » 16 Jul 2010, 10:36

I wouldn't say they were sublime, but I wouldn't say they were crap either. They both contributed to their teams, they just didn'y go goal crazy or whatever like everyone seemed to be expecting them to. Wayne Rooney, on the other hand... :cry:
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself