World Cup awards

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod
Posts: 3028
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 22:03

Post by Rome_Leader » 12 Jul 2010, 01:39

Croatianblood1 wrote:
Hugh wrote:Called it all except for silver ball.
Nobody cares...... :P I joke I joke

But seriously, I'm glad Forlan won the Golden Ball. He pretty much carried his team and was a class act. He played like a true captain.
Me too. He hardly erred on his part, both in play and in his tactfulness. He was a star on an average team, that's for sure, and that deserves recognition all the more than a good player who perhaps rides the coattails of a great team to success. They got it right this time.
Image

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3849
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post by panchester07 » 12 Jul 2010, 01:56

Rome_Leader wrote:
Croatianblood1 wrote:
Hugh wrote:Called it all except for silver ball.
Nobody cares...... :P I joke I joke

But seriously, I'm glad Forlan won the Golden Ball. He pretty much carried his team and was a class act. He played like a true captain.
Me too. He hardly erred on his part, both in play and in his tactfulness. He was a star on an average team, that's for sure, and that deserves recognition all the more than a good player who perhaps rides the coattails of a great team to success. They got it right this time.
I also thought he was awesome. Also, Uruguay not being at all favorite to even make it through the group stages, adds a lot of credit their way. Oscar Tabarez, their coach, also deserves a lot of credit for their great tournament, he's a great coach and I hope they renew his contract.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"


"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Pichichi
Senior Member
Posts: 280
Joined: 28 Apr 2009, 23:54

Post by Pichichi » 12 Jul 2010, 03:39

Spain got Fair Play, what a joke.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod
Posts: 3028
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 22:03

Post by Rome_Leader » 12 Jul 2010, 15:21

Pichichi wrote:Spain got Fair Play, what a joke.
It goes by hard stats, not subjective consensus. :p

________________

My sports commentators on The Score are convinced FIFA got it wrong picking Forlan. So not true. Spain mightn't be in the Final without Villa, but a Villa-less Spain would've done much more than a Uruguay side without Forlan, no two ways about it.
Image

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

Pichichi
Senior Member
Posts: 280
Joined: 28 Apr 2009, 23:54

Post by Pichichi » 12 Jul 2010, 15:31

There's no fair play in hounding the referee after every foul and rolling around the ground like they were shot. I can name a handful of teams that had more sportsmanship than the spaniards.

soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post by soccer11 » 12 Jul 2010, 16:50

Pichichi wrote:There's no fair play in hounding the referee after every foul and rolling around the ground like they were shot. I can name a handful of teams that had more sportsmanship than the spaniards.
they give that award out based on cards and Spain didn't have a single card in the group stages and not too many in the knockout stages.
Image

Pichichi
Senior Member
Posts: 280
Joined: 28 Apr 2009, 23:54

Post by Pichichi » 12 Jul 2010, 16:54

soccer11 wrote:
Pichichi wrote:There's no fair play in hounding the referee after every foul and rolling around the ground like they were shot. I can name a handful of teams that had more sportsmanship than the spaniards.
they give that award out based on cards and Spain didn't have a single card in the group stages and not too many in the knockout stages.
Yea I've known, I just think they weren't a sportsmanlike team and that sure they had the least cards, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

klc123
Veteran Member
Posts: 2820
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 16:26

Post by klc123 » 12 Jul 2010, 19:47

To be honest I think the Germans should have won fair play award... Can't remember many, if any of their players getting booked, they were not excessively dirty or committing many fouls on other teams, they didn't dive, they didn't really complain to the officials or corner the officials because decisions didn't go their way. So many things, yes Spain didn't get booked much, but they also dived and whined the whole way through the world cup.

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post by ratherton » 13 Jul 2010, 17:13

Golden Ball: Diego Forlan

Silver Ball: Schweinsteiger

Bronze Ball: Iniesta


Young player: Mueller

Golden boot: Mueller

Golden Glove: Kingson (Ghana)
Image

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

Post Reply