WC Final

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 15 Jul 2010, 23:19

ratherton wrote:Another factor is that the art of tackling is being removed from the game. Defending now involves getting between the ball and the attacker then falling over.
Totally agree with this.

I can't count how many times I've been playing pick up soccer with some people who are fantastic dribblers that are completely unable to defend, it's ridiculous especially considering how very similar the two disciplines are.

No one employs trickery while defending anymore... Makes no sense at all.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 16 Jul 2010, 00:48

eeehhh i don't get how what ratherton said relates to what you said hugh...
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 16 Jul 2010, 00:52

I suppose they're not specifically the same but I'm using his statement as an excuse to share my own views about the current decline in defending ability that I seem to notice every time I play.

They're generally related but not on the exact same topic.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 16 Jul 2010, 01:04

If you say so pal :roll:

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 16 Jul 2010, 16:36

panchester07 wrote:If you say so pal :roll:
Man what was that all about... ratherton said the art of tackling is gone, Hugh said alot of dribblers can't defend (which involves tackling)

Totally related

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 16 Jul 2010, 22:18

Nah he had a point. Ratherton's post was more about how defending as a physical aspect of the game has declined, I was talking about how defending skill in general has declined.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 16 Jul 2010, 23:52

Physically of defending would be classed as a subject under the large umbrella of defending skill?

Either way, most defenders I come up against are more intent on using their weight and arms to pull me back and push me away from the ball when I go past them than actually winning the ball themselves, and preventing me knocking it past them. Which is a huge shame for two reasons. For a start, they constantly foul players, so your less likely to see good, long dribbles past many players, secondly, Its just depressing when you spend years training in the gym to be faster than any defender, for them to just foul you and that be the end of it, no battle, no skill, just a foul to stop you.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 17 Jul 2010, 00:21

Hugh wrote:Nah he had a point. Ratherton's post was more about how defending as a physical aspect of the game has declined, I was talking about how defending skill in general has declined.
haha either way I was just giving you hard time and teasing. It had its relation but it wasn't so clear, so hahah I meant to mess with you..

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 17 Jul 2010, 01:48

I agree that the physicality is leaving the game when it comes to defending. Although I would argue its perhaps for the better with some obvious down points.

I know what you mean by defenders getting in front of an attacker then being dramatically dumped to the ground with minimal contact. No one likes to watch cheap fouls being given when everyone knows their gran could have stayed on her feet wearing her slippers.

On the other hand defenders trying to gain this positional advantage against an attacker and trying to do somthing with the ball afterwards is far more positive than the old fashioned "put your boot through everything"

More technical defending and all round play is only going to make the game better, although there are things that need to be dealt with that usually accompany this "softer" style of play.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 22 Jul 2010, 16:49

Whichhh goallll do you reckon was more inspiring/important/celebrated/fantastic.

Puyol's header over the german dude that was 2 feet taller than him

or

Iniesta's goal in the 116th minute to win the whole thing?

mint
EF Drug Baron

Post by mint » 22 Jul 2010, 18:14

I have to say Iniestas goal to win it IMO
i was made to ignite

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 22 Jul 2010, 18:37

it has to be puyols because it was just so much crazier looking than inesta's. i'm glad inesta can finish off a chance 1v1 with a keeper but puyol rising above the german defender and his own teammate to send a header 70 mph at the keeper (not the real speed) was much better looking.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 22 Jul 2010, 19:11

ScottyBoy wrote:I agree that the physicality is leaving the game when it comes to defending. Although I would argue its perhaps for the better with some obvious down points.

I know what you mean by defenders getting in front of an attacker then being dramatically dumped to the ground with minimal contact. No one likes to watch cheap fouls being given when everyone knows their gran could have stayed on her feet wearing her slippers.

On the other hand defenders trying to gain this positional advantage against an attacker and trying to do somthing with the ball afterwards is far more positive than the old fashioned "put your boot through everything"

More technical defending and all round play is only going to make the game better, although there are things that need to be dealt with that usually accompany this "softer" style of play.
By the art of tackling, I wasn't really thinking of the good old days, it was more the fact that defenders have absolutely no idea how to tackle. In addition, the situation is made worse by referees who have little idea about what is a good tackle and what isn't.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 12 Aug 2010, 06:31

Fudge.... congrats to spain once again..... i know the final is over and done.. but realize how big this is.... they won the whole thing.. imposing their tiki-taka style.. over furious south american sides, and tactical european teams... with passing, dribbling, and possesion, they conquered the world.. and even though the world cup is over and done with more than a month ago.. I would like to congratulate Spain, for playing beautiful football, for being the first team to win the euro's and the world cup, and for making my heart sing every time they played.... Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Pedro, Vila, Sergio Ramos, Puyol, Capdevilla, Pique, CASILLAS, Xabi alonso, and co..... damnn do I love you so much..... I hope you win everthing that comes your way!!!!!!!!!! VIVA FUTBOL .......

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 12 Aug 2010, 15:48

panchester07 wrote:Fudge.... congrats to spain once again..... i know the final is over and done.. but realize how big this is.... they won the whole thing.. imposing their tiki-taka style.. over furious south american sides, and tactical european teams... with passing, dribbling, and possesion, they conquered the world.. and even though the world cup is over and done with more than a month ago.. I would like to congratulate Spain, for playing beautiful football, for being the first team to win the euro's and the world cup, and for making my heart sing every time they played.... Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Pedro, Vila, Sergio Ramos, Puyol, Capdevilla, Pique, CASILLAS, Xabi alonso, and co..... damnn do I love you so much..... I hope you win everthing that comes your way!!!!!!!!!! VIVA FUTBOL .......
Not the first team to do so.
Germany did so in the 72 Euro's and the 74 World Cup