WC Final

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 12 Aug 2010, 17:48

Ok ..

But Spain messed Germany up in the euro's and in the world cup proving clear superiority both times. Lowe should still be hearing "tiki-taka" in his sleep.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 12 Aug 2010, 17:57

yeah, it was a delight to see the constant underachievers finally pulling off the glorious double with fantastic team football to boot.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 12 Aug 2010, 19:51

panchester07 wrote:Ok ..

But Spain messed Germany up in the euro's and in the world cup proving clear superiority both times. Lowe should still be hearing "tiki-taka" in his sleep.
that's fine and all, i was just pointing out you that you were misinformed.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 13 Aug 2010, 22:32

Yeap realize it. I just think now its worth much more to do this, and much harder than back then. Spain just won so superiorly, so much more beautifully, and they where much better than every rival along the way.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 14 Aug 2010, 00:33

Spain won the WC and thats all good but I don't get the comments about them playing amazing football. They struggled to score and even though they did their tika-taka well they weren't near as impressive as their Euro 08 team. They were the best of the WC, ok, but I've already forgotten about all their performances because they weren't special.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 14 Aug 2010, 00:38

They created much more chances than any of their rivals, and the only reason the score wasnt greater, was because the opposing teams decided to "park the bus", a term I learnt from Shahensa. Its hard to score with 10 men in the box defending the goal innit? They where the best team in the world cup, and the one that played most football. All those anti-football who sit back and try to absorb, deservedly went home, and have to wait 4 years. You would think if its every 4 years you would wanna play to win, some teams didn't get the memo, and decided to play "not to loose" and went home with nothing :).... Perfect example is Germany. Its hard to have good performances when the only objective of your rival is to defend.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 14 Aug 2010, 01:01

Teams park the bus on Barca and the Spain of 08 all the time but they still scored. Hell any good attacking team gets the bus parked on them a least a few times per season yet they still can score because they play amazing. Spain kept the ball, but I wouldn't say they were "great" in the WC just like I wouldn't say Italy wasn't "great" in 06.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 14 Aug 2010, 04:54

If the only way you call a game enjoyable is by seeing many goals I might as well stop talking to you about football and talk to you about cartoons cause really you have no clue.

Barcelona is club, which is a whole different story, and teams didn't quite exactly park the bus vs Spain 08 either so I don't know what thats all about.

Italy is never great, cause they are the ones that park the bus. Attacking football vs defensive football never go in the same category, traduction, you can't compare spain and italy.

Spain doesn't need to score 5 goals to win, they could probably score 3 if the other team didn't defend with 10, but since they do, they'll win by 1 and take the trophy home.

Spain did the best in playing possesion football, with dribbles, wall passes, through balls etc. They didn't keep the ball, few passes where horizontal or backwards, most where vertical and threatening. Their strategy wasn't to keep posesion, but to crack a gap in the opposing defense, which got complicated by the rivals camping in their own box.

If the rivals would have attacked, like Spain did, the game would have been magnificent, and the games would have had more goals. If its anyone's fault that the game's weren't as "great" its the rivals team. Spain's victories where great because they dominated every team, and even if they didn't score 6 goals, they palyed entertaining football, something Netherlands and germany couldn't do. They where amazing cause they believed in their style, inspite of 11 giants, they had balls and attacked, thats amazing, you don't need 5 goals to be amazing.

BTW just to prove your point is completely wrong, I remember 2 specific teams who parked the bus on Barcelona. Inter, and Rubin Kazan. They lost two both on the global score. They scored the same amount of goals Spain scored every game.. So if you just called Barcelona amazing, is Spain amazing if they scored the same amount of goals? I'd say so anyway. Also, Spain more less is Barca, minus Messi, are you sure you are gonna call Spain okay, and Barca amazing? Lacks sense.

I hear your point, they beat every team by 1 except honduras, and swiss, but the score lies, they shot more, attacked more, and just constantly looked for the goal. You can't say the opposite, they didn't hold possesion in their half, instead, they held it around the riva'ls box, looking for wholes and mistakes to score, and found them every time. 1-0 was the score, but the possesion, shots, corners, everything was tilted towards Spain, meaning they dominated, meaning they played great.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 14 Aug 2010, 07:56

I'm done talking about this since you'll never get what I'm saying. A game doesn't need loads of goals to be good but watching Germany, Brazil, etc play even when they weren't scoring loads were more enjoyable to watch IMO. That's me, you disagree, we get it, should have never brought it up. :roll:

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 14 Aug 2010, 08:33

haha you bring it up everytime, everytime someone says something about Spain you hurry up and mention how they just scored once or anything absurd like that.

Brazil was more enjoyable than spain? Brazil was criticized since 06 for not playing samba football and playing defensive and forgetting their style? For having 6-7 defensive players, and for counterattacking, and you call them more enjoyable???? :lol: LOL In other words, you rather a team defend 70% of the match, and attack 30%, than watch another one attack, find ways, posses, dribble, etc? You rather watch brazil defend than spain attack. You call Brazil defensive dungan style more enjoyable than spanish football? Thats why I reply, thats why i disagree, cause the things you say don't even make sense.

If its not about the goals why bring it up in the first place? Don't mention the goals, then change things, adn then say I don't get you.

Just saying, excuse the tone, I just don't know how to say things another way..... If you like defensive football then thats exellent, but 95% of us like watching offensive plays, and Spain tried to do that in all their games, at all times.

But at the end of the day, its all opinion, I just know many people think like me cause I discuss things like this a lot day to day. Been watching this game for many years, and its common sense that a team that attacks and imposes their philosophy on every team they play, outnumbers them in shots, possesion, beautiful football, and also WINS the tournament deserves to be called amazing. Many team's play flamboyantly all tournament, and sh*t their pants in the playoffs, Spain played attackingly all tournament, and not once were tamed.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 14 Aug 2010, 18:49

2brown347 wrote:Spain kept the ball, but I wouldn't say they were "great" in the WC just like I wouldn't say Italy wasn't "great" in 06.
Man I'm gonna have to back pan up, Spain played amazing, its a priviledge that such flowing pure football exists in our generation

Like i don't really see the negatives, i watched most of the games and though germany were exciting... But Spain preformed far higher than 'great' yet weren't as exciting

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 14 Aug 2010, 23:12

The reason is probably due to the other team parking the bus. Germany played exciting vs Argentina because with 3 quick passes, and a few dribbles they where 1 on 1 vs the keeper. If Argentina would have parked the bus, Germany would have been forced to posses and try to penetrate the Argentinian territory.

Spain can't really do anything so spectacular with 10 men defending I don't think. It would have been nice to see Xavi play a through ball to Villa, and him beat the keper, but the only problem was Villa had 3 men on him and Xavi had 2.

Sometimes though, Spain might lack verticality, thats why I think for the good of the spectacle, Pedro and Navas where good, cause they go north.

Its a series of factors really, but ask yourself, would Spain pass the ball so much around the enemies box, if they didn't defend with 10 players? Its easy to creat danger(exitement) when the team your playing defends and attacks, meaning play balanced, but when they play ultra defensive, its more difficult to create danger, and Spain was forced to pass around in search for opportunities. Same with Barca vs Inter, etc.