World Cup 2010 Semi-Finals

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 08 Jul 2010, 18:05

soccer11 wrote:
panchester07 wrote: It honestly is as exiting as it gets.
I can assure you, it can get more exciting.
I understand Spain's great performance. I know what they did; I saw it with my own eyes. I'm not taking away anything from Spain, if anything it's more a knock against Germany. I wish you people would understand that. Saying it wasn't an exciting game isn't a knock against Spain.
If I was compiling a list of greatest games, this game wouldn't even come into my mind because it wasn't. Germany didn't really have much of a say in the game. For a match to constitute a great game, both teams need to be creating chances and attacking each other in a more open game (for me at least.)

World Cup 2002 Final Brazil v. Germany. Much more excitement. These are just the highlights but if you have the chance to watch it, do it. Much more open of a game. For me, this was a very good game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBYXU7jUBHM
2007/08 Champions league semi final between Chelsea and Liverpool.

10 times better than the game we saw last night at least.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 08 Jul 2010, 18:16

Manchester United v Real Madrid, 2003 Champions League Quarter final 2nd leg

Despite me hating Liverpool:
Liverpool v AC milan 2005 Champions League final. Another great game

List goes on.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 08 Jul 2010, 18:17

Yes ofcourse there are matches that are more exciting, specially when it comes to club teams, excuse the expression, but I hope your smart enough to get my point? Its not Spain's fault Germany decided to camp in their own box. And maybe if they would have had more balls, the game would have been the best in the tournament. Since they sat back, and tried to contain Spain, and while at it got owned, the game was mostly one sided, but still very exciting with spectacular plays and above all a highlevel was maintained. And the fact that it was national teams, and not clubs, and realistically its the best players of a country vs the best one of the other one, makes it especially exciting. In other words, it wasn't boring, not in my opinion, and not in 98% of football fans opinion, so if I've learnt your basically always gonna bitch and complain about something, now its boring, what will it be next? The game was 50 adjectives before being boring, but say as you wish, anyone with common sense knows it was a highlevel, exciting match in which the best won, so if in your mind its boring, then high five to you. Ill talk to real people, real fans, with common sense, and in the real world it will always be a heck of a semifinal. In this bias, recented, "soccer-fan" world, you can say whatever you want. Outside of it, you say that and they'll call you stupid. So enjoy your 5 minutes of fantasy life. :P

and really, you guys bitch about people who cuss and scare away new members. having it your way all the time and being so biased doesn't help the forums either
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 08 Jul 2010, 19:13

Why not? I think the monopoly on being right that soccer11 and I enjoy is pretty sweet.

Except when he's wrong.

:mrgreen:

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 08 Jul 2010, 19:27

soccer11 wrote:Manchester United v Real Madrid, 2003 Champions League Quarter final 2nd leg

List goes on.
Boo, club football is lame. Bunch of overpaid homos running around when they should care about playing for their own countries more.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 08 Jul 2010, 19:37

Croatianblood1 wrote:
soccer11 wrote:Manchester United v Real Madrid, 2003 Champions League Quarter final 2nd leg

List goes on.
Boo, club football is lame. Bunch of overpaid homos running around when they should care about playing for their own countries more.
Should but they don't which is why champs league produces better games than the world cup.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 08 Jul 2010, 20:46

Hugh wrote:
Croatianblood1 wrote:

List goes on.
Should but they don't which is why champs league produces better games than the world cup.
Nooo I don't think so. I find the World Cup to be more exciting. I think it's a real test of how good a player is. Most of the so called "stars" shine for their club but sh*t the bed on the world stage.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 08 Jul 2010, 21:01

Hugh wrote:Why not? I think the monopoly on being right that soccer11 and I enjoy is pretty sweet.

Except when he's wrong.

:mrgreen:
:lol:
and really, you guys bitch about people who cuss and scare away new members. having it your way all the time and being so biased doesn't help the forums either
biased? How is saying that a one-sided game was boring biased in anyway?
And the fact that it was national teams, and not clubs, and realistically its the best players of a country vs the best one of the other one, makes it especially exciting
fair point, but the first game I posted as being more exciting than the one last night was Germany v Brazil, 2002 final.
Fact is, when we look back historically at great international games, we'll remember Brazil v Germany 2002; England v Germany 1966; Italy v West Germany 1970 (from what I've read and highlights); Brazil v Italy 1970 final (also from what I've read and highlights) and the list goes on. My point is, in 20 years, we won't remember this game for anything except for what it was; a semi-final in the 2010 World Cup. It won't go down in history as one of the greatest games.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 08 Jul 2010, 21:26

Croatianblood1 wrote:
Hugh wrote:
Croatianblood1 wrote: Boo, club football is lame. Bunch of overpaid homos running around when they should care about playing for their own countries more.
Nooo I don't think so. I find the World Cup to be more exciting. I think it's a real test of how good a player is. Most of the so called "stars" shine for their club but sh*t the bed on the world stage.
amen... if you don't like international football over club i think your heart should be fed to pigs... and that belief that players don't perform as much because they don't get payed is a myth imo. Hugh your lame imo.

soccer11, its ok taht you didn't like the game as much, your a minority, but anyways, its germany's fault this game wasn't "epic". if they would have attacked themselves, and not counterattacked waiting for something(idk what) to happen, probably it would be remembered as the best match of the world cup. since they didn't its just a match in which one team excitingly fu**ed over the other one. by the other one, i'm talking about the german gaylords. Weren't you routing for them? Maybe you yourself could explain why they sat back and got dominated?

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 08 Jul 2010, 21:46

I thought you had matured. german gaylords? come on now, grow up.

Yes I was rooting for them, but I picked Spain to win. Unlike you, i pick using my head, not my heart.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 08 Jul 2010, 21:49

soccer11 wrote:I thought you had matured. german gaylords? come on now, grow up.

Yes I was rooting for them, but I picked Spain to win. Unlike you, i pick using my head, not my heart.
I mean thats my opinion isn't it ? I don't see whats wrong with that? :lol: If tiki-taka, sweet touch, attacking football can be boring, its fair enough to call them gaylords i'd say imo.

No, I didn't pick using my heart, I used my head, in fact I quoted myself explaining exactly what would happen, and thats when you said you this'd yourself? You on the other hand, where stating unrational reasons why germany would win, though obviously that was far from happening.. Who used the head, and who used the heart? The rational kid that said exactly what would happen, or the one that said weird dumb reason's why germany would win and which was obviously far from happening, and further more, is now looking for reasons to demerit the winning team???? Who's using the head? Who's calling the far superior team boring? Your the one that needs maturing, brother.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 08 Jul 2010, 21:53

no no no, not in this term. I meant the Argentina one. You were definitely picking with your heart because you felt passionate about your team, which is fine. it happens.
And I never said Germany would win. The only thing I was arguing against was the fact that Germany was called overrated. I really hoped Germany would win, of course, but I had picked Spain to win and get to the final long ago (if you don't believe me, look at my bracket)

And how am I taking away from Spain's victory? I just said it wasn't a great game, not that Spain didn't play great. Spain did play great.

edit: please read. I didn't say Spain was boring. I said the match was boring.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 08 Jul 2010, 21:58

Stating your opinion is not the same as insulting people.

I find it interesting that you think that the Germans should have attacked more instead of sitting back and counterattacking. Obviously you're aware that if they were to try and win posession from spain while spain were in the attacking zone passing it around the mids then they would leave themselves very open to danger from Ramos and the like. So I'm assuming you meant that when Germany did get the ball they should have tried to do the exact same thing as them?

That makes no sense, Germany's strength is on the break, they've got fast forwards, good long passing and they always break in numbers. It's a system that works, just not against spain because they let them control the midfield a bit too much.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 08 Jul 2010, 22:08

Not play possesion, but maybe attack once every 30 minutes for the first 73 minutes??? Doesn't sound to bad does it? either way, i'm stoked Spain is through. and they wyped their ass with germany in the proccess. I'm not gonna tell Germany, that clearly counterattacks, to play possesion, but if your gonna stick to a passive reserved style, atleast attack once every full moon. its called counterattack, not counter-defend, oh my im so hilarious :lol:

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 08 Jul 2010, 22:30

i still die a little inside every time you call someone biased panchester your probably the epitome of bias especially with your blatent racism against the germans. Soccer11 is also not the minority i could have fallen asleep in that game if i wasn't wating for something to happen for the germans that never did come.