World Cup 2010 Semi-Finals

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
panchester07
Veteran Member

The second dutch goal was offside by Van Persie. Inspite of not touching the ball he particpated on the play... Without that goal the game would have been 2-2..
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Hugh
Veteran Member

Zlatan5 wrote:Dutch dominance. I am so glad those Uragayans are out. I feel like vomiting when I see Forlan's face. All the teams left are beautiful attacking teams. Should make for one hell of a final, whoever it is the Dutch will meet.
I disagree about beautiful attacking teams. TBH every time I have watched the dutch play I have been bored out of my skull.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Hugh wrote:
Zlatan5 wrote:Dutch dominance. I am so glad those Uragayans are out. I feel like vomiting when I see Forlan's face. All the teams left are beautiful attacking teams. Should make for one hell of a final, whoever it is the Dutch will meet.
I disagree about beautiful attacking teams. TBH every time I have watched the dutch play I have been bored out of my skull.
Seconded. Plus the offside goal.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

The Dutch have played well this tournament and I believe they can win it all. Sneijder and Robben have been fantastic and are in top form.

Move over Xavi and Iniesta, there is a new midfield tandem to fear.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Haha besidess selling Robben and Sneijder, and later having to see them play important roles in their teams to make it to the UCL final, to win their leagues, and their domestic cups, now Florentino has to see the two players he sold, make it to the World Cup Final. He must be kicking himself... Though it was offside and that goal shouldn't have counted.

2brown347
Veteran Member

The goal wasn't offsides, it was actually a really good call. RVP was in an offsides position but wasn't involved in the play when Sneijder shot. Sneijders shot his a defender which then deflected the ball to RVP. Even if RVP got the ball it was still off a defender, but that doesn't even matter because he didn't touch the ball. It was close but not offsides.
It is not an offence in itself to be in an offside position.
A player is in an offside position if:
• he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the
second-last opponent
A player is not in an offside position if:
• he is in his own half of the fi eld of play or
• he is level with the second-last opponent or
• he is level with the last two opponents

A player in an offside position is only penalised if, at the moment the ball
touches or is played by one of his team, he is, in the opinion of the referee,
involved in active play by:
• interfering with play or
• interfering with an opponent or
• gaining an advantage by being in that position
at the time Sneijder hit the ball he wasn't active in the play, it was the deflection that made him part of the play.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ked0iWOKZkc

If anything Uraguay were lucky to have all players on the field after the bike to the face. It wasn't on purpose but it was dangerous play none the less.

soccer11
Admin

That 2nd Dutch goal was very close.
As the replay showed though, there was a Uruguayan player right behind Van Persie and they looked inline (we can't tell where the Uruguayan players leg is because Van Persie was blocking our view from it). Offsides or not, it wasn't a clear one either way and refs are told to give the advantage to the attacking play.

And if it was offside, well then I guess karma made an appearance 8)

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

soccer11 wrote: And if it was offside, well then I guess karma made an appearance 8)
Damn straight.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Brown, it was offside, it doesn't matter if he touched it or not, he was in the path of the play, and interfered in it. You can see in the repetition Van Persie was offside and he had participation in the play. He even tried to deflect it, and tap it in by changing its direction but missed. Its not "really close" its either offside or onsides, and in this case it was offside, therefor the goal should have been declared invalid. Nothing's gonna change, so I'm moving on, and many should learn to do so aswell, but it should be clear that on July 6th, Netherlands won with a goal that shouldn't have been valid. It doesn't matter if there was a deflection at all. What a dumb thing to say by the way.

Dont wanna take it from me, if run a quick google search and found a few sites that confirm he was off:

Robin van Persie, in an offside position, screened Fernando Muslera on Wesley Sneijder’s shot while also keeping the keeper waiting for his movement and dummied the ball as it trickled into the back of the net. Simply put: the goal should not have stood. The Dutch third came in quick succession, as though Uruguay were staggered, but it’s fair you say you have to rule everything out from that point on.
Or, shall you take it from the Uruguayan manager?
For Uruguay, defeat in their first appearance at this stage of the tournament since 1970 was tarnished by the controversy surrounding the second Dutch goal with Robin van Persie appearing to be in an offside position as Sneijder's shot flicked in off two defenders. "It was offside, but referees make mistakes," said Oscar Tabárez, who is awaiting terms on a new contract with the Uruguayan Football Federation. "It wasn't the first time, but it happens everywhere. Not just in the World Cup. There's no point crying about it. Sure, he was offside and the game could have been very different had it not been allowed because, after that, Holland played at ease."

Furthermore, a dangerous play is for a yellow card, specially when the player had the eyes on the ball and had no ill intentions. So Uruguay is not lucky to play with all their men, they got what they deserve. On the other hand Sneijder and Van Bommel both kicked and attacked players late after the play and that could have been for a red card. So get your fact straights cuz. He was offside, and the bycycle kick got farely punished. So if anyone was lucky today, it was Netherlans that got that goal allowed. and for getting their late aggression's penalized only with yellow cards.

So if Karma got Uruguay, then hopefully they'll get Holland later on this tournamenttt ? Did someone say tiki-taka?

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

panchester07 wrote: Did someone say tiki-taka?
Spain will lose again. I'm predicting a 2-0 defeat. Spain got beat by one physical team (Switzerland) this tournament. It wouldn't surprise me.
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

mustahfa14

MUFC1994 wrote:
panchester07 wrote: Did someone say tiki-taka?
Spain will lose again. I'm predicting a 2-0 defeat. Spain got beat by one physical team (Switzerland) this tournament. It wouldn't surprise me.
was that a serious post or are you just messing around? A 2-0 defeat for germany? you have to be kidding me. You dont know good soccer.

switzerland's "physicality" had nothing to do with it. They just sat back and defended like the great wall of china. Then proceeded to get lucky on the other end.

I just cant wait to see the game tomorrow and see spain win. Then all these idiots can shut up about how spain is suddenly not that good, and how germany is the best team. So pathetic.

2brown347
Veteran Member

panchester07 wrote:Brown, it was offside, it doesn't matter if he touched it or not, he was in the path of the play, and interfered in it. You can see in the repetition Van Persie was offside and he had participation in the play. He even tried to deflect it, and tap it in by changing its direction but missed. Its not "really close" its either offside or onsides, and in this case it was offside, therefor the goal should have been declared invalid. Nothing's gonna change, so I'm moving on, and many should learn to do so aswell, but it should be clear that on July 6th, Netherlands won with a goal that shouldn't have been valid. It doesn't matter if there was a deflection at all. What a dumb thing to say by the way.

Dont wanna take it from me, if run a quick google search and found a few sites that confirm he was off:

Robin van Persie, in an offside position, screened Fernando Muslera on Wesley Sneijder’s shot while also keeping the keeper waiting for his movement and dummied the ball as it trickled into the back of the net. Simply put: the goal should not have stood. The Dutch third came in quick succession, as though Uruguay were staggered, but it’s fair you say you have to rule everything out from that point on.
Or, shall you take it from the Uruguayan manager?
For Uruguay, defeat in their first appearance at this stage of the tournament since 1970 was tarnished by the controversy surrounding the second Dutch goal with Robin van Persie appearing to be in an offside position as Sneijder's shot flicked in off two defenders. "It was offside, but referees make mistakes," said Oscar Tabárez, who is awaiting terms on a new contract with the Uruguayan Football Federation. "It wasn't the first time, but it happens everywhere. Not just in the World Cup. There's no point crying about it. Sure, he was offside and the game could have been very different had it not been allowed because, after that, Holland played at ease."

Furthermore, a dangerous play is for a yellow card, specially when the player had the eyes on the ball and had no ill intentions. So Uruguay is not lucky to play with all their men, they got what they deserve. On the other hand Sneijder and Van Bommel both kicked and attacked players late after the play and that could have been for a red card. So get your fact straights cuz. He was offside, and the bycycle kick got farely punished. So if anyone was lucky today, it was Netherlans that got that goal allowed. and for getting their late aggression's penalized only with yellow cards.

So if Karma got Uruguay, then hopefully they'll get Holland later on this tournamenttt ? Did someone say tiki-taka?
Steve and Ruud both felt it was on-side so you're two sources don't prove anything. Watch the video here, it's better quality http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id= ... 901&ver=us. When the ball left Sneijders foot RVP had no participation in the play. They ball wasn't going toward him and he wasn't between Sneijder and the keeper. The ball then hit the defender and deflected toward RVP.

and if the ref would have given a red for the kick in the face there wouldn't be a lot of complaints.

was that a serious post or are you just messing around? A 2-0 defeat for germany? you have to be kidding me. You dont know good soccer.

switzerland's "physicality" had nothing to do with it. They just sat back and defended like the great wall of china. Then proceeded to get lucky on the other end.

I just cant wait to see the game tomorrow and see spain win. Then all these idiots can shut up about how spain is suddenly not that good, and how germany is the best team. So pathetic
are you serious? no one is saying Spain isn't good but they aren't the golden gods you seem to think they are. There is a difference between supporting a team and being a overly bias prick to everyone who doesn't think your team is awesome and you're coming close to crossing it. No matter what someone says you're going to argue against it. You've been stating that Germany won't be able to sit back and defend, the counter-attack to win; then you say that is exactly the way Switzerland beat them.

mrbeankid22

Paul the Octopus is 5 for 5 so far. If he makes it 6, after picking Spain to prevail over his own captor's country, he may end up on the seafood isle before too long.

Magicfeet

mustahfa14 wrote:was that a serious post or are you just messing around? A 2-0 defeat for germany? you have to be kidding me. You dont know good soccer.

I just cant wait to see the game tomorrow and see spain win. Then all these idiots can shut up about how spain is suddenly not that good, and how germany is the best team. So pathetic.
You sound like a real jerk, kid.

Play nice. :roll:

soccer11
Admin

you're starting to sound pompous. It's not becoming.
Don't call people idiots for no reason either. Show me where anyone has called Germany the best team and Spain not good . . . I'll wait.