Most impressive players so far this tournament

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 03 Jul 2010, 20:49

soccer11 wrote:He's been good all tournament. How about the golden ball for Bastian Sweinsteiger? I can't pinpoint a player who's been more integral to their team than he has.
David Villa?
Xavi?
Diego Forlan?
Snjider?

...Cristiano Ronaldo?

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 03 Jul 2010, 20:57

Of those I'd give it to Sneijder and Forlan (besides Sweinsteiger). I can make a legit case for them as they've done a lot for their teams.
Villa has scored goals. (albeit very important goals) He's been important but I don't think he's played the best. He'll probably get the golden boot, depending on what Klose does the next 2 games. I think Klose and Villa have done similar things for their teams; be in the right spot and pounce on opportunities.
Xavi's been really good but not spectacular IMO. I think Iniesta's been just as important, though without Xavi, Spain isn't Spain.

c.ronaldo would get it if this was a watermelon seed spitting contest :P

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 03 Jul 2010, 21:06

Of those I'd give it to Sneijder and Forlan (besides Sweinsteiger). I can make a legit case for them as they've done a lot for their teams.
Villa has scored goals. (albeit very important goals) He's been important but I don't think he's played the best. He'll probably get the golden boot, depending on what Klose does the next 2 games. I think Klose and Villa have done similar things for their teams; be in the right spot and pounce on opportunities.
Xavi's been really good but not spectacular IMO. I think Iniesta's been just as important, though without Xavi, Spain isn't Spain.
Yeah Klose and Villa are the clinical strikers of the WC... Only Villa's chances have been far more influencial, deciding and difficult goals than Klose's, Villa has practically won the last 4 games in a row for Spain

Man I thought Xavi has been immense for what Xavi does best, doing amazing things consistently under the radar... Iniesta only pulled out a preformance last few games, he was poor in the early group stages

But Snijder, Forlan and Sweinstiger have been a class above
c.ronaldo would get it if this was a watermelon seed spitting contest
Man he is unreal at launching watermelon projectiles, like Football is just his day job to keep him going till he makes it big

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 03 Jul 2010, 21:11

no doubt, Xavi has been crucial to Spain. I know Iniesta hasn't had greatest of world cups, but i think the collective play of Iniesta-Xavi-Xabi Alonso has been more important to Spain as they know each other really well. If I had to pick one player out of that group though, in fairness, it would be Xavi.
Villa has practically won the last 4 games in a row for Spain
And that line is why Spain should worry against Germany.

arsenal1

Post by arsenal1 » 03 Jul 2010, 21:13

i like klose and all but if he passes ronaldo for most goals scored im gonna be shattered :cry:

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 03 Jul 2010, 21:18

Ronaldo's my all-time favorite player (as evident by my signature) but if there was someone to pass him, I don't mind it being Klose. He's a class act; one of the best finishers of our time and goes about his business.

arsenal1

Post by arsenal1 » 03 Jul 2010, 21:27

yeah ronaldos my boy too soccer11. I just cant see anyone passing him unless it was me :D

Juice

Post by Juice » 04 Jul 2010, 11:05

In my opinion Honda and Özil has definitely been the best players in the world cup so far! :D

The most important key to success is self-confidence.
The most important key to self-confidence is preparation.

JR
Sophomore Member

Post by JR » 04 Jul 2010, 15:59

Schweinsteiger,
Muller,
Ozil,
Klose,
Villa,
Enyeama,
Forlan

kingpro
New User

Diego Forlan is the impressive player of the world cup 2010

Post by kingpro » 04 Jul 2010, 17:52

Diego Forlan has been in scintillating form for his country and currently has two goals in the tournament. He plays his club football for Athletico Madrid in Spain and had another excellent season. Forlan scored crucial goals against Liverpool and Fulham in the semi-final and final of Athletico’s successful Europa League campaign and has carried on his rich vein of form in the World Cup forming a lethal partnership with Luis Suarez.

Despite being the wrong side of 30 Forlan has generated an increasing amount of interest in his services, most notably from Tottenham in the English Premier League. However following a poor spell in England with Manchester United Forlan has blossomed in Spain and is unlikely to want to move away from his current team.

Pichichi

Re: Diego Forlan is the impressive player of the world cup 2010

Post by Pichichi » 04 Jul 2010, 19:42

kingpro wrote:Diego Forlan has been in scintillating form for his country and currently has two goals in the tournament. He plays his club football for Athletico Madrid in Spain and had another excellent season. Forlan scored crucial goals against Liverpool and Fulham in the semi-final and final of Athletico’s successful Europa League campaign and has carried on his rich vein of form in the World Cup forming a lethal partnership with Luis Suarez.

Despite being the wrong side of 30 Forlan has generated an increasing amount of interest in his services, most notably from Tottenham in the English Premier League. However following a poor spell in England with Manchester United Forlan has blossomed in Spain and is unlikely to want to move away from his current team.

You copy and pasted this... Not sure what to say about that. Anyways Diego Forlan has been key for Uruguay's success, but I think ultimately the most solid and influential player has been Schweinsteiger.

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 07 Jul 2010, 05:21

I agree with Pichichi. Scheinsteiger has had a fantastic tournament. I remember seeing him break through a club level a few years ago and always liked the way he played... it's good to see him performing so well in the WC.