Most impressive players so far this tournament

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
Pichichi

Most impressive players so far this tournament

Post by Pichichi » 27 Jun 2010, 18:04

Who do you think has really shined this world cup? Honestly I think Schweinsteiger's new role as a sort of holding midfielder has done well for Germany and he's proved to be one of the best this tournament. Sound off on who yall think has played above the rest

avipbn

Post by avipbn » 27 Jun 2010, 18:58

Oezil impressed me last year in the U-21 Tornament (I cant remember which one), and he again has impressed me this year. Both for his club and his country. He's defiantly going far in his career.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 27 Jun 2010, 19:09

avipbn wrote:Oezil impressed me last year in the U-21 Tornament (I cant remember which one), and he again has impressed me this year. Both for his club and his country. He's defiantly going far in his career.
I agree. He's been a breakout star for me, and very consistent. I look for some off-season noise to happen, and him possibly to be moved from Weder Bremen in the future.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

Evan
Veteran Member

Post by Evan » 27 Jun 2010, 23:05

Ozil for sure. I knew Muller had potential cause I had seen him play for Bayern a fair few times but now he is on the big stage and two goals vs. England is quite good for a youngster.
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 27 Jun 2010, 23:52

Evan wrote:Ozil for sure. I knew Muller had potential cause I had seen him play for Bayern a fair few times but now he is on the big stage and two goals vs. England is quite good for a youngster.
Some of the keepers have been insane. Nigerian keeper. Both South African keepers. The Algerian one....very very good saves.

I just wanted to make note of this

mustahfa14

Post by mustahfa14 » 28 Jun 2010, 00:01

did you really say the algerian keeper? His keeping was as bad as green's. Did you see the goal he let in against slovenia?

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 28 Jun 2010, 00:37

mustahfa14 wrote:did you really say the algerian keeper? His keeping was as bad as green's. Did you see the goal he let in against slovenia?
that was the first game. They changed goalies after that and the new goalie was a lot better.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 28 Jun 2010, 04:12

Wayne Rooney, by far the most outstanding player in this tournament.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 28 Jun 2010, 04:33

Schweinsteiger- He hasn't gotten a lot of credit for Germany's success but he basically runs the team. I'm shocked how much his play has matured since Euro 08 and I don't think they'd do near as well without him.

Howard- Not just because I'm from the US. I was extremely happy with his saves expecially since the defense let him down a few times. He hasn't had the best Keeper performance but he was consistant all the way through

Park- I've expressed my dislike for him often but he's really impressed me. S. Korea may be out but he still did well.

Messi- No goals but still amazing play every game.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 28 Jun 2010, 15:04

Luis Suarez of Uruguay - Scored 3 goals in this tournament so far and is creating chances. I think he is a great young player.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 29 Jun 2010, 03:03

Ozil is ridiculous. Elia is real good. Robben gets in and changes things. Honda from Japan has amazing technical capabilities and is a samurai warrior that never gives up. Quite a few. Affelay is spectacular but he needs more minutes.

Messi has played best with a midfield to play him balls. VS Greece he had 3-4 plays, but vs Korea he had 6-7 and vs Nigeria 8-9, vs Mexico he had 2-3. Its not that they mark him more, they do that everywhere, with Barca, etc, its that he needs a midfielder to create somewhat game. I'm not asking for Xavi, but maybe a Veron, enough with Maxi Rodriguez, he isn't a center mid, and doesn't have chemistry with Lio. You sacrifice 30% of his game making him go back and pick the balls in the midfield, he can almost guaranteed beat 2-3 men, but when those men are so delayed in the field, he just rans out of gas to finish the goals.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 29 Jun 2010, 04:36

Its true. A player with a quality of xavi is not needed. Any adequate and natural CM will do. Rodriguez is mostly a winger and used as a workhorse/goal scorer like kuyt.

Provide Messi someone with whom he can play short passes to control possession and 1-2s to find space. A 1-2 usually cuts out the midfield crowd and gives him space near the box to face 2 or 3 players and the goalie, which is the perfect oppurtunity for him to score a goal.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 29 Jun 2010, 10:29

I'll tell you who hasn't shined so far: Xavi and Navas for spain.

Iniesta has been pulling all of the weight in spain's midfield and Navas has yet to produce a single decent cross.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 29 Jun 2010, 13:39

yeah xavi is playing too far up forward. He needs to be deep in midfield, where he is really effective.

mustahfa14

Post by mustahfa14 » 29 Jun 2010, 15:47

Iniesta is the best player in the world along with messi, imo. And xavi has been playing fine, and so has navas. Navas has been dangerous, but his crosses have been pretty bad. so half and half

Honda has been an eye opener.
Veron on argentina, i like his style of play.
Villa- how can we not mention him?
Elia/sneidjer/robben- all have been dangerous and have been playing well
robinho- not the best game the other day, but he was their best player in the group stage. He kept some magic in brazil's play

and then schweinsteiger. quality player he has become