Round of 16

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
soccermatt

good points haha, im just a little steamed after the game. i cant believe Ghana was allowed to waste so much time again. maybe we will have some good referee karma coming our way next world cup

arsenal1

I dont see how you guys are ragging on Jozy when he and dempsey were prolly our best players the whole tournament, well besides Howard whos always playing his ass off. I don't get how the first 10 minutes of play we always concede a stupid little goal? I think Donavon failed with the national team AGAIN! :evil:

soccer11
Admin

Donovan played good against England and really good in the second half against Slovenia, but then it seems like he dropped off a little. It's hard to criticize him though because he did end up being our leading scorer with 3 goals. I think he did what he needed to do. He made the right side his and he's definitely not the reason the US didn't advance. He seemed emotionally spent after this game, as did the rest of the team.
As for the defense, I have no idea what's going on there. We do play much better coming back though it seems. While the defense is the obvious thing to complain about (which is well deserved) I think the finishing was just as bad. We had so many chances all tournament, as we couldn't score.

ReXage

LOL Altidore is f'n sh*t.

bsc
Veteran Member

This game is exactly why I wanted Jimmy Conrad on that team! He's a level, experienced head in that defense. And Bocanegra as a left back is just magical at times. Much better there than in the center. What was even the point of Goodson? it's clear the coach didn't have confidense enough to play him.

And imagine if we had Charlie Davies as opposed to Findley on that breakaway to take a shot in the first half. CD9 would have put that in the net easy.

But after this world cup run, all I have left to feel for our team is pride and hope, pride and hope.
Image Image
And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true

scottS4
Veteran Member

Yeah, Ghana was pretty disgraceful with their time wasting, and the ref should have either handed out more cards or given a huge amount of injury time.
However, I don't think we realize how spent players are by extra time. Every autobiography of a pro player I've read has said the same thing: that extra time is hell, and your'e so tired you just want it to end. I think the Ghanaian players going down looked more exhausted than injured, and were just unable to get up right away.

soccermatt

ReXage wrote:LOL Altidore is f'n sh*t.
great contribution.

/end calling the kettle black

Anymi
Veteran Member

I think Jozy is quite good, aswell as dempsey and donovan. Howard, Cherundelo and the rest of the backline did brilliant aswell, aswell as Bradley.

Look at Heskey, best player in Engalnds second game. He misses one chance and gets stick and Although Defoe scores did not do much else. I believe if Rooneys on fire Heskey should play, he assists, threats and opens up holes for the mids AND he can actually score.

I think Altidore is in the same situation rather than mould, and I think he has a lot of potential.

avipbn

Podolskis shot selection is poor. Has anyone else noticed that after Australia, Germany havnt been convincing?

EDIT: Aaannd he just scored.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Such a tough break on the Lampard strike not counting. GOAL LINE TECHNOLOGY, FIFA!

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

England have fallen apart. Oezil has some fantastic skill, though.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Indeed. Having the calmness and presence of mind to keep the movement flowing smoothly with a few deft touches of the thigh and then a nutmegged pass. Its a delight that he still has many years before he hits the peak of his football career

England just woke up after going down 2-0. They were all over the Germans in the second half. Then Germany murked them on the counter.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Glad Germany won, the disallowed Lampard goal was revenge for the 1966 world cup final non existent goal. Now least we wont hear all the England hype.

They absolutley outclassed England tho, in their teamwork, counterattacks, and their chicks. Argentina must stop their counters when they play Germany, if they beat Mexico.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

I hope ratherton isn't too gutted.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Rome_Leader wrote:I hope ratherton isn't too gutted.
What a piss poor bunch of useless tarts. That is without doubt the most pathetic England performance I have ever seen.

The Lampard goal is irrelevant. Germany could have scored a lot more and fully deserved to win. Those players really need to decide if they want to play international football or not. They just seem to want England caps to justify better contracts with their clubs.

I can't believe I've been watching the same team that I saw qualifying so easily. There were so many things wrong, its impossible to know where to start.

The truth is this team had everything going for them and still failed to take the opportunity presented to them.

Rotten fruit at the ready for the friendly against Hungary on 11 Aug.