Round of 16

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
Hugh
Veteran Member

Altidore just proved that it is often better to stay on your feet than to try and fool the ref.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

altidore is a piece of sh*t, 2 dives. He deserves a red card. He's a disgrace.
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

soccer11
Admin

So many chances blown. fu**, what is Altidore doing? Stay on your feet and score.
Much better from the US this half. Creating chances but can't finish.
I think Herculez Gomez needs to go in for Altidore at some point, which just happened just as I was typing this.

soccermatt

excuse my intolerance but fu** Ghana. 34 minutes of over time and there was possibly 15 minutes of play. they did this four years ago too, people call Americans stupid for wanting to stop play to add in instant replays but no one faults Ghana for being pansies on the field and now allowing the rate of play to continue. how about that bicycle kick? the guy landed on his back, flipped over, watched the play, went back to his back, cried, cried, cried, got carried off on a stretcher, went back on and played like he was fine. the ref should have taken control and told them to keep the play going but no.

ill admit they played good, they are a great team, both teams created chances, we should have put more away than we did....and im sure we could have created more in the other half of the game that was thrown away for Ghanaian's crying.
Last edited by soccermatt on 26 Jun 2010, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Counting down to 2014....with most of the rest of the world.

mustahfa14

Ghana can fu** off. Thats a true way of cheating right there. I know you are supposed to take your time, but they took it to a whole new level. THey made mexico look like an honest team. Its a disgrace really. These guys are ridiculous

They are a decent team, but the way they played in the overtime after they scored.....unreal

altidore is complete garbage. should be kicked off the team for how poor of a player he has been. Findley? Clarck? Bob bradley wouldn't know talent if it took a sh*t on his face. Wasted two subs to bring in players that should have started.

American soccer is so frustrating

soccer11
Admin

Yea Ghana did kind of act like pussies after they scored their goal. They went down with every little contact that was made but what can you do. The ref should have given a card for time wasting. It shouldn't have gotten there though. We had more chances in the 2nd half and if we would have put them away, we would have won. Ghana's goalie came up big.
US fans have a lot to look forward to though. Bradley was huge this tournament and he'll only get better. Bornstein actually played ok, much better than i expected he would. Hopefully he continues, maybe make a move to Europe and he'll be a decent left back.
4 years is a long time and i only see the US getting better. Hopefully Donovan is still playing at a high level in 4 years or if not, hopefully we have found a replacement for him by then.

edit: despite not playing that good, Altidore will be a pretty good striker for us one day. He's only 21; this experience will be good for him in the long run. He had some good flashes in the tournament but then he also had some bad moments. He's young, he still has time.

soccermatt

much improvement in the last four years, i can only see much larger leaps and bounds in our future. Bradley will be a great coach and hopefully for many years..... bornstein did do really well, and thats what were going to need. pretty obvious our defense is lacking and age is creeping on our starters.

soccer11
Admin

People say DeMerit is getting old and will be 34 by the next world cup, but I don't see it as that much of a problem. If he takes care of himself, 34 isn't that old. Cherundolo, Bocanegra, and DeMerit were all born in 1979, which is kind of an interesting stat. I can see Cherundolo being too old at 34 because he's been playing at a high level for so long, but DeMerit is still relatively new.

soccermatt

i wonder who will take over as captain?

soccer11
Admin

Bradley I'd imagine. I'll be surprised if it's not him. It could be Donovan, but I think the US needs a long term captain and Donovan won't be around for that much longer.

soccermatt

for some reason i was thinking dempsey but bradley seems like a much more obvious candidate. specially since hes coaches son haha

pzona

Why in the name of fu** did Feilhaber and Edu not start? And why can the USA not finish one of their numerous chances in the second half? And for Chrissakes, why did they play like ten year olds in the first half...again?

Awful passing, poor shot selection, almost zero possession, no defensive pressure, and the lack of finishing that is just about synonymous with the American team at this point. Terrible first half, good second half, and then an extra time that included about ten minutes of actual play. I want to blame Ghana for time wasting, but in truth this game should never have gone beyond 90 minutes. I could blame a hundred different things for this loss, but the USA didn't play well enough overall to get the win. They would have deserved another goal in the second half, but after that first half, I can't say Ghana don't deserve to go on. They'll get crushed by Uruguay in the next game anyway. Disappointing of course, but hey, I'm used to it as an American fan by this point. Oh well, go Spain...?

soccermatt

is there something about our defense that just makes us super vulnerable within 10 minutes of a kickoff? first 5 minutes, goal. first 2 minutes of extra time, goal. what up with that? and where in the world was jozy the WHOLE world cup? he had one chance against england but it hit the post then the only other time i saw him was when he was being strangled against slovenia

soccer11
Admin

ha give Jozy some credit. He was the one that knocked the ball down for the Bradley goal in the Slovenia game and the one who crossed the ball in to Dempsy before the Donovan goal against Algeria. He didn't produce goals but he did hold up the ball pretty well for the US and he made some good runs. I do think he needs to do more though, seeing as he is a consistent starter on a National team.