Round of 16

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 28 Jun 2010, 21:38

Hugh wrote:mad diving going on in this game. I have added brazil to my list of teams that I do not want to win.
I hope England was on that list after this glorious display of flopping by Rooney.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a-r__wG_RA

Oh wait...English players don't dive.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 28 Jun 2010, 21:41

2brown347 wrote:I agree with what Hugh said.

and the difference between the USA and Argentina is that the USA was never a favorite. Everyone knows their weak in defense and that not conceding early goals is rare. The USA fans talked about the team but we didn't have anyone as relentless as yourself with stating that they'll win the WC. The USA's goal was to get out of the group, they did that so even though we're disappointed with the exit, its what I'm sure we all really expected.

You can stay on your bandwagon and if they can play against some quality sides and do what you think I'll admit I'm wrong, but I doubt that'll happen.
I never said Argentina was gonna win anything. I said they have strong possiblities, and thats a fair statement, 10 goals in 4 games, the best offense in the world, and solid enough back to support it. By saying shaky, your only implying that they are amongst the 6 worst, when clearly they aren't and statistically amongst the top 5, with more matches played and less goals received than many teams :?

Brown, when did I say they where gonna win the world cup?? Would you please do me the inmense favor of pointing when I stated that they would? I never bragged, I just defended what its believe is true. I really think they are championship material, is that a sin? Can I not have faith in the team I'm supporting, one of the best of the world player for player, and technically, one of the 8 best of the world? According to many here, Argentina wasn't gonna be where they are, and many talked bulls**t all the road, how they where gonna loose to such and such, how Maradona was a retard, how Zanetti should have gone, how Lio isn't the same in Argentina, bla bla bla.

I'm on a bandwagon? You're the one that keeps repeating the same exact sh*t over and over again "VS A LARGER DEFENDER THEY WILL BE SHAKY". Cool, good for you, but thats in the future, in the present they are nothing close to that, they aint shaky, 2 goals isn't shaky.

Excuse me if I refuse to believe what people are saying. I don't see any flaws in this defense. There is one defender that makes mistakes, and he is shaky, but the whole defense isn't. Your making it sound like they just can't defend and they let goals through with all teams, obviously not true.

I can think whatever I want. If I post something here, its cause I truely believe it. I'm not on any bandwagon, I don't believe the defense is shaky, it might not be the best in the world, and ill happilly admit it, i'm anything except stuborn, I give credit where it goes. They have flaws, they aint the best, but by no means are they shaky and I've stated time after time why they aren't. The teams haven't been world class either, but they have stood them well, including 60 minutes that Argentina gave the possesion to Mexico and said "hey attack me" we're gonna sit back and let you do that, they only got 1 goal. If 4 good teams each put 2 in the back of the net of argentina, then the defense might be considered shaky. If 4 good teams score 2 goals between all of them, then the defense deserves some credit, and you are the biased one if you don't wanna give it to them.

De Michellis makes mistakes. He doesn't need Klose to finish it, Koreans can. I don't think he'll mess up again that bad in this tournament, and by that bad I mean I think he'll play it safe coming out of the back.

Samuel is champion of europe, italy, and italian cup.

Heinze is a damn warrior that will literally not let you breathe.

Otamendi will run, and will work, he's the best in his club team,and he does the work on his side.

Mascherano does everything, and adds 903513% balls to the defense, he will not stop running, chasing, sliding, and recovering balls.

Simply, a defense that only allows 2 goals, in a world cup, isn't shaky.

If bandwagon is just not admiting something that is a big bag of bulshit lacking any proof, and just a simple guess or prediction then I need a new dictionary. So go ahead and call out again that im on a bandwagon just for not agreeing with your "predictions" that lack proof.

haha argentina has allowed 2 goals, if that is shaky, then the only teams in the world cup with a "non" shaky defense are Paraguay, that has only played 3 games, and Uruguay. Those are the only ones that haven't received 2 goals. Sorry Germany, sorry England, sorry Italy, sorry Netherlands, your defense is shaky, get off the bandwagon :lol:

Oh Hugh, that argentina hasn't received more goals because they are lucky is as valid as saying that brazil's 5 world cups have been mere luck. give me facts. i'm 100% sure that your just resenting england's loss.

S11, Messi hasn't performed as well the last 2 games because Veron hasn't played. He needs a midfielder to compliment his game style and make the most out of him. he needs someone to feed him, be it Veron or Pastore. Mascherano is just a warrior in the back, with little offensive traits,
Last edited by panchester07 on 28 Jun 2010, 21:55, edited 5 times in total.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 28 Jun 2010, 21:43

Englands problems are worse than France. They are in the same situation, out of the world cup.

Difference is France have a new manager/ideals to rebuild, England on the other hand appear to have 4-4-2 for the next two years.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 28 Jun 2010, 21:57

Whatever you want to believe man... But "2 goals in 4 games" really does not tell the entire story.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 28 Jun 2010, 22:08

Hugh wrote:Whatever you want to believe man... But "2 goals in 4 games" really does not tell the entire story.
Look bro, I realize Di Mechilis makes mistake. But the whole defense being "shaky" just because you(not you hugh, just anybody) say so and if I disagree its bandwagon doesn't entire it either . Just cause he made mistakes doesn't mean he will again. Hopefully he will learn from his mistakes. All he needs is to concentrate. One goal was a gift from him, and the other one a pearl that no defense could have stopped, that isn't a shaky defense. It deserves more credit and I would appreciate if we could leae aside our preferences and recognize facts.

Sorry that I got exited, but I stated my disaproval with facts, truth, and serenity and then I get called out for being biased, which is bolony. I also get called out for bragging and saying that Argentina would win it all which I never did. Might as well call me a rapist while making those accusations.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 28 Jun 2010, 22:45

I don't really know how to put this pancheste other than I don't give a sh*t?

Like I said if they hold their own against Germany I'll admit I'm wrong, but I personlly believe I won't be doing so come this weekend.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 28 Jun 2010, 23:09

I'm not saying you're biased or that you're bragging or that you're on the bandwagon.

I'm just saying that in this occasion you are incorrect.

For heaven's sake just look at the ridiculous amount of openings that one very average striker with absolutely no support managed to make for himself during the argentina greece game.

Can you honestly say, with no doubt in your mind, that greece would not have scored if their lone striker had been Klose?

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 28 Jun 2010, 23:31

I guess this is the proper place to put this, some people are f-ed up.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/ ... 901&ver=us

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 28 Jun 2010, 23:51

2brown347 wrote:I guess this is the proper place to put this, some people are f-ed up.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/ ... 901&ver=us
Good news for US soccer. They've finally progressed far enough to have fans who are violently insane!

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 29 Jun 2010, 20:26

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Some one please snap that Spanish defenders legs in half and make sure he NEVER plays football again.

I honestly wish someone would end his career.

If i was on the pitch, as a portuguese player, knowing I was going out and we had a player sent off before of that cheating wanker, I would just snap his legs with the most disgusting two footed challenge the world has ever seen off the ball, and then celebrate to the crowd as I got sent off.

Both teams were sh*t, Villa was the only good player, but because of that, Spain don't deserve fu** all, and I will be glad when they lose to a decent team like Germany.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 29 Jun 2010, 21:04

Strongly disagree with your view of the game. Both teams played well considering their qualities and style. Spain heavily imposed their style on a Portugal defence that was resilient enough to allow only 4 goals in 20 games leading up to this round of 16 fixture. They defended well and eduardo made some key stops but Spain performed better thanks to posession control and stalwart defence.

Infact, Portugal didnt even get proper touches of the ball in Spain's half for the first 10 minutes. Puyol, Pique, Ramos and Capdevila all had a fantastic game!

Pique was the one who won the ball and laid out an inch perfect cross-field pass to Villa on the left wing to start the goal. Villa then combined well with iniesta and xavi to score that goal.

For Portugal Contreao looked the most threatening on the attack. To give credit where its due, they managed to carve out many attacks but their finishing wasnt on point. Their defence did well to cut out attacks and Eduardo made some brilliant stops.

Fernando Torres was perhaps the weakest link for Spain. As soon as he was subbed out for Fernando Llorente Torres :lol:, Spain looked ten times better on the attack. He even produced a fine split second reaction save from Eduardo when he dove for a header.
Last edited by shahensha on 29 Jun 2010, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 29 Jun 2010, 21:07

I agree, is torres still coming back from injury? surely he should be fit by now...

And I don't like that Alonso was taking injections for his Ankle, thats not good for his career...

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 29 Jun 2010, 21:09

I am not sure. After watching Llorente Id rather have him play. His height and ball control could prove very useful against Brazillians.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 29 Jun 2010, 21:45

ratherton, would you really drop Terry based off that one game where England did completely sh*tty? Terry is one of the few players who plays with passion on that team, he's a leader, and I still think he's quite skilled. Who would you have play in his stead?

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 29 Jun 2010, 22:23

shahensha wrote:I am not sure. After watching Llorente Id rather have him play. His height and ball control could prove very useful against Brazillians.
I'd go with David Silva and Iniesta in support of Villa instead of a 2 striker system.

All that I really have to say about the game is Spain did what they had to do. Very disappointed with Spain though. I didn't see anyone elbow Capdevilla. That was a pretty low thing to do.