Round of 16

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 28 Jun 2010, 14:29

Demichles makes that defence look shaky cause he is the weakest link. Argentina will be stronger with Bourdisso and Samuel. Then again I had heard a rumour that Mourinho is a good buddy of maradona who asks him for coaching advice. After watching that dull (read: effective!) performance yesterday, I get the feeling it may be true. If thats the case then Argentina's defence will be good............however they wont win the way many people want them to.

On a different note: ARJEN ROBBEN! wow, he looked dangerous when he was subbed on against cameroon. A start against slovakia here and he has already scored a brilliant goal off a counter.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 28 Jun 2010, 14:36

The Germany v. Argentina game will show what kind of defense Argentina really has. If the defense performs well, then we were wrong, they're a good defense. If Germany makes Argentina's defense look like England's, then our opinions on them would have been confirmed.
I'm counting down the days until that game. Hopefully I'm not disappointed.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 28 Jun 2010, 14:39

Argentina's defence is shakier than michael j fox driving over rumble strips, just accept it.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 28 Jun 2010, 15:21

Hugh wrote:Argentina's defence is shakier than michael j fox driving over rumble strips, just accept it.
Hey scientist... Facts not opinions or jokes :D:D.. U know this.
---

The defense is solid till proven shaky, not shaky even though they play well because you predict they wont vs a bigger team. It just doesn't work that way. If they let in 2 goals, in 4 matches then thats not shaky. How does a team allow 2 goals and other "good and great" defenses allow more but still argentina is a shaky one. Shaky compared to what, maybe their attack outclasses them but thats only cause its the best in the world, and their defense isn't, but its not proper to call them shaky just because its not as talented as the attack.... How is the USA defense good and Argentina's defense shaky? .. I don't get it..

Slovakia is playing agresive football vs netherlands. The defense looks shaky at the moment, not even kidding, just turned on the tv. I like that they highlight netherlands weaknesses at moments nice and good, so that if this match ends this way (1-0), other teams know how to play vs Netherlands. this match is back and forth, such a good match to watch! Attackers delight!
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 28 Jun 2010, 16:25

NBP and Evan, sorry, i was trying to get across the formation I would like to see England playing, rather than specific players, and ill put my hands up and say it, i don't know that great a number of lower calibre English talents, so I just named basic ones I could think of to explain certain roles.

But in essence, I want to see 4-3-3, with an defensive triangle midfield, with two centre midfielders and someone infront as an attacking midfielder.

Just thinking, how would you guys solve the "attacking" problem England has? I would say Ashley Young, Joe Cole and Abonglahor would be a good attacking trio.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 28 Jun 2010, 16:33

panchester07 wrote:
Hugh wrote:Argentina's defence is shakier than michael j fox driving over rumble strips, just accept it.
---

The defense is solid till proven shaky, not shaky even though they play well because you predict they wont vs a bigger team. It just doesn't work that way. If they let in 2 goals, in 4 matches then thats not shaky. How does a team allow 2 goals and other "good and great" defenses allow more but still argentina is a shaky one. Shaky compared to what, maybe their attack outclasses them but thats only cause its the best in the world, and their defense isn't, but its not proper to call them shaky just because its not as talented as the attack.... How is the USA defense good and Argentina's defense shaky? .. I don't get it..
You know pan... You make an extremley solid point

Argentina have one of the best defenses so far...

Maybe its kind of an illusion that they suck, its just everytime I see Demichles do something my brain just consider's it a mistake
Just thinking, how would you guys solve the "attacking" problem England has?
I already posted it

---------------------------------Rooney-------------------
--------------------Gerrard-------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
---Ashley Young-----------------------------Joe Cole-----
--------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------Jenas-------------Hargreaves------------
---------------------------------------------------------------
---Ashley Cole-------------------------------Johnson------
--------------Lescott-----------------Terry-----------------
---------------------------Hart------------------------------

Gerrard looks very advanced there but he is meant to be an attacking midfeilder (similar to his Liverpool role)

Someone similar to Hargreaves (since he's injured) and Huddlestone, Jenas or Carrick as a playmaker to get a solid midfield pair

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 28 Jun 2010, 17:21

panchester07 wrote:
---

Slovakia is playing agresive football vs netherlands. The defense looks shaky at the moment, not even kidding, just turned on the tv. I like that they highlight netherlands weaknesses at moments nice and good, so that if this match ends this way (1-0), other teams know how to play vs Netherlands. this match is back and forth, such a good match to watch! Attackers delight!
That's like saying that because someone has scored 40+ goals in the dutch league they will do as well when they transfer to the EPL. It's just not going to happen and you know that.

The reason I'm saying they're shaky is that not only have they let in 2 goals to sub par teams but they have been extremely lucky not to let in more. Demikales or whatever his name is commits one extremely stupid error a game at least and a competent team like germany can and will capitalize on that. Argentina has yet to face a serious contender for the title and given that maradonna's strategy could best be summed up as "scoring goals will make up for my lack of tactics / defence" you can expect lahm & co to give him a serious dose of reality.

My prediction for this game is germany wins by 2, either 2-0 or 3-1

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Post by Croatianblood1 » 28 Jun 2010, 17:45

I think Argentina will play well against Germany. I understand Argentina may not have a strong defense but they are playing well and are scoring goals. I don't see why they can't win this match. It's not as if Germany are invincible and after all they did lose to a sub par Serbia in the group stages.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 28 Jun 2010, 18:09

I agree with what Hugh said.

and the difference between the USA and Argentina is that the USA was never a favorite. Everyone knows their weak in defense and that not conceding early goals is rare. The USA fans talked about the team but we didn't have anyone as relentless as yourself with stating that they'll win the WC. The USA's goal was to get out of the group, they did that so even though we're disappointed with the exit, its what I'm sure we all really expected.

You can stay on your bandwagon and if they can play against some quality sides and do what you think I'll admit I'm wrong, but I doubt that'll happen.

fawad000

Post by fawad000 » 28 Jun 2010, 19:09

Brasil leading CHile 1-0 through Juan. :D

Edit: Fabiano just scored the second. :D :D

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 28 Jun 2010, 19:31

panchester07 wrote:. How is the USA defense good and Argentina's defense shaky? .. I don't get it..
wait, who said he US defense was good in the first place? A lot of people felt that was the biggest weakness. Why are we even talking about the US anyways? :lol:
I agree with Hugh, Demechiels will make a mistake and when you have an intelligent striker like Klose playing up top, he will capitalize. They haven't seen anyone like Podolski yet so whoever is playing right back will have their hands full. Who's going to pick up Lahm when he makes a run upfield? Will Di Maria track back?
Messi hasn't played the same way these last 2 games as he did the first 2 games because of the instant pressure when he gets the ball and I don't think Germany will play against him any different.

edit: Brazil-Chile game has been fun to watch. I expect more attacking from Chile in the 2nd. Sanchez hasn't done much in this game; I expect that to change.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 28 Jun 2010, 19:34

New born, i agree with you, your formation is pretty much identical to mine, just with more of a emphasize on the wingers staying forwards.

fawad000

Post by fawad000 » 28 Jun 2010, 19:53

Brasil are turning on their samba style. Robinhio finished a wonderful move to make it 3-0 for Brasil. :D It's getting very entertaining as the match progresses.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 28 Jun 2010, 20:46

mad diving going on in this game. I have added brazil to my list of teams that I do not want to win.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 28 Jun 2010, 21:12

NewBornProdigy wrote:
Just thinking, how would you guys solve the "attacking" problem England has?
I already posted it

---------------------------------Rooney-------------------
--------------------Gerrard-------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
---Ashley Young-----------------------------Joe Cole-----
-----------------Jenas-------------Hargreaves------------
---------------------------------------------------------------
---Ashley Cole-------------------------------Johnson------
--------------Lescott-----------------Terry-----------------
---------------------------Hart------------------------------

Gerrard looks very advanced there but he is meant to be an attacking midfeilder (similar to his Liverpool role)

Someone similar to Hargreaves (since he's injured) and Huddlestone, Jenas or Carrick as a playmaker to get a solid midfield pair
Hart - Yes, must be the new Number 1
Johnson - Hmmm, I'd prefer a defender who can defender
Terry - Didn't you see the first two goals against Germany. One of many who needs to be dropped.
Lescott - No thanks
A.Cole - Probably
Jenas - NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
Hargreaves - Needs to get playing again. He's been out for a long time
J.Cole - This is the Joe Cole who is so good that Chelsea won't give him a new deal?
Young - Adam Johnson
Gerrard - Definitely worth trying him in this position
Rooney - Needs a big kick up the arse.

English football has got to do a lot of thinking right now. In some ways, our problems are worse than those of France.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....