Round of 16

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz » 27 Jun 2010, 16:45

I think (as an English supporter) that England didn't play a bad game. They held on to possession (for once), were not too rushed on the attack, and strung together some nice plays (ignoring the brutal long balls and relatively poor crossing). From the beginning I think that Capello was stupid to leave David James in net, no matter if he had two clean sheets against relatively mediocre sides (which showed with the second and third goals). At the same time, he should've realized at some point that Rooney is just completely playing poorly and had to be replaced by a player who could get the job done. I think Joe Cole should've started from the beginning on the left to give Gerrard more space in the hole.

Of course, if that goal would've been allowed, England wouldn't have frantically pushed forward and exposed themselves in the back. I still credit Mesut Oezil, cuz he's a major talent (I wish I could play like him).

Relatively unlucky loss to England, looking at the stats it was relatively equal, and probably the end of the "Golden Generation", and the end of Capello for England. But now that they're out, I'm relatively neutral and can enjoy the rest of the Cup :)

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 27 Jun 2010, 16:48

All that will come from that game is:

-That England are not a tournament team
-That goal-line technology is indispensible

That was the worst defensive display I've seen in this world cup so far

Again Germany benifited from bad defense more than their great attack, they have an excellent team all the same
I think (as an English supporter) that England didn't play a bad game.
Man... They were awful

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Post by Kakasgotskillz » 27 Jun 2010, 16:53

lol im gonna defend my position here:

- I agree that England is not a tournament team
- The goal would've changed the game
- I know there's a big difference between the England in qualifying and the England now
- But between the 4 games they've played, I'd have to say offensively that was the best (and defensively the worst)

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Post by NewBornProdigy » 27 Jun 2010, 17:27

Kakasgotskillz wrote:lol im gonna defend my position here:

- I agree that England is not a tournament team
- The goal would've changed the game
- I know there's a big difference between the England in qualifying and the England now
- But between the 4 games they've played, I'd have to say offensively that was the best (and defensively the worst)
A preformance is based on all aspects, offensive, defensive, determination, teamwork, passing etc.

All things considered that was a very sh*t England preformance

And their attacking play wasn't two great, Defoe and Rooney were non-existent, it was only really Gerrard and Lampard doing anything

Gerrard was brought down by a bad team this whole tournament

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 27 Jun 2010, 17:35

nooooo if argentina wins they cant face this germany.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 27 Jun 2010, 17:47

Germany will win a World Cup very soon. Probably not this one, but I think very soon, they will.
Ozil is 21, Muller is 20, Schweinsteiger and Podolski are only 25, Lahm's been around forever it seems but he's only 26 and the list goes on. To think that this young team is playing this good now; it's scary to think what they'll do in 4 years.

edit: doesn't matter how it's done, Germany gets sh*t done again.
I will say though, horrible call from the ref not giving that goal, but I don't think it would have mattered. Germany was like a freight train.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

Post by MUFC1994 » 27 Jun 2010, 18:14

soccer11 wrote:Germany will win a World Cup very soon. Probably not this one, but I think very soon, they will.
Ozil is 21, Muller is 20, Schweinsteiger and Podolski are only 25, Lahm's been around forever it seems but he's only 26 and the list goes on. To think that this young team is playing this good now; it's scary to think what they'll do in 4 years.

edit: doesn't matter how it's done, Germany gets sh*t done again.
I will say though, horrible call from the ref not giving that goal, but I don't think it would have mattered. Germany was like a freight train.
Ghana will also be a very dominant team next world cup. They have a very young, and impressive team imo.
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 27 Jun 2010, 19:04

WHAT THE sh*t WAS THAT?!

I'm tempted to make some quip about 'green' and mistakes right now. Truly horrific.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

Hugh
Veteran Member

Post by Hugh » 27 Jun 2010, 19:32

That goal changed the match, let me tell you why.

When that goal was disallowed it meant that England had to put more players up in attack every time they went forward, that's why you had John terry up in the box during quite a few of their attacking runs. This extra attention to the offence meant that Germany was able to effectively play the counter attack against us, a tactic that wouldn't have worked quite as well if England were playing under an equal score line.

That being said, there was some absolutely piss poor defending going on at our end, Gareth Barry showed all the pace of stephen hawking travelling uphill and some of the defensive errors were things that you would expect from 12 year olds.

Milner is another player so lacking in pace that he might as well be carrying a ball and chain and between him and Aaron Lennon there's not much to choose since they're both playing like sh*t. At least Lennon is fast, though.

Lampard obviously really came through in this match and he can feel extremely unlucky not to have at least one goal. As for the Germans they definitely benefited from the lackluster English defence but they're obviously still as weak in the air as they were in 1940 since we dominated headers and were able to play the long ball game pretty damn effectively.

Obviously the thing we can take away from this is that the FA needs to do a bit of soul (and player) searching and FIFA needs to take their heads out of Pele's ass and allow goal line technology.

Interesting side note: the referee in this game did the exact same thing (vis a vis goal) in 2006 and in 2002 he was suspended on charges of corruption from fellow referees.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Post by shahensha » 27 Jun 2010, 19:45

hmm another argentina midget cheats to score a controversial goal and then scores a brilliant legit goal. I am starting to see a pattern here.

Edit: Oh yeah controversy rears its ugly head again!

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 27 Jun 2010, 20:51

I can't believe it. Even after the lines man looked up at the TV screen in the Argentina match and saw the player was offside, and he said he had made a mistake, the Ref couldn't change it?

Shows how corrupt FIFA is. The sooner all the major figure heads at FIFA die the better.

As for England. Words cannot explain how disgusted I was with them. I've seen better defending in pub league.

But still, England would have won the game if that goal was allowed. The whole team would have been lifted if they equalised and Germany would be shitting all over the place.

Oh yeah, Rooney can fu** off and stay in South Africa, I don't want the piece of sh*t back as an England player or Manchester United player ever. fu** off to Real Madrid and give us 60 million you lazy, useless, worthless fu**ing scumbag.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 27 Jun 2010, 20:56

England's only world cup win was through a similar situation. Ball hit the underside of the bar, didnt cross the line, goal given, resulting Germany losin the final. So I cant see how they can complain now.

As for Argentina, I think that was actually a shot from Messi that was going into the net neway. Even if it didnt, Argentina would prob still win.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 27 Jun 2010, 21:00

klc123 wrote: But still, England would have won the game if that goal was allowed. The whole team would have been lifted if they equalised and Germany would be shitting all over the place.
lofty prediction there, no? You don't know that England would have won.
England still had almost 50 minutes to win that game; more than enough time to get another equalizer and a game winner.
It sucks to have a goal disallowed; trust me I know. It happened twice with the US. Difference is, US didn't quit and pout about it but rather went on with our business, which is what England should have done as they had plenty of time. Give Germany credit where credit is due. They played a good game.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 27 Jun 2010, 21:06

soccer11 wrote:
klc123 wrote: But still, England would have won the game if that goal was allowed. The whole team would have been lifted if they equalised and Germany would be shitting all over the place.
lofty prediction there, no? You don't know that England would have won.
England still had almost 50 minutes to win that game; more than enough time to get another equalizer and a game winner.
It sucks to have a goal disallowed; trust me I know. It happened twice with the US. Difference is, US didn't quit and pout about it but rather went on with our business, which is what England should have done as they had plenty of time. Give Germany credit where credit is due. They played a good game.
Yeh thats why I feel sry for them teams with character like US, South Korea and Australia(who conceded 4 goals to Germany with 10 men), but feel happy at watching them bunch of overpaid overhyped arrogant primadonnas, who actually are deluded enough to think theyre a good team, get dumped out of the world cup..

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 27 Jun 2010, 21:11

Did you watch the game? If we had got that equalizer then the momentum would have swung completely in England's favour, the fact it was disallowed completely deflated the team.

Wanderer I take it that you don't like England, nor do I give a sh*t, England were 3rd favourites to win and by good merit, when we play, we play amazing, when we don't, you get what you got today.

I will respect Germany, Ive said from their first match that they will be real contenders for winning the world cup, If they play like that, they will demolish any team, including the big two, Spain and Brazil. Argentina wouldn't have a hope against such brilliant attacking prowess to be honest.