ENGLAND!

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
ratherton
Veteran Member

soccer11 wrote:Just out of curiosity, why does it seem like no one likes Darren Bent? He scored 25 goals this past season and was arguably the most inform England striker at the end of the season, yet he didn't make the team.
I watch Bent at Ipswich when he was 17. He has always scored goals but as he doesn't play for a fashionable club, it seems he only deserves 10 mins here and there to prove his worth. If he was at Man U (or a similar club), he would play full games for England and excuses would be made if he didn't score.

soccer11
Admin

I'd argue that since he doesn't play for a fashionable club it's more of an achievement since he doesn't have that talent to back him up and it's easier for defenses to key in on him. The first time I saw him play was at the U-21 Euros a few years back and I really liked watching him play. I was certain he would become a star for England; I guess not.
I'm guessing you feel he deserves a chance to be there?

ratherton
Veteran Member

Absolutely he deserves a chance. He has scored goals at every club he has played for with the possible exception of Spurs.

He should get rid of the stupid beard though.

soccer11
Admin

Hopefully whoever the coach is in the coming years recognizes that.
Rooney--Bent could be a good partnership

In other news, if England fans needed any more reason to hate Ashley Cole
http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world- ... sow,252430

Magicfeet

I used to play football with Darren Bent on a daily basis and am a big fan of the guy.

However, I'm just not convinced he is good enough for international football. He is a goalscorer and nothing more, but when he has had an opportunity with England he's always fluffed his lines.

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

Magicfeet wrote:I used to play football with Darren Bent on a daily basis and am a big fan of the guy.

However, I'm just not convinced he is good enough for international football. He is a goalscorer and nothing more, but when he has had an opportunity with England he's always fluffed his lines.
He's had barely any real opportunity with England though. When he is given one every once in a blue moon, it seems like he panics a little, therefore his performances aren't the greatest.

It seemed a little hypocritical of Capello not to take him to the WC IMO. He says he takes players who are in form - 25 goals would indicate decent form I would have thought.

Magicfeet, where did you play with him?
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

ratherton
Veteran Member

Magicfeet wrote:I used to play football with Darren Bent on a daily basis and am a big fan of the guy.

Unless he gets a decent opportunity, we'll never know. 10-15 minutes here and there in friendly matches isn't going to tell us very much.