Worst World Cup?

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
Juice

I think that its just stupid to blame the ball, before the last world cup (or euro) it was the same talk about the ball...
Why is the bigger team playing bad, I think its beacuse the bigger players who plays for the bigger team, have waaaaaayyy to many games during a year. We have seen far to many player getting injured before the world cup, their basically playing more than a human body can handle.. I think that barcelona played a total for around 77 games this season, thats just sick..

The most important key to success is self-confidence.
The most important key to self-confidence is preparation.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

ReXage wrote:Is the ball affecting the game that badly? has anyone noticed noone and i mean NOONE is either shooting properly or the ball is just twirling away ( No shots on target).
if u watched the brazil - korea game you would notice about 10 shots off target.
I've noticed players leaning back too much or being very unbalanced, then there are players rushing the shot.

I think the players are thinking too much about the ball when shooting. I think they are trying to put more power behind it because it is lighter thinking it wll help but it just makes it worse. Stop thinking and just play.

2brown347
Veteran Member

arsenalfc08 wrote:
ReXage wrote:Is the ball affecting the game that badly? has anyone noticed noone and i mean NOONE is either shooting properly or the ball is just twirling away ( No shots on target).
if u watched the brazil - korea game you would notice about 10 shots off target.
I've noticed players leaning back too much or being very unbalanced, then there are players rushing the shot.

I think the players are thinking too much about the ball when shooting. I think they are trying to put more power behind it because it is lighter thinking it wll help but it just makes it worse. Stop thinking and just play.
I honestly haven't seen anything that surprises me. There have been bad shots and such but those are common in every game. If every player was like cr7 then the shot on goal average would probably be good this World Cup :wink:

I said in the other topic that we aren't seeing players having trouble dribbling, keepers are hitting their targets and the German and Argentina leagues that used the ball didn't complain a lot. I haven't even heard much complaining from players lately either, its just been fans and anylist making excuses. Maybe if some of the free kick takers tried to place their shots instead of just hitting the ball as hard as possible they'd do better.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

No there's definietely something about the ball, definitely...

Honestley, I have not seen a single decent cross, all the long balls skip far more than usual across the surface, the long shots seem to just accelerate into outer space (although thats starting to get better)

I'm almost sure they'll get used to it, and it may not be significant but the ball's being some sort of factor to the general play

But from points made above... The deciding factor to perhaps such a non entertaining show is perhaps the extremely defensive minded teams

But as they get more desperate that will more than likely improve

Another note, Brazil were very good tonight, two very good goals, was a good enjoyable game

panchester07
Veteran Member

Another note, Brazil were very good tonight, two very good goals, was a good enjoyable game
Thank You.. I thought I was the only one that realized that. People already were saying 2-1, Brazil didn't play so well, which is bolony.

Just a little thing I'd like to point out. Throughout history, its in the group phases that you see lots of goals, and then in the knockout rounds, (when theres less margin for error), that teams play more cautious and more defensive. So saying that things will improve later on, doesn't really look as plausible as I would like it to.

Yet you can always count on big teams, Spain, Netherlands, Germany, Argentina, Brazil to cheer your day off, when others decide to park the bus like some original asslickers
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

panchester07
Veteran Member

Has anybody noticed how tolerable football fans get when it comes to national sides. Bar a few teams (germany, brazil, and argentina maybe), how tolerable are we with the world cup. Don't get me wrong, im happy as fu** its the world cup, but realistically, most are playing terrible. How many crosses don't go to hell, how many sitters are palyers playing, how many balls are they not trapping, how many passes are they mistaking. Look at the highlights of most games, the level of play is way much lower than club teams. If a player plays like these teams are playing, he would eat bench at his club.

Shots that justt miss the goal by a 1 meterr that are suppose to be a dangerous situation. Like watch Barca, watch Man U, watch Madrid or any good team, they open the field to a winger, he crosses it to the middle, and 7/10 times his striker is gonna get a head on that ball, not score, but head it as good as he can and miss by a little, and even score some.. But when these teams cross it, 5/10 they miss the box by a longshot, 2/10 times they can manage to find the box, but put the ball 2 feet behind their strikers, and 1/10 times they finally manage to put it intheir striekrs head, for him to miss.

I don't know if I make sense or what, but I'm saying bar the 3 teams I mentioned, and maybe Netherlands, teams are makingggg wayyy to many mistakes.

2brown347
Veteran Member

That's because national team are players who usually get together a few times a year for different games (longer periods during cups or bigger events) and play for their nation. This mean a lot of nations don't have the quality of a good club team and don't have the chemistry of a good club team.

If you think about it the fact that they do/get along as well as they do is kind of crazy since a lot of players are rivals all year except when with their nations.

That said some of the most brilliant soccer moments are from the WC because it is (or at least use to be) the title that mattered most to a player. I think everyones over reacting about the scores. Soccers changed and is just about winning, this means that as of now every team just wants to make it through their group. Once teams have to go for wins we'll get better play.

D10

arsenalfc08 wrote:Unfortunetly i think the low scoring is bad for getting non soccer Americans to watch. I just watched the end of ESPN first take (a sports show) and the last part was about the "worst parts about the world cup". One argument was stoppage time which they just couldn't comprehened. Another was of course the horns but they also couldn't get over why the games end in draws. Basically they said its boring to watch which is typical.

One guy said he they should be restrictions to what defenders and the goal tender can do so more scoring can happen :roll: He kept using American football examples.

I would like to see more scoring but I'm still going to watch the games, its the world cup!

I still think the ball is ridiculous. Why do we need to mess around with new technology and make a new ball? Why not just use a ball they use in all the top leagues, put some different colors on it, and give it a funny name?
When will Americans learn that there is another world out there? With championships and tournaments more important and renowned than there own national competitions? So ignorant.

Back on topic, this world cup has been great so far. I actually like the sound of the Vuvuzela's I believe it adds atmosphere, also for players to continually blame this ball is a joke, everyone is using it and everyone has to shoot, pass, dribble and play with the same ball. The ball is almost acting as a leveler, this is the reason for close matches in my opinion, I think it's a fantastic thing.

To have the World Cup in Africa was a genius move by FIFA if you ask me.

2brown347
Veteran Member

If you wanna blame the lack of goals on something watch the Spain vs Swiss game. Every team that sees themselves as a underdog packs 8-10 guys behind the ball at all times.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

D10 wrote:
arsenalfc08 wrote:Unfortunetly i think the low scoring is bad for getting non soccer Americans to watch. I just watched the end of ESPN first take (a sports show) and the last part was about the "worst parts about the world cup". One argument was stoppage time which they just couldn't comprehened. Another was of course the horns but they also couldn't get over why the games end in draws. Basically they said its boring to watch which is typical.

One guy said he they should be restrictions to what defenders and the goal tender can do so more scoring can happen :roll: He kept using American football examples.

I would like to see more scoring but I'm still going to watch the games, its the world cup!

I still think the ball is ridiculous. Why do we need to mess around with new technology and make a new ball? Why not just use a ball they use in all the top leagues, put some different colors on it, and give it a funny name?
When will Americans learn that there is another world out there? With championships and tournaments more important and renowned than there own national competitions? So ignorant.

Back on topic, this world cup has been great so far. I actually like the sound of the Vuvuzela's I believe it adds atmosphere, also for players to continually blame this ball is a joke, everyone is using it and everyone has to shoot, pass, dribble and play with the same ball. The ball is almost acting as a leveler, this is the reason for close matches in my opinion, I think it's a fantastic thing.

To have the World Cup in Africa was a genius move by FIFA if you ask me.
I thought the vuvuzelas were annoying during the confederations cup but I'm used to them now. I can pretty much tune them out and have no problem hearing the commentary but we will see as the rounds progress, bigger matches, etc.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

It was awful today during the Spain match. It can only get worse as the matches and teams get more high-profile.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Some more "excellent" comments from American sports broadcasters on ESPN shows.

"This World Cup will be remembered only because of the horns"

"Don't blame South Africa for the vuvuzelas its the fans who are using them".

I'm pretty used to them now as I said but I think its helping that I have a few fans going in my room, I think its helping to drown them out. At least it seems like it to me.

2brown347
Veteran Member

arsenalfc08 wrote:Some more "excellent" comments from American sports broadcasters on ESPN shows.

"This World Cup will be remembered only because of the horns"

"Don't blame South Africa for the vuvuzelas its the fans who are using them".

I'm pretty used to them now as I said but I think its helping that I have a few fans going in my room, I think its helping to drown them out. At least it seems like it to me.
They stations are also added more audio filter or something I guess to make them less distracting.

panchester07
Veteran Member

If you think about it the fact that they do/get along as well as they do is kind of crazy since a lot of players are rivals all year except when with their nations.
I don't agree with this. I think rivals are only rivals, not enemies. They salute each other before the games, often with a hug and kiss, exchange t-shirts after it, and between the same nationalities you never see a scum move. You'll never see Lampard elbowing Gerrard, or Rooney cleat Terry unpurpose with harmful intentions. They get along well, of course they want to win, but they respect others and can work with them just fine even if they are Barca vs Madrid for example, just see Spain's midfield. Also, when they are together as a national team, the intensity and motivation is so big they forget the individual, they don't think me, they think I, also they bond together for a good while and are together for 6-7 hours of the day atleast.

They get along in their respective leagues, and in their national teams the bond is even bigger. Just knowing you and whoever have to represent your country is stronger enough than any harsh feeling they could have towards each other. Its always been this way, and it has always worked out well. Playing for national team is much more inspiring to player than playing for club, they are English, Spanish, Italian, Argentine forever, before they are Madrid, Juve, or Man U. Club teams change, national teams are forever, and player know this and feel this at the strongest intensity.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

What has Liverpool done to Torres (apart from make him)

Spain were great, but awful at finishing, really frustrating game from a fans perspective

I'm used to World Cup's being better, but I'll say nothing... Maybe the final will end up be a 5-4 last minute Maradona moment to win affair

It really just seems team don't realise they are here to 'play' in a World Cup, Instead they are trying to 'not lose' in a World Cup