Worst World Cup?

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
NewBornProdigy
Admin

Not trying to be pessimistic but in terms of goal scoring this has been the lowest scoring world cup of all time so far

And by watching teams... Everyone possibly can score plenty... It just seems noone is able to create well worked passing moves and turn them into chances bar Argentina and Germany

Maybe this mad ball is to blame aswell? Most long shots are flying MILES off target

panchester07
Veteran Member

Agreed with the last bit. Been saying it since the first game. This ball is harder to control, and harder to shoot. No freekick has gone on target with the excetion of Henry's shot, which hit the head of a Uruguayan. The rest, taken by experts like Lampard, Cr9, and Lio have all soared over the crossbar.

The only ones that can handle this ball have been the German's but its cause they played all year with it.

Also, teams are more cautios, more careful and risk less. Ivory Coast had like 3 minutes towards the end of the match in which they didn't stop attacking, and they had 8 portuguesse players defending, why didn't they play like this for more periods of the game? Maybe not the 90 minutes but why not attack like that say the last 20 of the first half?

Argentina and Germany have attacked and played well. Hopefully Brazil today also.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

bsc
Veteran Member

I think it's been great even with the lack of scoring.

In the first round a lot of teams just set up not to lose. we'll see a lot more attacking games in a bit.

Until then, Tactical style duels!
Image Image
And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true

fawad000

panchester07 wrote: Hopefully Brazil today also.
I hope they attack because this is becoming a rarity since Dunga took over.

I do not think it's the worst world cup.Imo the reason this world cup is not having so many goals is because of the increase in the skills and talents of the team and vice versa.10 years back, none would have predicted a team like Ivory coast or New Zealand would even make it to the world cup. Traditional giants used to dominate at that time. Players of continents except for Europe and S.America normally used to play in their own leagues. The game was still in the process of revolutionizing.Now, weaker teams are getting better and better and I would not be surprised if I see a new Wc champion(apart from those who have already won the wc).
The ball has played it's part too but we can't solely blame the ball. Germans scored 4 goals against a defensive minded team with the same ball so why can't others.
Also, now a days it seems like nobody cares about flair and playing beautiful football. All people care about is results. Former Ivory coast manager(some bosnian guy) was sacked at the 24 match despite winning 23 matches with them in a row.

scottS4
Veteran Member

shots aren't the only thing that has been all over the place. crosses have also been terrible, going over everybody or being headed away from the first defender. but i think as the tournament goes on, players will get more used to the ball and we'll start to see more shots on target. also by the 2nd/3rd game of the group stage, teams will be in danger of being knocked out so they'll have to break out of their shell and attack more.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Sorry guys misleading title, should be Worst 'Attacking' World Cup

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Unfortunetly i think the low scoring is bad for getting non soccer Americans to watch. I just watched the end of ESPN first take (a sports show) and the last part was about the "worst parts about the world cup". One argument was stoppage time which they just couldn't comprehened. Another was of course the horns but they also couldn't get over why the games end in draws. Basically they said its boring to watch which is typical.

One guy said he they should be restrictions to what defenders and the goal tender can do so more scoring can happen :roll: He kept using American football examples.

I would like to see more scoring but I'm still going to watch the games, its the world cup!

I still think the ball is ridiculous. Why do we need to mess around with new technology and make a new ball? Why not just use a ball they use in all the top leagues, put some different colors on it, and give it a funny name?

scottS4
Veteran Member

heres an interesting slide show of all the balls they've used in the WC from 1930 onwards:

http://www.zeit.de/kultur/kunst/2010-06 ... e-wm-fotos

there seems to have been revolutionary changes in the ball from the 2002 WC and the 2006 WC

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

If the ball was meant to increase scoring and make games 'more exciting'... They failed miserably. Quite the opposite, actually.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

Not all teams have played yet. Wait for the end of the the tournament to make such a call, anyway. Also, I don't think you can blame any of this on the ball. It may be a factor in distance shots, but its a factor every player should have control of by now.

2brown347
Veteran Member

I still think the ball is a cop out. It's the first round and teams are wanting to prevent loss points. You can't really help it if teams park the bus in front of goal or players fail to score. It's the World Cup and the goal in todays football isn't to win with style, it's simply to win (which in the group stages means starting with at least a point.)

Agree with Nat_H 100%

Met

Google Zonal Marking and read every report on the game. Every single game, at least one of the two teams has seemed to play to not lose. Again, I repeat, playing to not lose. Even this bug has infected the African football. If you watched the African Cup of Nations, the array of attacking talent. It was absurd the goals scored. Partly due to really, I mean really bad defence display. However, in coming tournaments it should even, balance itself out. Even the best attacking game so far, the Germany game, Australia had no recognised forward in order to play for a 0-0 draw. Even watch Brazil game, almost a defence masterclass bar keeper's positioning. I wouldn't be surprised if this was lowest scoring World Cup. It's defence over attack. It's functional midfield over creative midfield. It's players behind the ball rather than leave a few up for counter attack. Attack is being strangled to death so yes, this may be " the worst 'attacking' world cup" yet. Pride was grabbing a few goals against the top teams, now it's getting a point off them. It's doable, but not pretty football

Anyhow, it's first round of games. Everyone would like to avoid defeat because it means you are in the running for longer. It's extra cautious and the creative players need a few games to get accustomed to this heavy defence minded attitude.

Yeah, don't blame the ball. I turn up to random picthes on Sunday league with home teams playing with different balls at different pressures and I got on with it okay. The professional players play with it every training session. How have they not gotten used to it by now? Players just looking for excuses.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Met wrote:
Yeah, don't blame the ball. I turn up to random picthes on Sunday league with home teams playing with different balls at different pressures and I got on with it okay. The professional players play with it every training session. How have they not gotten used to it by now? Players just looking for excuses.
Best way to put it. Almost everytime I play its with a ball I'm unfamiliar with and even if I have to adapt how I play I get along fine (and I'm 1/10th the worst player in the world cup)

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

The games so far have been pretty boring IMO but like many of you have said, the teams seem to be playing not to lose.

I admit that I enjoy seeing many goals scored so for me this World Cup hasn't been too exciting so far. Then again, we are still in the beginning of the tournament so I shouldn't be too quick to judge.

ReXage

Is the ball affecting the game that badly? has anyone noticed noone and i mean NOONE is either shooting properly or the ball is just twirling away ( No shots on target).
if u watched the brazil - korea game you would notice about 10 shots off target.