2010 FIFA WC: Group D

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
Anymi
Veteran Member
Posts: 781
Joined: 21 Dec 2007, 20:09

Post

2brown347 wrote:I knew they'd get first in their group but I didn't think they'd go any further, but if they keep playing like this they'll go beat any team we've seen so far.
In the bracket thread i tipped them to make the final.

No matter how bad both Italy and Germany play they make it far. Its who they are.

Argentina wont do any well. If they do Ill run naked with Maradona and now tommy smyth

Wanderer
Veteran Member
Posts: 1084
Joined: 22 Mar 2007, 01:42

Post

We're abit of a defensive team. We have a strong defence(team that conceded least goals in qualifying). Reason we lost by 4 goals was only coz of sending off, and we got forward to attack, which left defence open at the back.

However, it could be a good thing, coz after losing 4 goals, the players will probably get less defensive minded and attack more in the next match, coz they know they have to win, or get eliminated.

This go all out attack mentality is just nice, to be used on our next opponents Ghana, who play defensive, and dont have a strong attack or counterattack, so no fear of conceding on the counter when attacking.

Ghana arent like Germany in the sense that they dont have a good attack, and they rely on defence to get through games. However in Kewell and Emerton I think we have enough to break down their defence. Meanwhile our defence will deal with their attack no problem. Narrow win this.

Meanwhile Serbia will be playing Germany. Prob will lose too. And that means that their world cup hopes of second round will be over. So, having nothing to play for, they will be just ripe for picking at the time we play them(last match of the group).

They might have some good players, but when you have nothing to play for, even good players play pretty crap. Kinda like Liverpool players in second half of the season when they had nothing to play for. Two or three goals win.

NewBornProdigy
Admin
Posts: 2695
Joined: 23 May 2008, 19:51

Post

The Australians play in the Oceanic region don't they? Not a great region for football, easy enough to qualify, especially for a mediocre/good team like Australia

Point being that their 'good' defense was destroyed... Germany conducted an Assasinantion last night

They're old and the Australian midfeilders couldn't follow runners

So germany just repeatedly beat the poorly executed offside trap

Last night was more of a case of bad defending then good attacking and great teamwork rather then good attackin

Wanderer
Veteran Member
Posts: 1084
Joined: 22 Mar 2007, 01:42

Post

NewBornProdigy wrote:The Australians play in the Oceanic region don't they? Not a great region for football, easy enough to qualify, especially for a mediocre/good team like Australia

Point being that their 'good' defense was destroyed... Germany conducted an Assasinantion last night

They're old and the Australian midfeilders couldn't follow runners

So germany just repeatedly beat the poorly executed offside trap

Last night was more of a case of bad defending then good attacking and great teamwork rather then good attackin
Funny coz from wat Ive read of the others, apparently Germany have been the best attacking team so far in the tournament.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod
Posts: 3028
Joined: 19 Jun 2007, 22:03

Post

Hasn't there been some discussion of the Aussies qualifying through Asia at some point?
Last edited by Rome_Leader on 16 Jun 2010, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.

2brown347
Veteran Member
Posts: 3339
Joined: 30 Oct 2007, 04:15

Post

Wanderer wrote:
NewBornProdigy wrote:The Australians play in the Oceanic region don't they? Not a great region for football, easy enough to qualify, especially for a mediocre/good team like Australia

Point being that their 'good' defense was destroyed... Germany conducted an Assasinantion last night

They're old and the Australian midfeilders couldn't follow runners

So germany just repeatedly beat the poorly executed offside trap

Last night was more of a case of bad defending then good attacking and great teamwork rather then good attackin
Funny coz from wat Ive read of the others, apparently Germany have been the best attacking team so far in the tournament.
I think it was great attacking, but a good defense can stop a good attack. Cahill's sending off didn't really do much for Germany since their defense wasn't bothered by him anyway. Plus he'll be gone for the Ghana game.

pzona
Junior Member
Posts: 79
Joined: 11 Jun 2010, 16:34

Post

Rome_Leader wrote:Hasn't there been some discussion of the Aussies qualifying through Asia at some point?
That started this year (not this calendar year, but I mean for this WC). Good move in my opinion, as Australia are good enough to make it out of Asia and it gives some smaller Oceanic teams a chance.

panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3851
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post

I thought the sending off of Cahill killed the australians. I thought he was key in the middle and had australia playing to an extent, and when they sent him off, Australia truely collapsed. Before the sent off it was a 2-0 win for germany game. After the send off the game turned in to a 4 differential game. (not results just how superior one team was than the tother)
to know Him is to want to know Him more"


"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

2brown347
Veteran Member
Posts: 3339
Joined: 30 Oct 2007, 04:15

Post

panchester07 wrote:I thought the sending off of Cahill killed the australians. I thought he was key in the middle and had australia playing to an extent, and when they sent him off, Australia truely collapsed. Before the sent off it was a 2-0 win for germany game. After the send off the game turned in to a 4 differential game. (not results just how superior one team was than the tother)
I don't think the score would have been any different if he stayed in. He was bothering the German defense but about as much as a fly bothers a horse. If anything it may have been worse since the Aussies tightened up after he got sent off.

D10
Junior Member
Posts: 99
Joined: 03 Jul 2008, 01:31

Post

Australia qualify from the ASIA region, they qualified with Japan.

panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3851
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post

D10 wrote:Australia qualify from the ASIA region, they qualified with Japan.
Before japan right? They where the first team outside of South Africa to qualify I heard? I heard they had a picnic with the Korea's and Japan. How come they have the worst result of the 3? Obviously German was a bigger rival but.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"


"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

pzona
Junior Member
Posts: 79
Joined: 11 Jun 2010, 16:34

Post

2brown347 wrote:
panchester07 wrote:I thought the sending off of Cahill killed the australians. I thought he was key in the middle and had australia playing to an extent, and when they sent him off, Australia truely collapsed. Before the sent off it was a 2-0 win for germany game. After the send off the game turned in to a 4 differential game. (not results just how superior one team was than the tother)
I don't think the score would have been any different if he stayed in. He was bothering the German defense but about as much as a fly bothers a horse. If anything it may have been worse since the Aussies tightened up after he got sent off.
I think it did affect their confidence quite a bit. Just knowing that you're a man down can do a whole lot of damage to your mental game, so in that sense I think the sending off really killed Australia. You're right Cahill wasn't doing much, but he's one of their big name players, and you never know what might have happened.

klc123
Veteran Member
Posts: 2820
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 16:26

Post

Tbh, the aussies could have had 12 men on the pitch, the Germans still would have broken them down and ripped them apart.

The way I look at it is that a brilliant attacking team breaks down the defence and forces them them to play sh*t making the defence look poor. Give the worlds best defenders 90 minutes against Barcelona and they will be absolutely strained to the maximum.

The Australians weren't exactly playing bad in that game, infact they looked good coming forwards and solid at the back, but once Germany got into their stride they were breaking down the defence every time they got the ball, and it was the best attacking display of the world cup, by any team, by miles.

MUFC1994
Veteran Member
Posts: 1227
Joined: 30 Jun 2008, 17:30

Post

klose's sending off was a huge surprise! Germany look to be in trouble
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

soccer11
Admin
Posts: 4870
Joined: 24 Feb 2005, 23:40
Location: Michigan, USA

Post

This referee is ruining the game. He's having far too big of an influence, and that usually isn't a good thing.
Serbia's playing a good defensive game. They're really closing down the Germans. Germany is possessing the ball pretty well but they can't break down the defense. Germany has an uphill climb.
Image

Post Reply