2010 FIFA WC: Group C

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
shahensha
Veteran Member

Can USA pull off an upset over England once again?

How will england perform in the WC now that they have a competent manager?

pzona

In all honesty I see USA and England drawing 1-1. Both have viable attacking threats and very good defenses, so I think this game will come down to midfield play and whose players are more fit. It should be very interesting to watch; I've been looking forward to this since they opened the ball at the draw and announced we were in England's group.

As for their tournament outlook, I see England making the quarterfinals and then probably going out. Capello is a good fit for England, and I think he's done a solid job so far, but their real problem is injury (sound familiar?). Whether or not they make a deep run into the tournament is really dependent on the fitness of the players more than anything Capello can do, in my opinion.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

I think anyone who doubts England is kidding themselves, you could injure their entire starting line up and still have a team that would make it out of the group

This is the first time in ages they have had a potent manager

I see them doing very well

But time will tell

Anyway 2-0 England

pzona

NewBornProdigy wrote:2-0 England
Just out of curiosity, are you English? Even Jim Rome is excited for the USA, which is really saying something. America will be feeding off the "1950 all over again" hype, whether they admit it or not, and I think they realize that this is arguably the most important match for US soccer ever (just hear me out on this, I'll explain). Conversely, England is vastly more talented, player for player. I wouldn't expect either team to win by more than a goal.

The reason I say this is our most important game ever is because, well, it's against England. The US has been an up and down team over the last eight years, and before that they were nearly all down. This is not only a historically significant match (see: 1950, and yes, I think that's relevant), but it marks a chance for the US to establish itself on the world stage after a 2006 Cup that I would describe as no more than awful. Admittedly, we've had chances similar to this one before (Brazil in the Confederations Cup comes to mind, as well as the entire group stage in 2006), but this...this is fu**ing England. Am I biased because I'm an American? Yeah, probably. But I think this is our chance to establish ourselves as a world power, albeit a secondary one.

pzona

Jesus H. Christ, what good luck. I was really worried for about the first 15 minutes, but we settled into a nice rhythm and the first was back and forth for the most part. A few defensive lapses, but a few decent chances too. Great goal by Gerrard, and by that I mean great pass by Heskey. But dear lord what a terrible mistake by Green. I wouldn't be surprised to see a different keeper in their next game if Green makes another mistake like that. I'll take it though.

shahensha
Veteran Member

no wonder england always loses on penalty shoot-outs.....they cant produce decent goal keepers anymore.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

With any luck, Green's gaff will inspire youth to devote themselves to goalkeeping...

micha
New User

Is it just me, or does Johnson seem to be england's most active attacker? :roll:

Despite the score line, that was fun (and very frustrating to watch).

Btw,
>=30 shots on goal + almost 50 - 50 possession = fun. :)

pzona

Great game to watch. There were good moves, good possession, and great chances for both sides. On the whole I would say it's a fair result, but the English will probably disagree. I'm really happy with it though, a point from England is always good in my book. Assuming both teams win their remaining matches it'll come down to goal difference, so I'm looking for more attacking power from the US in their next two games.

I was pretty impressed with Robbie Findley up top, considering how few touches he got, so I'm optimistic about our chances in the second round (assuming we qualify of course). Altidore didn't deliver a goal, but he looked decent in attack. Our defense was solid, but I think there were a few mistakes we'll definitely want to look at and correct, but on the whole we did well. The midfield was a critical point going into the match, and they did a good job of holding possession, so I don't have any major complaints with them. And Howard was great, although he wasn't heavily tested.

soccer11
Admin

I haven't been on the edge of my seat for a game like I was for that one in a long time. wow.
I was really worried after Gerrard scored but we brought it together.
Some notes about the game:
-Green . . . hahaha
-in the first half, we had trouble controlling the ball in the midfield but then we took it outside and started doing stuff. That really stretched the defense out
-Perfect example of why Cherundolo is the starter and not Spector. Tim Howard was the man of the match but I think Cherundolo was 2nd. very good game.
-DeMerit=shutdown? It's been a while since Rooney has been that nonexistent in a game.
-Onewyu looked healthy. He could jump and move pretty effectively.
-I was surprised Findley was the starter but he didn't do bad, but then again he didn't do anything spectacular either.

Overall a good game. Assuming US and England do finish 1-2, this might come down to goal differential to see who takes the top spot.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

I'm happy with the result especially after we conceded so early. My mom was even hyped for the match and she never watches soccer. She kept asking what time the game started lol.

I thought Cherundolo was fantastic! If he can get forward in our next 2 games he could cause problems on the attack. He was also solid in defense, an all around good player.

I was shocked when I saw Findley starting but he didn't do too bad. I'd still prefer Buddle or Gomez tbh.

Rooney was a non factor which was a big surprise given how in form he has been. This was great for us though.

We still have it all to do against Algeria and Slovenia. I've watched Algeria a few times, all speed pretty much not much else.

soccer11
Admin

Isn't that
is it? :P

fawad000

Oguchi onyewu is a beast. He cleared everything which came his way. A guy like him can definitely replace Nesta and form a solid partnership with Thiago Silva.
Cherundolo was also good.I was also hoping to see more of Buddle after his brace against Socceros.

Nat_H
Veteran Member

It'll be interesting to see how both USA and England respond in their next two matches. This group could get interesting, as either Algeria or Slovenia will take first place in group C with a win tomorrow. I wouldn't count either of those teams out of hanging onto 1st/2nd place; anything can happen.

pzona

soccer11 wrote: -DeMerit=shutdown? It's been a while since Rooney has been that nonexistent in a game.
Agreed. Rooney was my biggest worry before the game, but he didn't even get a touch until the 17th minute. I've always been a little unsure about Demerit (not that I would rather see someone else start, I just wasn't sure about him as a defender) but he erased all my doubts today. This was one of the finest defensive performances by the USA in a World Cup, well, ever. Mistakes? Yeah, there were a few, but overall I was very impressed. I'm hoping they can continue this against Slovenia and Algeria, as I can't see us losing or even drawing if they do.