2010 FIFA WC: Group B

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
Evan
Veteran Member

It's true that Messi did not finish once but he tried
You're right, none of the other forwards tried. Lol.. :roll:
I seriously doubt he would get 90 mins again
Again? He never got 90 minutes in the first place, that's why it was suggested he get 90 minutes... :lol:
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.

fawad000

Evan wrote:
It's true that Messi did not finish once but he tried
You're right, none of the other forwards tried. Lol.. :roll:
By trying I mean this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bikLLydrSg4
I seriously doubt he would get 90 mins again
Evan wrote:Again? He never got 90 minutes in the first place, that's why it was suggested he get 90 minutes... :lol:
My bad. :oops: Anyways, he would never ever get 90 mins of play time if he misses sitters like he did against Nigeria.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Argentina didn't stop attaking, all game, with football they tore to pieces that team called nigeria, the score would have been more lengthy, i can admit that, but the fact that they had 9 one on one opportunities, and that the score could have easily been 4-0 but they only scored 1, and the superhuman nigerian keeper blocked like 4 clear ones, is far from being a worthy argument to why they didn't play much better than uruguay or france.

"Oh argentina only scored once, they played like crap" common lad, analyze the damn game, they had like 5 clear ones, to bad the ball didn't go in the net, but the playing ws awesome. Better than all group a teams, infact the best team to play so far. Even if Korea had better results argentina played better. They created more chnaces and attacked more.

Lio is raching barca level. But I don't know if Lio and Di Maria can shine at the same time, I didn't see him at all. Higuian was making solid runs, but his finishing was off.

The game was only missing a few goals that would have made it exceptional.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Evan
Veteran Member

"Oh argentina only scored once, they played like crap" common lad, analyze the damn game
If that was directed at me, I suggest you read my earlier post. I have a feeling it was...
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.

2brown347
Veteran Member

I did analyze the gam panchester, and the second Argentina a team that can keep it from scoring as well as score themselves they'll be going home. Tevez and Messi have no chemistry, and the only reason Nigeria wasn't able to get more shots on goal was because the attacking players kept the ball at their feet. When Nigeria did get a chance to pressure the defense you could see it was far from a world class back line. Great players don't always make a great team and a great attacking team (that can't finish may I add but I'll say that's just because of first game nerves since they obviously can) with a average at best back 4 isn't a team to be feared. All a team needs to do is keep them from scoring and play counter attack football to beat them, and I'm sure every manager knows that after watching Nigeria play them today.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Argentina made good use of possession play to create multiple chances. Its a shame only one goal was scored. Veron was bit of a disappointment as the game went on.

I am not going to lie, Argentina's defence looks shaky. There were many times the Nigerians were able to penetrate the back line on counters and send a ball across the goal. Uche could have scored an equaliser if his foot was an inch higher.

The argies created many chances and Messi is guilty of not scoring. Tevez and Higuain were set up for a few shots at goal but they didnt finish either. Milito could have laid out an easy through ball for a clear 1v1 but he overdribbled and wasted the chance.

I have said this already but Argentina's only hope to compensate for their lack-lustre defence is to capitalize their scoring chances with the arsenal of talented forwards they have. If they fire blanks then Argentina has no chance in the finals.

Regardless, it was the first start for many of the stars in the opening group stage of the finals so hopefully their defence figures out the kinks in time for the knockouts and ofcourse Argentina start finishing like they are supposed to.

Hey panch, after watching Messi's man of the match performance, you think he has a shot at proving his final doubt wrong? :P :D

Wanderer
Veteran Member

The Argentine dribbling and touches were pretty good. Id go as far as to say they have the best dribblers and touchers in the World Cup.

Passing and plays was decent and creative, Veron is no Riquelme tho. hope its just a one off. They're much better than ppl make them out to be however.

Only thing they lacked was clinical finishing, other than that it was pretty much a good attackin game. If it was Green instead of Enyma in goal, Messi would prob hav had a hattrick.

mr_dude

One thing I really noticed about Argentina is that they had the attacking players in and around Nigeria's box, then a gap a third of the field in length, then Macherano and the defence. The gap was occasionally "filled" by Veron and Gutierrez.
It was a good game played by almost all the Argentina players, and I'll admit at this point I'm just looking for anything against Dumbass (Maradona), but that setup will concede the midfield against better teams.
"A match isn't lost until after it's over." Me
"The greatest glory in life lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Nelson Mandella

panchester07
Veteran Member

Shahensa, hopefully he can completely prove it wrong, i think he played a lot like the one we are used to, and that makes me heart sing :lol: . But, I think his style sometimes disallows a bit others to shine, for example Di Maria, and I don't know how much other can play with him, like Tevez and Higuian, that I didn't see them to well. Most likely, these are things that will improve with team practices and games, and by the time they are out of the group they should be playing at a ridiculous level.

Who said none of the other fowards besides Messi tried? They tried they just couldn't finish. Argentina won well, and thanks to that Keeper the difference wasn't wider, and everybody would be like "oh argentina played so well". I'm astounded by the amount of 1 v 1 chances that where created, they are playing so well. They always looked for the goal, challenged players, and outplayed the rival. Bottom line they won well, played well, and the difference could have been much bigger. I'm surpised the keeper hasn't gotten any offers by Madrid yet :P

Evan
Veteran Member

Imagine if Maradona hadn't been such a dumbass...Argentina's team would be so great with the proper additions.

-------------Whoever--------------

Zanetti-Samuel-Demichelis-Heinze

---Riquelme-Cambiasso-Masch---

-----Messi----Higuain----Di Maria

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Why Zanetti and Cambiasso were left out of that squad is completely mind boggling. They are two world class veteran players who would greatly help their team.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Mostly to Evan:
No doubt, but again, why are we talking about it? What has it to do with the world cup? Do you just have to constantly criticize him, we spent 4 months bitching about Maradona and why he should have taken such and such. Its irrelevant right now, he has a plan for the team, and it obviously didn't include em. I also agree it would have been better with Cambiasso, Zanetti, and Roman, but we have what we have. Lastly I didn't see any errors in the midfields or any notable mistakes that you could say "Zanetti would have stopped that from happening" or "cambiasso would have made Higuian finish better" .. .

I'm done imagining what would have happened if maradona would have taken anybody, i'm looking at the glass half full and its that you have a brilliant squad, and that outplayed and tore Nigeria to pieces, if you still wanna look at "what would have happened if he would have taken zanetti" thats your choice, but i'm sure as hell moving on, and I trust in this team, and I have all the reasons to do so.

Also, I still don't know how Higuian missed so many sitters, holy smokes! It could have been 3, 4-0 and everybody would have been" OMG Argentina played so well!"

Messi had a lot that he created on his own.

Again, did Nigeria not do anything in attack? Or did the argentina game style not let them do anything?

To brown:
Every team could know how to play against Argentina? Can they execute it ? Can they keep up the pace? Same could be said about Netherlands, Barca, Italy, SPAIN, any great team has a style that works best against them, if it where that easy we would all be coaching pro teams, their's a difference between knowing and doing. Also, what where they suppose to do? Sit back with 5 defenders + mascherano and couterattack, so the tournament gets more ugly, and then "nobody knows how to play against them" . You say "you just score more goals than you let them score on you". Easy to say my man, almost impossible to do ..

They just need to finish, they just to finish, they just need to finish and everybody will be talking about them. But their playing is gorgeous and they made the tuffest team in the group play their most stressing 90minutes of their lives.

2brown347
Veteran Member

The differnece is Netherlands, Spain, Brazil, etc is they have defences that could handle counter-attacks from a decent team. I could see a team like Italy beating Argentina with ease by simply absorbing the pressure and counter-attacking. You can stay on your bandwagon but they'll disappoint you.

panchester07
Veteran Member

To me thats absurd. you don't know this. someone on this forum said the defense isn't solid enough and then everybody is saying it. To me all the FAIR evidence we have is this game vs Nigeria and the defense didn't seem bad at all. You can predict that their defense wont be solid vs a better team the same way I can predict the Corean will beat Nigeria 4-0. There was an early shot where this nigerian busted a stepover and beat Jonas Guttierez but im certain that would beaten any defender out there.

All the defenders play in well known european teams, mascherano compliments them beautifully, and they spend little time defending, when they do, they have numeral advantage.

Again, you can predict the defense wont be good, but you can't fairly compair argentina in the qualification rounds, or Demichelis and his form in bayern munchen, to how the team will close up in South Africa.

So what evidence do we have that the defense is bad? None, a bunch of opinions, some hypothesis, and that one defender was messing up with Bayern Munchen, but has been pretty solid the rest of his career, and coulñd pretty much be this solid in the world cup.

I don't see Italy absorbing Argentina's pressure if they can't absorb Mexico. I don't see any real reason why Argentina's defesne isn't as good as Netherlands defense, can you show me any ? Does a team with 5 very good defensive players, that spend most of the time attacking and in possesion of the ball, really have to worry about their defense?
Last edited by panchester07 on 13 Jun 2010, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.

soccer11
Admin

To be fair, I don't think the last game was a fair indication of how good (or bad) Argentina's defense is as they weren't truly tested. We'll have a much better idea of where that defense really is after the game against South Korea and once they come up against a bigger team.