2010 FIFA WC: Group B

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
pzona

I'm hugely impressed with Enyeama so far. This game should be over right now, but great goalkeeping is making the difference. Maybe this is the year African keepers get their sh*t together; there have been two (or one and a half) great performances so far.

pzona

Wow. I'm very surprised Argentina didn't manage to score more goals against this Nigerian defense, they held up a lot better than I expected. I never would have guessed 1-0 would be the final. Argentina easily deserved this win, as they were the better team from very early on, but the way both teams failed to capitalize on chances, this could very well have ended in a draw or even a win for Nigeria. It came down to badly missed chances from Nigeria more than anything. Their defense was much better than expected (although they've still got work to do for their next two games) and their goalkeeping was nothing short of excellent. Argentina will score goals if they keep up this attacking stlye, but overall I was fairly impressed by both teams.

Evan
Veteran Member

Higuain should have bagged a couple easily lol he looked like he did at Lyon. Poor.

Panchester, do you still feel that Argentina showed everyone how to play footy? Because if 1 shot per 20 goals is good footy than I'll be damned.

PLEASE COUNT THE ABOVE AS AN EPIC FAIL. I AM QUITE AWARE THAT 20 GOALS PER SHOT IS AN AMAZING FEAT
Last edited by Evan on 12 Jun 2010, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.

Icy
Veteran Member

sh*t Evan, 20 goals per shot? I'd say it's pretty good footy ;)
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

panchester07
Veteran Member

Evan wrote:Higuain should have bagged a couple easily lol he looked like he did at Lyon. Poor.

Panchester, do you still feel that Argentina showed everyone how to play footy? Because if 1 shot per 20 goals is good footy than I'll be damned.
This may come out as harsh, but don't take it personal:

If you really have the intelligence to say that Argentina didn't outplay nigeria and made them dance on their feet for 90 minutes just cause they didn't score more than a goal than i don't think i should be discussing with you. They PLAYED football, and even a blindman can see it, to say they dind't play well just cause they dind't finish is nothing but a big bag of bolony.

Well maybe if your favorite player over here would have finished 1 of the many clear chances he had the storyline would have been different.

And I don't know if you noticed or not, but 1-0 is better than 0-0. In fact Argentina showed everybody how to play, they outplayed nigeria at all times, they just forgot to show them how to finish. They were balling nigeria up, creating chances, beating men, wall passes, pre planned plays, they played exellent shot much more and had much more possesion constantly. They showed everyone exactly how to play, not how to finish. So will Netherlands when they play, and So Will Spain when they play, good teams play football, they don't sit back with 7 men defending and send long balls for 2 short strikers to chase down and tire them selves.

Today "defensive football" had their fisrt victim. Greece started attacking in the 20th minute of the second half, they where trying to play it safe, much like Uruguay or France, to find Korea outscoring them 2-0. Caught with their pants down, they decided to attack and made substitutions accordingly, to little to late.

I hope you get my point, I'm highlighting that uruguay and france need lessons on attackingg, and argentina attacked well, they just finished poorly, but they had more than a handful of 1 v 1 and out played their rival with class and mastery at all times. Thats hwo you play.

Messi had atleast 5 shots vs the keeper that he couldn't capitalize.
Tevez had a few, and so did Higuauin, I don't know how the scoreline was so leveled.

And they left their goal in 0, so I don't see any major problems in defense, so calm your biased down. :lol:

Again, please don't take it the wrong way. but it had to be said
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Argentina reminded me of arsenal, amazing play, but poor finishing

Maradona is a bit strange at times all the same, I saw Tevez playing as a CM for the best part of the second half
Because if 1 shot per 20 goals is good footy than I'll be damned.
Is that even possible? :D

Seriously tho, They made bits of Nigeria Evan, gonna have to back panch on this one

Just didn't finish as well as they could have, albeit the keeper was fabulous

soccer11
Admin

I thought Argentina as a whole played really well. Messi had these opportunities that he would've no doubt finished off with Barca.
Nigeria were just so bad though. This wasn't much of a test for Argentina's defense. How do you screw up a 4 on 2 counter attack (or whatever the numbers were) that bad.
The South Korea v. Argentina game will be much better I think, especially if the Koreans play the way they did today.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

I thought they did all they could, the offense just didn't click. Great effort by the goalkeeper to keep them in it.

Evan
Veteran Member

This may come out as harsh, but don't take it personal:

If you really have the intelligence to say that Argentina didn't outplay nigeria and made them dance on their feet for 90 minutes just cause they didn't score more than a goal than i don't think i should be discussing with you. They PLAYED football, and even a blindman can see it, to say they dind't play well just cause they dind't finish is nothing but a big bag of bolony.
Yes, thank you for pointing out that they played football, I never would've guessed. The only reason I said it was because you came in saying "Argentina are going to show the teams how to play football omg!"

They didn't, they exhibited poor finishing (ESPECIALLY Higuain lol, I'll admit to it, he looked like he did vs. Lyon :lol: )

And I don't know if you noticed or not, but 1-0 is better than 0-0. In fact Argentina showed everybody how to play, they outplayed nigeria at all times, they just forgot to show them how to finish. They were balling nigeria up, creating chances, beating men, wall passes, pre planned plays, they played exellent shot much more and had much more possesion constantly. They showed everyone exactly how to play, not how to finish. So will Netherlands when they play, and So Will Spain when they play, good teams play football, they don't sit back with 7 men defending and send long balls for 2 short strikers to chase down and tire them selves.
Thanks again, I would've never guessed that 1-0 is better than 0-0. But once again, I go back to your quote, they did not show everybody how to play beautiful football. When they go up against Spain or the other big teams I would like to see how they play.
I hope you get my point, I'm highlighting that uruguay and france need lessons on attackingg, and argentina attacked well, they just finished poorly, but they had more than a handful of 1 v 1 and out played their rival with class and mastery at all times. Thats hwo you play.
Yeah, but not being able to finish the chances takes away from it all. The only reason I said what I said was because you stated that Argentina would show everyone how to play football (as I've said before), and they couldn't finish.
And they left their goal in 0, so I don't see any major problems in defense, so calm your biased down.
Jesus, I'm not biased. I want Argentina to get to the finals, I like watching them play. Higuain is my fav forward, and I think they created chances well, they just couldn't finish well. To me, that's not showing the other teams how to play.

Also, this is probably the most important point. I WAS BUSTING YOUR BALLS panchester, I was just fu**ing around with you. I probably could have inserted some smilies to make it more clear, but honestly I was just messing with you. I want Argentina to do really well, and I think that if they had finished the chances it could have easily been 6-0.

But, not letting goals in vs. Nigeria says nothing about the defense. There were opportunities Nigeria had that better teams would have taken advantage of EASILY, so I believe you're the biased one here mate.

Anybody think Higuain will start again lol? (Also, yes, 1 shot per 20 goals is quite an astonishing feat lol)
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.

pzona

I think Higuain will start again, but maybe he'll play a half and get taken out or something. I've always liked him, but he really didn't do a whole lot today and Maradona had to notice that. Conversely, Messi didn't finish once and I doubt he'll be under half the scrutiny Higuain will be. Personally, I would write this one off and let Higuain play again, which I think is what Maradona will do, but it does raise some serious questions.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Higuain is an incredible talent, but it is his first taste on the big stage. I would write that game off as a 'hiccup', and let him play a full game next game, if possible. We can only decry him as being off-form with a minimum of three matches of evaluation.

Personally, I have no doubt he'll score next match.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Since I'm finally able to log on (idk if anyone else has had the problem) I'll just say what I thought about both games:

South Korea vs Greece:
1. South Korea played better than I expected. They aren't the biggest, fastest, or most skilled but they never give up. They're constantly putting pressure on the other team and I think they may make it out of the group.
2. Not to take anything away from south korea but Greece played awful. They made some chances but couldn't score and didn't really look like they were playing for the WC.

Argentina vs Nigeria
1. For all the offensive talent Argentina have I was not impressed at all and think unless they get their act together they'll make a round of 16 exit. They're defense isn't good at all, and having the best strikers doesn't mean anything if the team can't score. They completely controlled the game, but thats not enough IMO for a team like Argentina vs a team like Nigeria.
2. They did well for missing JOM, either them or south korea are going through I feel.

fawad000

pzona wrote: Messi didn't finish once and I doubt he'll be under half the scrutiny Higuain will be.
It's true that Messi did not finish once but he tried.Messi, alone at times wrecked the Nigerian defense. His shots took the best out of Nigerian goalie.Also, he did not miss sitters like Higuain did so there's a logical explanation as to why Messi won't be under as much scrutiny as Higuain would be.
I seriously doubt he would get 90 mins again considering the quality of strike force Argentina have at their disposal.

soccer11
Admin

I won't pile on Higuain as I already did so after that game against Lyon but I will say he needs to score a big goal or a goal on a big stage soon.
I'd really like to see Aguero play at some point. I was hoping he would've come in today but it wasn't meant to be I guess. I'm excited to see how he does in this world cup as I feel he'll largely factor in with the future of the Argentine attack. It'll be:
-----Messi
Higuain--Aguero
for a long time as they're all just 22.

2brown347
Veteran Member

soccer11 wrote:I won't pile on Higuain as I already did so after that game against Lyon but I will say he needs to score a big goal or a goal on a big stage soon.
I'd really like to see Aguero play at some point. I was hoping he would've come in today but it wasn't meant to be I guess. I'm excited to see how he does in this world cup as I feel he'll largely factor in with the future of the Argentine attack. It'll be:
-----Messi
Higuain--Aguero
for a long time as they're all just 22.
I agree, Argentina has 2 (possibly even 3) more world cups with those three players so why not start working on the partnership now.