Top Underdogs

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
fawad000

So everybody is talking about the big boys and who is going to win this wc and blah blah blah.
We have already seen teams like Croatia (1998), Turkey and South Korea(2002), Ukraine (2006) upsetting the odds and making history etc. I want to know which of lesser known teams can go farthest in the Wc 2010 in your opinion?

I will go with Greece and Denmark.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Mexico is my dark horse this WC. Other than that, my longshot teams might make it out of the group...but not any further.

scottS4
Veteran Member

slovenia are a team i think people will underestimate. i see them finishing 2nd in their group, ahead of the US. the only thing is they'll probably have to play germany in the round of 16.
also, i think nigeria and chile could impress.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Ireland

Oh wait...

panchester07
Veteran Member

Serbia with Zigic, Krasic, Vidic and any other mofo that ends with "ic". They are a good team that gets the result. See Russia, see Camerun lately :O
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

shahensha
Veteran Member

France!

wud up?

Ward9310

Mexico

soccer11
Admin

panchester07 wrote:Serbia with Zigic, Krasic, Vidic and any other mofo that ends with "ic". They are a good team that gets the result. See Russia, see Camerun lately :O
agreed. assuming they finish 2nd and England finishes first in their group, I can see Serbia beating England in the next round.

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

panchester07 wrote:Serbia with Zigic, Krasic, Vidic and any other mofo that ends with "ic". They are a good team that gets the result. See Russia, see Camerun lately :O
I agree man. Serbia is no joke this time around and I can see them upsetting some big names if they play well.

EDIT: Haha soccer11, you posted like 1 second right before me. Great minds think alike.

Pichichi

Uruguay. They will shock the world!

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Eh I think the USA are gonna surprise alot of us, even the Americans

Another underdog is Irelan... fu**

*Goes back to burning French and American flags*

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

NewBornProdigy wrote:Eh I think the USA are gonna surprise alot of us, even the Americans

Are you a Liverpool fan now?

soccer11
Admin

NewBornProdigy wrote:Eh I think the USA are gonna surprise alot of us, even the Americans

when did you become a liverpool fan :P

edit: damn you Croatian, again? haha

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Are you a Liverpool fan now?
No its just a fun thing to do

Ha S11 you got snubbed pretty bad there

pzona

Even after their opening game I ssee Mexico doing some great things later in the tournament (as much as it pains me to say it). They haven't had a team this good in at least ten years, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see them in the quarterfinals.

I also think Nigeria have some potential. Not only are they a top African team, but they're going to have a ton of support, which will really make a difference.

Aside from those two, I don't see any surprises. Denmark could be poised to make a run, but probably not past the round of 16. I was really impressed with Chile in qualifying, but then again I usually am. I would pick them to finish ahead of Switzerland, but unless North Korea wins group G, they're going down hard in the second round. Slovenia have a very impressive team, but I honestly don't see them beating USA. They'll be giving us quite a challenge for sure, but not beating us. I like Serbia in their group, but I don't really consider them underdogs to finish second, or even first. Obviously Germany and Ghana are missing some key players, but I would give Serbia a fair shot even if they were playing full strength opponents.