US Mens National Team Thread

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
FuturProo1996
Sophomore Member

Post by FuturProo1996 » 26 May 2010, 21:48

usa r deffinitly favurites 2 win da wurld cupp...spane germani n ingland dun gotta chance anymore...

haters gunna hate

but i gotta say usa aint gonna make it out the 3Rd round, but dey favorites to win n my eyez

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 26 May 2010, 22:56

klc123 wrote:Lol thanks for that link Panch, good find.

I'm not been funny, but saying the US believing they will win the world cup and that they are being modest in the same sentence is the biggest oxymoron I've heard in a long time.

England are third favourites, yet apart from the few England fans who are in the clouds every world cup, most are fully expecting us to have very very little chance of winning it.

Even Brazil and Spain would not be arrogant enough to say they can make a goal and believe that it will happen to win a specific world cup on a certain year. No team can do that. Anything can happen in a world cup, as stated before.

You can aim to do well in a world cup, and hope to do well, but to say you can set a goal like winning the world cup in a set amount of years time and believe that you will definitely win it is living in the clouds, I wouldn't even say the best teams in the world throughout history have ever said to themselves "we believe we will win the world cup" in a definite sense. Yes many have said they believe they can, and they hope they will, but saying you believe it will happen is a completely different kettle of fish.

Personally, unless many players randomly disappear from certain teams or get a fake identity and play for USA, USA has next to no chance of winning this world cup, and I say this genuinely, both England, Spain, Brazil, Argentina and Dutch are playing some of the best football they have in a very long time in my opinion, which is going to make it a very interesting world cup to watch, but it also means that its almost guaranteed that a "powerhouse" will win.
Did you and panchester even watch the video? It's not even really about winning the world cup. Lets just take a look at the video:

They say at one point "have the USA postioned..... to win the world cup in 2010". Thats not saying "the USA is going to win the WC in 2010" it was saying to have the national team at a point where they'll at least be able to compete in 2010. THEY DIDN'T SAY THEY'RE WINNING THE WORLD CUP

Even your first sentence:
I'm not been funny, but saying the US believing they will win the world cup and that they are being modest in the same sentence is the biggest oxymoron I've heard in a long time.
The part of the video you are referring to is him saying that our goal is to win the WC. Isn't every teams? If he had said "We have a case waiting for the trophy we're bringing home this summer" then I'd agree with what you said, but he didn't.

Then the whole middle part of the video is talking about how the project 2010 was basically just to show that we are serious about soccer in hopes of gaining more support and better athletes and the youth development programs they've started. They even say that they wouldn't need to be forming teams of the 40 best young players if they had 2000 players better situations.

Then the end of the video they talk about how the team showed in 2009 that they can compete with world powers (which was the goal in the first place), but that what happened in 2009 doesn't mean anything.

I'll admit some americans can be arogant about sports (just like people from every other nation), but looking for arogance where there isn't any is a waste of time. You can all try making mountains out of these mole hills but we'll just have to see what happens when we play england.

----------------------------------------------------

bsc, I'm very happy Ching and Klesidon'tgiveafrick didn't make it. Findley and Buddle making it is a good call but they're basically the same player.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 27 May 2010, 00:08

I won't fault you guys since you don't live in America but Landon Donovan and company have done multiple interviews here and said that them winning the world cup is highly unlikely.

Don't listen to anything Sunil Gulati and the rest of them have to say. They're idiots and are holding the US back. I'm not even going to watch that video. There's no point.

Edit: I decided to watch it after all and i've already seen this on ESPN a number of times. haha I agree with 2Brown. did you guys watch this? All this video is is about how the US has prepared for this world cup and NOT about us winning the world cup. It's good for a building team to have goals. No one said "we're going to win the world cup this summer." All that was said 14 years ago was, "let's put us in a position to where we can win the world cup."

peaked_n_blue
New User

Post by peaked_n_blue » 27 May 2010, 00:32

FuturProo1996 wrote:usa r deffinitly favurites 2 win da wurld cupp...spane germani n ingland dun gotta chance anymore...

haters gunna hate

but i gotta say usa aint gonna make it out the 3Rd round, but dey favorites to win n my eyez
No united Staets r gonna win caouse they bought Beckham and he gots the best kick in all football. oh no but he injured nvm idk who win then. maybe england cause they called back Carragher n he best defender in britain ovr last 10 yrs.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 27 May 2010, 02:21

It was actually that Suny Gulatil or whatever the one that I was mostly reffering to, he looks like he has little knowledge, and is either really dumb, or likes to lie without remorse to people. Its a good thing you guys have hope, just some people like to cross the belief and confidence line with arrogance, and thats annoying, specially in this game.

I've actually seen improvement in the USA myself over the year, more players playing in Europe, before it was all mls, even though their roles in European leagues aren't as important, its a step ahead of say 6 years back when like I said, most players where in the MLS.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 27 May 2010, 03:31

panchester07 wrote:It was actually that Suny Gulatil or whatever the one that I was mostly reffering to, he looks like he has little knowledge, and is either really dumb, or likes to lie without remorse to people. Its a good thing you guys have hope, just some people like to cross the belief and confidence line with arrogance, and thats annoying, specially in this game.
How's he lying? He's basically a businessman but I think you're just misinterpreting what he's saying to be honest.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 27 May 2010, 03:48

2brown347 wrote:
panchester07 wrote:It was actually that Suny Gulatil or whatever the one that I was mostly reffering to, he looks like he has little knowledge, and is either really dumb, or likes to lie without remorse to people. Its a good thing you guys have hope, just some people like to cross the belief and confidence line with arrogance, and thats annoying, specially in this game.
How's he lying? He's basically a businessman but I think you're just misinterpreting what he's saying to be honest.
Yeah, I'm think it's more of a positive mind-set than a realistic goal. I mean, who goes into a tournament thinking about when they'll lose or what round they get knocked out in? I think it's important that you're confident in your abilities ahead of such a big tournament, but the pressure isn't on the U.S. to perform like many other countries. Anything beyond the group stage makes it anyone's tournament from that point on.

2brown347
Veteran Member

Post by 2brown347 » 27 May 2010, 04:00

TommyGun wrote:
2brown347 wrote:
Yeah, I'm think it's more of a positive mind-set than a realistic goal. I mean, who goes into a tournament thinking about when they'll lose or what round they get knocked out in? I think it's important that you're confident in your abilities ahead of such a big tournament, but the pressure isn't on the U.S. to perform like many other countries. Anything beyond the group stage makes it anyone's tournament from that point on.
Thats a good point. For Spain, Argentina, Brazil, and England anything less than a win is a failure. Netherlands, Italy, Portugal, France, Germany, and Ivory Coast anything less then semi's is gonna be considered a failure. For the US if we make it past the first round we'll of met expectations and every round we advance to past that will be a success.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 27 May 2010, 04:08

hey panchester, is your facebook account "panchipaoli" ?

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 27 May 2010, 13:48

panchester07 wrote: I've actually seen improvement in the USA myself over the year, more players playing in Europe, before it was all mls, even though their roles in European leagues aren't as important, its a step ahead of say 6 years back when like I said, most players where in the MLS.
exactly. That was the point of Project 2010. It wasn't necessarily to win the world cup but rather be in a position to where we could contend for it and if you look at it that way, we've failed but looking at it in the grand scheme of things, we've succeeded in making soccer bigger and more popular and overall better since Project 2010 was put into place. That video wasn't to say that Americans are going to win the World Cup but rather to introduce people to Project 2010 because a lot of people hadn't heard of it before that.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 27 May 2010, 15:04

Now that the roster is set I'm excited about the last two games before the WC starts.

However, I think the bigget surprise is Robbie Findley. I'm not a Ching fan but I'd rather have him than Findley. Or have taken Bedoya since Dempsey can play up front. IMO from seeing him in RSL games he hasn't done enough but I hope he proves me wrong.

Now that the roster is out I think we will do a lot better. I'm expecting Donovan, Dempsey, Howard, Boca, etc to play on Saturday.

Also too look ahead to 2014, its never too early :D be on the lookout for Eric Lichaj of Aston Villa.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 27 May 2010, 18:02

Are you kidding? Given England's recent performance in big competitions, we'd be happy to make semi's, a world cup final would be magnificent for us.

I dunno, I watched the video and it just seems like (and don't take this the wrong way because I know a lot of Americans aren't ignorant) another ignorant American who knows very little about the sport let alone the tournament, and that he thinks winning the world cup is an goal that can be achieved through a set amount of funding and years training, it is not like that what so ever. Yes you can spend money to improve chances of winning the world cup, but ultimately, you could spend millions on training facilities and still go out in the group stage depending on how things go, because a world cup really is an anything can happen tournament.

Personally I think that if USA gets through the group stages they will be knocked out in the following round, if England get through the group stages then I would expect them to reach quarter-finals, any further would just be luck.

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 27 May 2010, 18:38

You just don't get it; wouldn't expect you to anyways.
Project 2010 wasn't just a bunch of "ignorant" Americans. Carlos Queiroz also played a role in project 2010. Would you say he knows little about the sport? Yes, the underlying goal was to be competitive at this world cup but the overall goal was to improve youth soccer here in America, which it has done with some of the programs that Project 2010 started.

Edit: we're not delusional. As I've said, our players have come out and said they're very much outsiders.
I think if we're lucky, we'll get passed the first knock out round which looks like it might be Germany who have their own problems. I think we've gotten to a point though where it's a disappointment if we don't get passed the group stage which is huge considering where we were 20 years ago.

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 27 May 2010, 19:20

:lol:

Don't try and to be condescending with me child.

Re-read my post and then maybe try and "just get it."

I never said project 2010 was an ignorant program.

I said thinking you can win the world cup if you spend enough money is arrogance and ignorant. Surely you know that, that goes for all football, especially world cup football.

In my view a goal and wanting to achieve things are two completely different things. A goal is something you can definitely achieve and will definitely achieve if you prescribe the correct training and improvement methods and then employ them. A hope of winning is having a chance and praying and doing your best to give you the best chance of that happening.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you really don't get me either do you? Irony. Only difference is I have enough respect to at least expect you to understand the concept. :roll:

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 27 May 2010, 19:40

You're from England correct? How would you get it? England has always had a steady stream of above average to really good players coming through so you guys never had to set up a program to improve youth improvement. That's what I meant by you not getting it.
America has the best overall athletes I feel and if there was a way to get more of our top athletes to play soccer it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that we could some day win a world cup. Look at Onewyu. He doesn't look like a soccer player. he looks more like a middle linebacker on an American football team. If a superior athlete like LeBron James or someone of the sort would've been given a soccer ball when they were young, there's no telling where we would be.