South Africa 2010 Groups..

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
klc123
Veteran Member

Holy sh*t.

1. Why did Manchester United release Forlan
2. Why have I never heard of this Suarez before? Sky sports are so sh*t at highlighting new talent lol, we hear nothing of the Dutch league over here.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

1) Because they signed Rooney. Case closed.

2) News to me too, and I haven't even heard a whimpering. What a shame. Hopefully the 2010 WC is a coming out party for him as an individual.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Holy sh*t! Where the fu** did this Suarez guy come from and why have we not heard about him before!

Kasaki
Veteran Member

Maybe u guys need to broaden ur horizons cause he's pretty old news to me lol, u guys heard of lukaku ? beligian forward who is a straight animal

Magicfeet

The Dutch league has always had phenomenal goalscorers who have failed to make their mark on other leagues. Kezman, anyone? In his final 2 seasons in Holland he played 62 league games and scored 66 goals. Came to Chelsea and scored 8 goals in 50 league games over two seasons.

Heck, Dirk Kuyt scored 20+ goals a season when he was in Holland (though he was playing in a more central role than he does nowadays, granted).

It's extremely difficult to judge how good a goalscorer is when they're playing on Holland. Van Nistelrooy was class (as many others have been), but most of the "top dogs" who go abroad fail to replicate their form.

I always liked Forlan when he was at United, but it never really clicked with him here. He rarely showed how good he could be.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Forlan really began to flourish in Spain, winning the pichichi for scoring the most goals in a season quite a few times. After watching him showcase his talents for Atletico Madrid in the past few seasons, I would say he is one of the best counter attacking finisher in the whole world.
Last edited by shahensha on 08 May 2010, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Yeah Suarez is oldschool to me too, I've made some previous posts about him, but I just mentioned him and maybe thats why you guys didin't catch it...

Magicfeet:
Ronaldo9 shined in Holland with Psv, he also had a phenomenal goal scoring average, and he continued to shine all over the world.. With similar stats

Romario, also shone in the Eredevise, and he continued to do it all over the world, and won the World Cup 1994 with Brazil, after dominating in Holland.

20+ goals of Kuyt, isn't the samething that 47 goals in 46 games of Luis Suarez, which is outstanding to say the least, I've been following this cat since he played in Uruguay, and granted he wont score that many goals in the World Cup, the man will be a huge threat, and I bet he scores atleast 3-4 goals atleast... The man is just SICK..

About Forlan,he's too South American to fit in England, short, classy, good touch,, not as physical, thats why you never saw him do the things he did with Villareal, or Atletico de Madrid, a similar thing would happen if Messi where to transfer to the UK, or a player Like Di Maria, etc .. Not only did he get roughed off the ball a lot, and didn't play to his potential, many South American players don't even like English football style, I think it was a combo of both...

Uruguay was a province of Argentina for a long time, they have the exact same culture, tradition, accent, likes, and dislikes, Uruguay could pretty much produce top world talents and players of the year, Ballon d'or winners, but they only have a population of 3 million..
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Magicfeet

panchester07 wrote:Magicfeet:
Ronaldo9 shined in Holland with Psv, he also had a phenomenal goal scoring average, and he continued to shine all over the world.. With similar stats

Romario, also shone in the Eredevise, and he continued to do it all over the world, and won the World Cup 1994 with Brazil, after dominating in Holland.
I do wonder if you actually finish reading posts before replying, Panchester.

I said there are notable exceptions, such as Van Nistelrooy. The fact is that great players score a lot of goals in Holland. But there are a lot of not-so-great players who score a lot of goals in Holland.

My point with Kuyt is that he is regarded to be a fairly average striker in terms of goal scoring, but managed to net 20 or more in three successive seasons in Holland. Kezman scored a fantastic amount of goals, but didn't come close to matching these feats in the Premier League.

This guy might be a phenomenal player... but I'm just saying that scoring a shedload in the Dutch league doesn't mean he's world class.

3-4 goals at least? I'd make a pretty big wager he won't score 5+.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Oh pardon me mate, I'm watching Madrid - Bilbao, and Sevilla - Barca at the same time ...

But I think I replied to most of your points, in a fair manner..

I said atleast 3-4 cause in spite of having quality strikers, and good players all round, Uruguay isn't quarter final material imo.. They are definetly playing 3 matches, which are gonna be hard, and I would say a 4th in the knockout rounds, I trust he'll get a goal per match, or maybe 2 goals in 1 match and then chill and not score on the next one.. He'll score on South Africa thats for sure,vs Mexico he could get one, but France is gonna be tougher with their defense.

ratherton
Veteran Member

The Dutch league is a joke.

Middlesboro had that bloke Alfonso Alves (or something). Paid £12m for him and he'd scored a goal a game in Holland. I've seen better players in the Sunday leagues.

And the strongest evidence of all, a team managed by Steve McLaren has just won the Dutch League.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Nice, he still is a quality striker though, and he has a phenomenal record.. Transfer him to English/Spanish/Italian league, that will happen cause big teams want him, and he'll score 20-25 goals per season... More than good striker anyway..

If Kuyt scored 20 goals per league in holland, and now scores 10 per league in England..

Then this "bloke" Luis Suarez that scores 35 goals per league then he'll score what, 17-20 goals? Still WAY above average striker that would end up around Drogba, Rooney, Anelka, Defoe at the end of each season..

Also, Kezman and Kuyt transfered to the English league... Its never a fair comparison, dozens and dozens of players transfer leagues to find their performance to decrease.. Zlatan, Kaka, E'too, are all players at the top of my head that swith team and score 15 goals less per season... On the other hand Robben, swithched to the Bundesliga and destroyed...

My point, maybe Suarez would score 5 goals per league in say a Tottenham, Manchester City level team, but maybe you transfer him to Roma, Sampdoria, and he scores 30 goals per league...... Its not a rule of thumb...

But most of the time yeah, Holland teams get knocked out in the first round of the champions league, and the usually aren't as high in level as the other leagues... Excellent talent producer though..

So idk, all I know he has ridiculous stats, and I don't think its fair(if its the case) that he is devoided from being considered an exellent striker just because the guy plays in holland.. Most likely the numbers wouldn't be as abrupt as they are (47 goals in 46 matches), but they would still be excellent numbers... A good striker in a good league scores around 10-15 goals less than matches played, I'm sure that he could do this, for he's doing it now. Just cause he plays in Netherlands doesn't mean he isn't one of the best at the moment.

Magicfeet

Nobody is saying this guy isn't a good striker - We're just saying that scoring a lot of goals in the Dutch league doesn't really mean that much in top level football. Also, your assertion that he's going to score 5+ goals in the WC is laughable.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Imma go ahead and put this out there, and feel free to tell me I'm wrong since I know you will anyway.

Scoring goals in any league that's not the premier league doesn't mean much.

Magicfeet

Yeah... I don't agree with that. :)

Hugh
Veteran Member

The reason I say that is that other leagues are simply not as physical and the defense is not as tough so when these strikers go up against international defenses they're playing a defensive style that they've never had to deal with before and they inevitably fold.

Therefore if you can't score in the EPL you can't score.