Offical South Africa 2009 Confederations Cup Thread

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world

Who will win the 2009 Confederations Cup?

Poll ended at 28 Jun 2009, 19:55

South Africa
3%
Iraq
3%
New Zealand
No votes
Spain
44%
Italy
3%
Brazil
21%
United States
24%
Egypt
3%

Total votes: 34

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

adnankhan wrote:
flyhigh19 wrote:Whoa whoa, did someone just say the USA doesn't dominate in basketball? And that Spain does? Are you serious? Did you really just make that statement? The United States won gold at the Olympics with an average team. Many superstars chose not to take part such as Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett. When you have players like Tayshaun Prince and Michael Redd on the roster, it's definitely not the best team that the United States can come up with. If the United States picked out the top 15 players in the NBA that are American, nothing would even be close. Spain would have been absolutely blown out. I doubt Spain will ever come up with a Lebron James or Kobe Bryant.

In my opinion, the United States comes up with the greatest overall athletes in the world. It's just that the majority of them play basketball or football. If you look at the wide receivers, corner backs, safeties, running backs (some) in the NFL and the majority of the players in the NBA, I'm pretty sure no one else in the world can compete with them in overall athleticism (strength, power, vertical, speed, etc.) I don't think any other country in the world can come up with super athletes like Lebron James.

And as for education, are you talking about primary or secondary? Cause if you want to talk about overall, I'm pretty sure at least 7 of the top 10 universities in the world are in the United States. I'm also pretty sure no other university in the world can boast the same reputation and prestige as Princeton or Harvard.
see one thing ...there is not as much scope in other country as in america.....every body in the world knows lebron james and kobe bryant because of media....MEDIA is very good in america..and the whole world watches american media..and there might be really talanted soccer players or basketball players in the world who is better than them,,.people from other country comes to america for the opportunity and yet america is known for land of opportunity..foreings comes and they end up better than the real american....and from the origin rathers call the Americans europeans.. i kinda sound stupid.. and i dont agree that americans have the best athletics(they should be but they are not.)
How doesn't the US have the best athletics???? We won the gold medal count at Bejing...and we have consistently proved over the years that we can dominate any sport (excluding soccer).

TO ADNANKHAN:
Who do you think has the best athletics in the world...?
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

Kasaki
Veteran Member

casar22 wrote:
flyhigh19 wrote:Whoa whoa, did someone just say the USA doesn't dominate in basketball? And that Spain does? Are you serious? Did you really just make that statement? The United States won gold at the Olympics with an average team. Many superstars chose not to take part such as Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett. When you have players like Tayshaun Prince and Michael Redd on the roster, it's definitely not the best team that the United States can come up with. If the United States picked out the top 15 players in the NBA that are American, nothing would even be close. Spain would have been absolutely blown out. I doubt Spain will ever come up with a Lebron James or Kobe Bryant.

In my opinion, the United States comes up with the greatest overall athletes in the world. It's just that the majority of them play basketball or football. If you look at the wide receivers, corner backs, safeties, running backs (some) in the NFL and the majority of the players in the NBA, I'm pretty sure no one else in the world can compete with them in overall athleticism (strength, power, vertical, speed, etc.) I don't think any other country in the world can come up with super athletes like Lebron James.

And as for education, are you talking about primary or secondary? Cause if you want to talk about overall, I'm pretty sure at least 7 of the top 10 universities in the world are in the United States. I'm also pretty sure no other university in the world can boast the same reputation and prestige as Princeton or Harvard.
Lol be humble man we all know Spain is not as good as the US in basketball but please man, we're not as bad as China and Germany and by the way, we might not ever have players like Kobe or LeBron but we have Ricky Rubio and he's gonna become a better player than CP3, KIDD, BIBBY etc
*cough* btw rubio is going to the timberwolves, much better basketball here *cough*

Nat_H
Veteran Member

soccer11 wrote:I again didn't see the game due to work, but oh well, I heard. I was pretty close to being seen as a bigger genius than I am :P I'll watch the game when it's on replay.

oh, and we were being told by a guy from Denmark that we suck? Oh . . .
Espn360.com...free with verizon internet service (and others i guess).

flyhigh19
Veteran Member

It doesn't matter that Rubio is going to a bad team. The quality of play in the NBA is better than any other league in the world (by far). The reason why he is considering on not joining the NBA immediately is because he might not be ready to make the jump (due to the high NBA standards). I'm also sure the current Timberwolves team could take on any European team and beat them. And also most European teams rosters have NBA rejects (people who didn't make it) such as Allan Ray. And those players are generally the best players on the team. The only players that are NBA caliber that play in European leagues left for the ridiculous amount of money that was given to them such as Josh Childress. Childress is possibly one of the most mediocre players in the league, but yet European teams are giving him 10-15 million dollars a year (ridiculous). There is a reason why no superstars or any good player have left. The fact is that the NBA is the dream for any basketball player. The top teams in the NBA change every 5-10 years as well. 5 years ago the Timberwolves were one of the best teams in the league and the Cavs were one of the worst teams in the league. Rubio will have his opportunity to shine.

And as for media giving the American athletes more coverage and that better athletes might not be found of covered? I find it hard to believes that athletes that have the caliber of being the the best are simply not given media coverage. An example would be Ricky Rubio. Many people think that he has the potential to be great and he's the talk of the draft.

And I do kind of agree about your foreign statement. But that is what makes America so great. It is the most diverse country in the world. In my opinion, the diversity is the reason why America is the best at so many things.

adnankhan
Veteran Member

MUFC1994 wrote:
adnankhan wrote:

see one thing ...there is not as much scope in other country as in america.....every body in the world knows lebron james and kobe bryant because of media....MEDIA is very good in america..and the whole world watches american media..and there might be really talanted soccer players or basketball players in the world who is better than them,,.people from other country comes to america for the opportunity and yet america is known for land of opportunity..foreings comes and they end up better than the real american....and from the origin rathers call the Americans europeans.. i kinda sound stupid.. and i dont agree that americans have the best athletics(they should be but they are not.)
How doesn't the US have the best athletics???? We won the gold medal count at Bejing...and we have consistently proved over the years that we can dominate any sport (excluding soccer).

TO ADNANKHAN:
Who do you think has the best athletics in the world...?
i wouldnt say only americans....people are made equal....it really depends how they trains....so it would most likely to be diverse...

adnankhan
Veteran Member

btw....i stop talking in this topic...i m having a feeling i am kinda getting racial...sorry for offended any body..

KoNJa04
Veteran Member

Pichichi wrote:Konja the USA will never be great until the play great. Winning isn't everything. The USA time and time again will waste amazing opportunities that a 'great' team would take advantage of. Not to mention they don't know what to do in the attacking third. I don't know who you think the USA is as great as, but we're not the prettiest team to watch and that has to change. Don't get me wrong I love USA winning and all, but the game is so easy to play and the USA, like many teams, makes it difficult and a sore to watch at times.
Im just saying this past success has really made me think a bit different with them, i used to think they couldn't even compete, but now they seem different, like a decent team they should be mentioned now and again..

If you desire that life then pursuit it.. end of story.. no buts, no hypothetical situations, no what ifs.. you want something go get it ..
~~Panchester07

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

KoNJa04 wrote:
Pichichi wrote:Konja the USA will never be great until the play great. Winning isn't everything. The USA time and time again will waste amazing opportunities that a 'great' team would take advantage of. Not to mention they don't know what to do in the attacking third. I don't know who you think the USA is as great as, but we're not the prettiest team to watch and that has to change. Don't get me wrong I love USA winning and all, but the game is so easy to play and the USA, like many teams, makes it difficult and a sore to watch at times.
Im just saying this past success has really made me think a bit different with them, i used to think they couldn't even compete, but now they seem different, like a decent team they should be mentioned now and again..
Yeah, I agree that they really made a better name for themselves. No one's saying that they are going to win the next WC or anything but I feel like we can have a good run against some quality teams. I believe now that on the right day, right circumstances, we can beat anyone. A feeling I never had before. I'm not saying we're the best, I'm just saying that I've been given some hope and am very proud.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Our Confederations Cup run def. turned some heads and got us some respect but lets not get ahead of ourselves. No one needs to be screaming from the roof tops just yet. I think this tournament really showed how far we have come as a national team. I think we can go into the WC a lot more prepared and with more confidence than 06. We've proven we can hang with the big teams and score goals against them.

Not to mention we've finally found players that gel. We have a great RB (finally!) in Spector, Benny did a good job when called upon, and though its still in the early stages Jozy and CD seem to be forming a good partnership for the future, and who can leave out Clint and his never say die attitude.

bsc
Veteran Member

my question is who takes the spot in the midfield with Bradley?
is it gonna be Ricardo clark or Morice Edu. I'd usually go with Edu, but clark has been fantastic for the confeds cup and he's working with bradley brilliantly. I think I'd still go with Mo Edu though. It's close.
Image Image
And the dreams that you dare to dream, really do come true

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

arsenalfc08 wrote:Our Confederations Cup run def. turned some heads and got us some respect but lets not get ahead of ourselves. No one needs to be screaming from the roof tops just yet. I think this tournament really showed how far we have come as a national team. I think we can go into the WC a lot more prepared and with more confidence than 06. We've proven we can hang with the big teams and score goals against them.
Hate to break it to you but it hasnt really turned heads around the world. The USA are still regarded as a very mediocre nation.

All the confederations cup has proven is that Italy wont win the world cup next year and that Brazil and Spain are more than beatable.

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

BGbeast23
Veteran Member

ScottyBoy wrote:
arsenalfc08 wrote:Our Confederations Cup run def. turned some heads and got us some respect but lets not get ahead of ourselves. No one needs to be screaming from the roof tops just yet. I think this tournament really showed how far we have come as a national team. I think we can go into the WC a lot more prepared and with more confidence than 06. We've proven we can hang with the big teams and score goals against them.
Hate to break it to you but it hasnt really turned heads around the world. The USA are still regarded as a very mediocre nation.

All the confederations cup has proven is that Italy wont win the world cup next year and that Brazil and Spain are more than beatable.
Yeah, I agree. I'm just happy that now more people in America actually consider soccer a legitimate sport and that we've gained some fans/interest/recognition from 'the rest of America'.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

BGbeast23 wrote:
ScottyBoy wrote:

Yeah, I agree. I'm just happy that now more people in America actually consider soccer a legitimate sport and that we've gained some fans/interest/recognition from 'the rest of America'.
We turned some heads in that no one expected us to get to the final. As I said later lets not get ahead of ourselves.

We made strides in the USA. They actually talked about soccer on Sports Center and Colbert did a pretty funny piece about it and had Lalas on the show.

It was pretty funny http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... .html#more

"Grenada? We took care of them back in 1983!"

John_Bob
Veteran Member

arsenalfc08 wrote:
BGbeast23 wrote:
ScottyBoy wrote: Hate to break it to you but it hasnt really turned heads around the world. The USA are still regarded as a very mediocre nation.

We turned some heads in that no one expected us to get to the final. As I said later lets not get ahead of ourselves.

We made strides in the USA. They actually talked about soccer on Sports Center and Colbert did a pretty funny piece about it and had Lalas on the show.

It was pretty funny http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_i ... .html#more

"Grenada? We took care of them back in 1983!"
If Colbert can be converted to a soccer fan than any American can. That was some funny stuff. I love Colbert.

soccer11
Admin

bsc wrote:my question is who takes the spot in the midfield with Bradley?
is it gonna be Ricardo clark or Morice Edu. I'd usually go with Edu, but clark has been fantastic for the confeds cup and he's working with bradley brilliantly. I think I'd still go with Mo Edu though. It's close.
I want to see what Jermaine Jones can do. If he'll be as good as I think he will be, I'll be very happy. It very well might be Bradley and Jones in the middle.