Offical South Africa 2009 Confederations Cup Thread

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world

Who will win the 2009 Confederations Cup?

Poll ended at 28 Jun 2009, 19:55

South Africa
3%
Iraq
3%
New Zealand
No votes
Spain
44%
Italy
3%
Brazil
21%
United States
24%
Egypt
3%

Total votes: 34

soccer11
Admin

haha no, if adnakhan wants to generalize and say we suck at soccer and everything else, then i'll generalize and say spain can't clear the ball.

truesocceroo
Veteran Member

The USA played a very good game to beat Spain, i was 100% sure Spain would win and had not even considered the USA, just goes to show how amazing and rare the underdog win is, hats off to them.

The USA will have to have confidence from this, because technically if they can beat no.1 they can beat anyone, but i have to say I think Brazil can beat them, Brazil are better physically than Spain, and the USA play a very strong physical style as you can see by the cards. Brazil is just that kind of team which when they show up, there is really no way to stop them, but if they dont, there is no reason the USA cant win it.

shahensha
Veteran Member

haha so much for bragging about spain's undefeated streak.

It was a major difference in football styles between the two nations. English had a no non sense approach to football, wasting absolutely no time in going straight for the kill. They played 1-2s and made one touch passes (not just short, long too) but the most entertaining part was that they did it with blinding speed. I reiterate, blinding.

They are very aggressive and fast when it comes to defending. They quickly rushed down any attacker with the ball. Hell they looked like rapid homing missles triggered to find infrared heat.

This was no where near the spain that won the euro last year. There was possession, but it was not fluid at all. It wasnt the proper passing game that makes Spain so famous. The ball was lost way to many times too, especially by Riera and Torres.

Del Bosque still believes he is coaching madrid, opting for superstars instead of the appropriate talent. Too much English influence is partly to blame. All english league spaniards had a below average performance.

Alonso was an exception for he had a noteworthy performance, with excellent passes and threatening strikes on goal.

The Euro Spain had all creative midfielders. The starting 11 only had one english league player and he didnt really perform that well in the tournament, apart from the goal in the final.

Xavi had a good game with pitch perfect passing. He usually has an outlet in Iniesta because they have that Cantera connection. I was expecting that from Fabregas but barely saw him linking up with Xavi.

I really dont understand how Riera was chosen over Mata or Fabregas over Cazorla. I completely refuse to believe Riera is close to being as good as Mata. Sure Fabregas is good, whatever, but he is not as mature and experienced as Cazorla. Mata and Cazorla actually had a very good season. I'd like to think Fabregas could be the next xavi, but he doesnt know when to make the right pass. That timing should come with uh time.

Spain's strength lies in a midfield that consists of creative players. I believe it could have been a different Spain had Del Bosque used the creative talents of Cazorla and Mata instead of going for the popular ones.

Only Puyol, Xavi, Alonso and Villa deserve to walk with their heads held high.

Still got to give credit to USA. I found their style of football entertaining. I saw a couple of bicycle kicks too. They made good use of speed, aggression and determination to trump the champions.

In the end, God decided it would be more exciting if a nation that breathes, eats and sleeps football plays against a nation that does not give a damn about the sport for the championship.

Although the physical approach worked against Spain, it will be useless against Brazil. The south americans bring a unique combination of technique and atheleticism.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

I thought Fabregas was immense for spain? anyone agree?

casar22
Veteran Member

NewBornProdigy wrote:I thought Fabregas was immense for spain? anyone agree?
Well he started as a right mid and i dont think he's any good at that position. I think Santi Cazorla should've started in there.

Bienvenido Cristiano Ronaldo!

NewBornProdigy
Admin

casar22 wrote:
Well he started as a right mid and i dont think he's any good at that position. I think Santi Cazorla should've started in there.
:shock: You W*&%$( :x
Never relate those words to him :D

I though he played well when he came in the centre and did those amazing little chips over the defence, his passing got most of the spainish oppourtunities, your right all the same, RM doesn't suit him

But he was playing the best out of the whole Spanish team, him and Alonso

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

NewBornProdigy wrote:
casar22 wrote:
:shock: You W*&%$( :x
Never relate those words to him :D

I though he played well when he came in the centre and did those amazing little chips over the defence, his passing got most of the spainish oppourtunities, your right all the same, RM doesn't suit him

But he was playing the best out of the whole Spanish team, him and Alonso
Fabregas's chip to xavi was really nice....he played really well.....

I aldo thought Villa caused a lot of problems for the US

IMO Tim Howard was Man of the Match....some sick saves
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

30 mintes into the SA- Brazil game....

still 0-0

But South Africa is dominating, and they are playing with a little Brazilian flair....

USA-South Africa Anyone????
"The road to athletic greatness is not marked by perfection but the ability to constantly overcome adversity and failure."

casar22
Veteran Member

MUFC1994 wrote:30 mintes into the SA- Brazil game....

still 0-0

But South Africa is dominating, and they are playing with a little Brazilian flair....

USA-South Africa Anyone????
I wouldn't be surprised if that happened, I mean look at what happened yesterday everything is possible in soccer

evolutionr91

DANI ALVES 88th minute free kick goal!

I have no idea why dunga does not start alves... as soon as he came on the team started playing better and within minutes of getting subbed in he scores the winning goal off a free kick.

BRASIL vs USA final :D

MUFC1994
Veteran Member

I think the US can beat Brazil, as long as they don't concede an early goal which they have had trouble doing lately, and they can't push to many people foward because Brazil is so good at counter attacking....we need to just keep our form and play like we did against spain...easier said than done

casar22
Veteran Member

MUFC1994 wrote:I think the US can beat Brazil, as long as they don't concede an early goal which they have had trouble doing lately, and they can't push to many people foward because Brazil is so good at counter attacking....we need to just keep our form and play like we did against spain...easier said than done
If brazil play like they did today I'm 1909% sure that they will win

mrbeankid22

casar22 wrote:
MUFC1994 wrote:I think the US can beat Brazil, as long as they don't concede an early goal which they have had trouble doing lately, and they can't push to many people foward because Brazil is so good at counter attacking....we need to just keep our form and play like we did against spain...easier said than done
Sarcasm? Brazil were no where near their best today...

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

casar22 wrote:
That's also what everyone said about Spain.

KoNJa04
Veteran Member

Soccer4Life wrote:
casar22 wrote:
That's also what everyone said about Spain.
agreed
if brazil was in top form like vs. italy they would have easily won that game, but no they had to pull it out at the 88th minute. same with the Eygpt game... they cant just play amazing one game and bad the next. they gotta be consistant

If you desire that life then pursuit it.. end of story.. no buts, no hypothetical situations, no what ifs.. you want something go get it ..
~~Panchester07