Offical South Africa 2009 Confederations Cup Thread

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world

Who will win the 2009 Confederations Cup?

Poll ended at 28 Jun 2009, 19:55

South Africa
3%
Iraq
3%
New Zealand
No votes
Spain
44%
Italy
3%
Brazil
21%
United States
24%
Egypt
3%

Total votes: 34

soccer11
Admin

US game is about to start. Again, no Torres. I want to see him play. How are we supposed to expect players to choose the US if when we finally get one to choose us, and we don't play them?

shahensha
Veteran Member

Wow Brazil just murked italy on the counter. Yeah I wouldnt really want to mess with a trio of Kaka, Robinho and Fabiano

Fabiano could have scored a hat-trick but dossena scored the third for him. Robinho decided to celebrate instead.

But then Kaka just jumped on his back and gestured an L with his fingers to the camera. I started laughing thinking "haha he is taunting the italian losers like a mean kid on the playground".......then Robinho made a heart and I realized L was for love, which makes sense cause Kaka loves Jesus and Jesus was all about love and peace.......which I can forgive, but Robinho making the heart sign is just fruity.

Who cares though, we can possibly have a Spain vs Brazil final. I dont really see USA posing a threat to Spain and forget South africa.

The pioneers of "beautiful football" vs the team that actually puts that concept into practice. Imagine that. :D
Last edited by shahensha on 21 Jun 2009, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.

soccer11
Admin

The US just moved on. While my pre-tournament selection was right, I'm still extremely surprised. I don't know how this happened. It's like all the stars aligned on that night and everything went the US' way.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Really surprised the US got through but happy to see. We played well today. Nice to see Baby score on Fathers day and Dempsey. Harksy was really ragging Dempsey and then he scored. He looked a lot better once he moved upfield. Good for Dempsey to score on Fathers day as well being a new father and all.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

US?!!!!!! LOL who would've thought of that. My Egyptian friend before was like "yoo, italy beat US 3-1, and we beat italy 1-0, so we'll beat US like 4-0". sucks for him LOL

as for Villa, he's a lethal finisher, but I think he's a bit lacking in every other department.

and I'm surprised to see how badly Italy was outclassed by Brazil.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

soccer11 wrote:The US just moved on. While my pre-tournament selection was right, I'm still extremely surprised. I don't know how this happened. It's like all the stars aligned on that night and everything went the US' way.
Looks like all your positive vibes weren't said in vain... I'll forgive you if your make a big post saying SCREW ALL YOU DOUBTERS!

But... seriously wtf, The U.S. getting through really has me wondering have i been drinking
What an abouslutely crazy group... wow

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

I kinda feel bad for Adu. He hasn't gotten any pt. He had a horrible club season. On loan to Monaco and spent 98% of his time in the stands and now it looks like he could be leaving Benfica. Can't even get a game for the USA. Curse of being hyped/turning pro too soon?

NewBornProdigy
Admin

arsenalfc08 wrote:I kinda feel bad for Adu. He hasn't gotten any pt. He had a horrible club season. On loan to Monaco and spent 98% of his time in the stands and now it looks like he could be leaving Benfica. Can't even get a game for the USA. Curse of being hyped/turning pro too soon?
Yeah thats true, I don't pay paticular attetion to him, but I have noticed he has basically vanished from the limelight, it has me wondering was he even that good?

On a happier note, Altidore seems like hes developing into a hot prospect, he reminds me of a combonation of Heskey and Drogba

soccer11
Admin

If the US plays without fear and with full of confidence, they can stay with just about anyone.
The problem with the Brazil game is they were timid and were afraid of what they could do.
Against Italy, if it wasn't for a few immaculate strikes, it would've been completely different.

Spain will be different though. They're too good. It'll take something very special.

Kakasgotskillz
Veteran Member

Altidore is a very hot and cold player. At times he'll disappear for games, and suddenly spark up randomly.

The US are a physically adept team, something Spain hasn't really seen in a while (except maybe first half against South Africa). I'm guessing US will close it up, and then push for it all out near the end. As long as they're not shaky they have a chance. As slim as it may be.

shahensha
Veteran Member

Kakasgotskillz wrote: The US are a physically adept team, something Spain hasn't really seen in a while (except maybe first half against South Africa). .
England? Dont tell me the english are more famous for their technique.

soccer11
Admin

this is the conclusion I've come up with a couple months back and it seems true. CONCACAF is more than likely the worst region in the world. You can make an argument for Oceania, which they probably are, but that's because Australia isn't there anymore (which still doesn't make sense to me) and there isn't really that dominant team in that region. But look at some of the teams in CONCACAF. Barbados, Antigua, Bermuda, Netherlands Antilles, Anguilla, and the list goes on. If you would take the US and Mexico out of there, what do you really have? I think that's why the US is where it's at. We play teams like that.

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

soccer11 wrote:this is the conclusion I've come up with a couple months back and it seems true. CONCACAF is more than likely the worst region in the world. You can make an argument for Oceania, which they probably are, but that's because Australia isn't there anymore (which still doesn't make sense to me) and there isn't really that dominant team in that region. But look at some of the teams in CONCACAF. Barbados, Antigua, Bermuda, Netherlands Antilles, Anguilla, and the list goes on. If you would take the US and Mexico out of there, what do you really have? I think that's why the US is where it's at. We play teams like that.
Your not the first to think this. We are pretty much the dominant team. Mexico hasn't done well this campaign,very sketchy. We've had our hiccups too but were usually pretty consistant. Look at last year when he played Barbados, didn't we score 6-7 goals? No wonder we always try and get friendlies with major national teams, we need real competition. We will never grow as a national team if we keep playing teams from this region. Of course then there are days when your beat by Costa Rica.......But still us or Mexico are always going to be favored and will most likely win the qualifying group to advance.

soccer11
Admin

I've thought this for a while but after this tournament (and going on the CONCACAF website and looking at the teams) I realized how bad it is. I don't think the US will ever be a dominant team, and for this reason. Look at all the really good, dominating teams in the world. Are there any outside of Europe and South America? No and that's because they're always challenging themselves against other really good teams. Sure, there are some pretty good teams in Africa and Asia but if we were to go and name the very good or great teams, they would all be from S. America and Europe. It's just the way it is and I think it would take a whole culture change to change our current situation.

truesocceroo
Veteran Member

Asia isnt too good either, they have one or two good teams but they still arent as good and never will be as good as any European or South American team. I think that Europe and South America will continue to dominate, however African teams have a real chance, they have the potential to establish themselves, they are technically good enough and physically too.