New Type of Shootout to End a Draw

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
DouDou

I was playing yesterday a pick-up game (5 vs 5) outdoor, after the 3 hours of play the game was tied 5-5 with no team scoring, we decided to have a shoot-out to end the draw, except we decided that the shots will be taken from the 18 yard line instead of the penalty spot. This puts little more pressure on the kicker and gives the keeper a better chance at saving the ball. My shot ended on the crossbar...

I think this might a be a good alternative to end a draw instead of the penalty shoot out, it keeps a better balance of control between the keeper and the kicker.

barcahooligan
Veteran Member

i kinda like that idea, puts equal pressure on both player and keeper.............a few of my buddies and i were talkin about how we thought that the way penalties are set up kinda suck, we liked the hockey way, dribble(skate) up and take a shot 1v1, also puts on equal pressure.
sig by 2brown347

NewBornProdigy
Admin

we liked the hockey way, dribble(skate) up and take a shot 1v1, also puts on equal pressure.
Well theres a name for that in footie its called the Italian penalties (dunno why) its like fun game to play

But consider the name of a penalty... its a punishment, it ain't for giving the keeper an equal chance, its a definite way of deciding things
If someones fouled they get a straightforward distinct chance to score and if they miss they probably wouldn't have scored the chance from open play, and they probably didn't deserve the goal

In a penalty shoot-out, its very phsycologically stressful for a player and that nearly out-weights the fact that its only 10 metres out

Its a definete way of deciding that:
-The good and deserving players will score
-The team that is good enough will win
-The winner is the one who puts the ball into the net in the simplest terms

fawad000

There are some professional players who even miss from penalty spot(usually) and you expect them to shoot from 18 yards. :shock: ,i don't think it is a nice idea,this will certainly give an edge to the keeper.Moreover,penalty taker would think more about power than accuracy. :cry:

mint
EF Drug Baron

i agree with nbp, its supposed to be a punishment for the keeper because his team commited the foul and if they were taken at edge of the 18 yard box it would just be a freekick and it wouldn't be as exciting imo.

you have to admit penalty shootouts get the crowd going.
i was made to ignite

DouDou

NewBornProdigy wrote:
we liked the hockey way, dribble(skate) up and take a shot 1v1, also puts on equal pressure.
Well theres a name for that in footie its called the Italian penalties (dunno why) its like fun game to play

But consider the name of a penalty... its a punishment, it ain't for giving the keeper an equal chance, its a definite way of deciding things
If someones fouled they get a straightforward distinct chance to score and if they miss they probably wouldn't have scored the chance from open play, and they probably didn't deserve the goal

In a penalty shoot-out, its very phsycologically stressful for a player and that nearly out-weights the fact that its only 10 metres out

Its a definete way of deciding that:
-The good and deserving players will score
-The team that is good enough will win
-The winner is the one who puts the ball into the net in the simplest terms
I never said they should change the penalty rule, if a player is brought down in the box during the game, the team would still get a PK from 12 yards, what I said was to replace the penalty shootout with a new type of shootout from 18 yards:
because in the regular PK shootout there is a higher expectation for the player to score than for the goalie to save the ball, but from 18 yardsthe expectations are about equal so it would more goalie saving skill vs player shooting skill.

Anymi
Veteran Member

Sometimes, even if it seems unfair. The way they do i now is very good I think. Changing it could stuff the game.

bom1221

mayb a little closer

heiky0711

Soon there won't be a draw in matches instead win or lose.

My Latest Football Vlog: https://youtu.be/AAmtqY6kjFM
Subscribe my YT channel: http://bit.do/theheiky11
My blog http://soccer-tricks.blogspot.com