2018-Israel and Palestine?????

Forum about the biggest sporting event in the world
ratherton
Veteran Member

I'd never heard of the "Greater Middle East" so I thought I'd look it up.

What a load of shite !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Middle_East

I'm sure as members of the EU, Greece and Cyprus are delighted to be grouped in with some of those other countries especially as they are neither Muslim or Arab countries.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Hey look, I didn't make up the definition. And last time I looked, no one specifically defined 'Middle East' as having to be 'Muslim' or 'Arab'.

As for the actual subject under discussion... Nawh, I can't see it working. Far too much bad blood and tensions that would arise, among other things.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Rome_Leader wrote:Hey look, I didn't make up the definition. And last time I looked, no one specifically defined 'Middle East' as having to be 'Muslim' or 'Arab'.

As for the actual subject under discussion... Nawh, I can't see it working. Far too much bad blood and tensions that would arise, among other things.
I wasn't directing my comments at you (sorry, if you misunderstood).

I just read the Wikipedia article about it and it appears that the Bush administration have made up this term and thrown in a load of countries. Greece and Cyprus have no real modern day connections with any of the other countries mentioned. Likewise, I'm not sure of the connection between the Caucasus and places like Somalia.

To me, it sounded like a phrase coined by a student who has no real knowledge or understanding of what they are talking about.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

ratherton wrote:I'd never heard of the "Greater Middle East" so I thought I'd look it up.

What a load of shite !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Middle_East

I'm sure as members of the EU, Greece and Cyprus are delighted to be grouped in with some of those other countries especially as they are neither Muslim or Arab countries.
All i can say is, no wonder it was the US Government that came up with this shite

I wasnt aware that a country further west than the UK was part of the middle east and that Italy is now bang in the middle of the middle east

I also thought the Caucasus were the complete opposite of northern Africa but i must be mistaken

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.