Guide To Using the Forums

Introduce yourself or talk about other forum users
Viduka
Veteran Member

Guide To Using the Forums

Post by Viduka » 06 Feb 2007, 18:16

After signing up, you have now entered an all national footballing community, where people from all over the world talk, walk and breath football. :D

First off, read other peoples posts, browse around and when you see something that interests you then go ahead and post a ‘Reply’ or if you are looking for advice in particular ‘Search’ the forums, if there is nothing under search that has been talked about then post your own ‘New Topic.’

Searching

This is very important and so I didn’t put it into a section.

Use the ‘Search’ button located on the right to find any relevant topics before you make a ‘New Topic.’

This will ensure that no repeats of answers and messages get floated around the forum because this created hassles for the moderators because they must clear out and lock the pointless messages that you make.

The following interface looks like this:

Type in the keywords or queries that you would like to be found in the top box.

If you would rather find a particular author then type the author’s name in the second box.

Below are custom settings that can make your search more specific.

Section One: A) Your First Reply (Post)

When posting for the first time, the following interface will appear.

Generally on posting there is no need to type a subject as it follows on from the Authors topic so leave the first box blank.

The second box is for you to type whatever you want, as long as it relevant to the topic. Make sure you post in a civil and appreciated way, and that no serious offences are made when posting. In this box, your own views or opinions and any other points can be made so that you and the current users of the forums can discuss each others shared opinions together in a good manner.

B) Your First ‘New Topic’

The following interface will appear:

This time when posting a ‘New Topic’ make sure you add a subject and make it relevant to the post so that when users see the topic they can judge by themselves whether they want to post also it gives users and idea about what the post is about.

E.g. – STUPID SUBJECTS

1. ‘Hey guy’s I need help with…’ (then the user carries on in the post without giving users any idea what the post is about until they open it)
By doing this, he will hardly get anyone to post in his message and if he does get posts from other people, it will most likely by from users telling him to add a relevant title to the post or insults from other users.. So its not helping anyone really…
What he should have done: Help Needed: Broken Leg
That way user’s know what his problem is and if they are able to help him, instead of users entering the topic and then realising that they know nothing about legs.
2. ‘I am the best, I can give advice’
viewtopic.php?t=3751
Don’t post stupid subjects like this and then expect to get replies that aren’t abusive.
3. ‘Why some games I play bad , but others im awsome’ Don’t even bother posting something that has been covered countless times.
viewtopic.php?t=7900&highlight=
Your most likely going to get a locked topic.

Section Two: Customise your post

Add bold words to your message by highlighting the words and clicking the symbol: Image
This makes the words look thicker and makes particular words stand out.

Add italics words to your message by highlighting the words and clicking the symbol: Image

This makes the words look slanted and slightly thinner.

Add an underline to words in your message by highlighting the words and clicking the symbol: Image

Add colour by clicking Font Colour : Default and selecting in a list.

Section Three: Quoting

Sometimes, when posting it may be necessary to quote another users post. As this may summarise your view and form the base of another post or sometimes quoting another user may be in positive or disagreeable intentions.

To quote there are 3 ways this can be done:
1. By highlighting the particular part of another user’s sentence below the interface, you can then enter this into the second reply box by right clicking and then clicking copy (Ctrl + C) and then right click again to paste (Ctrl + V). Then when the message is in your reply box highlight the sentence you have just copied and click quote.
Then the following should happen, [quote] should appear at the start of the sentence and [/quote.] should appear at the end. (there is no dot in last quote point, but if I remove dot then I will quote this :P
2. However, after doing the above method 1, it will not show which user you have quoted. Therefore, after repeating method 1 before pressing ‘Submit,’ at the start quote point [quote], add the following into your quote point [quote= “username”]. (Yes, the speech marks must be included)
3. Finally, if you’re too lazy then there is another faster way. By searching for the post that you want to quote there is a ‘Quote’ button on the top right of the post. (See below, I have removed the words and username out of someone’s post incase they don’t want it here)

There is a downside to doing this method however in that you will quote the whole message and it will not be as specific to a sentence as the above methods.

Section Four: Inserting Images

To insert images get the URL (internet address) of the image and enter the following starting points before the start and end of the address by pressing the ‘Img’ button.

This point Image at the end.

Section Five: Adding a poll

1: Type the question of the poll you would like. E.g. what do you prefer on your boots?
2. Enter the ‘Poll Options’ e.g. Blades, Studs and Morals. This will be selected by other users.
3. How long you want to poll to run for in days.

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 06 Feb 2007, 19:36

Should help noobs...lol!!

cuz we r proz with starz n levelz hiya then thoz guyz r!! theyz nee ta larn howz to use theze forumz. righteez?

We can use that language because we're experienced in this forum, that's right! Jokes guys. Try not to use my wannabe pro language like from some childish games on the internet. You will probably piss a moderator off and he will give you a bad rating. It also helps people read through things faster then going like, what did he say there? And it minimizes people getting the wrong idea of what you said.

Great guide Viduka, hopefully new users can read this before making stupid posts. :wink:
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 06 Feb 2007, 19:52

Hey man nice guid, I made headings for each section a little bigger so it's easier to see the section breaks, hope you don't mind :wink: This will definately help improve the quality of new members. Good work. :)
Click it

powell
English Meister

Post by powell » 06 Feb 2007, 19:55

good guide this should clear up alot of problems that nobies have if they both to read it. im assuming it was ajc that gave you the 5 stars but im going to give you them as well plus im gonna make this guide a sticky. Good Job.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 06 Feb 2007, 20:03

yes, t'was I
Click it

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Post by iwannagopro » 20 Feb 2007, 09:01

Wow great guide, we have been needing one of these. I would rate you 5 stars, but guess I can't. I will just have to wait for this new rating system I guess. Peace man.

Viduka
Veteran Member

Post by Viduka » 20 Feb 2007, 18:11

Lol this guide will be useless after this forum has been completely updated. hahahaa :P

Ill have to edit everything.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 20 Feb 2007, 18:54

Viduka wrote:Lol this guide will be useless after this forum has been completely updated. hahahaa :P

Ill have to edit everything.
Yeah, but it's really only the screen shots that'll need to be changed because most of the stuff is the same, just it looks diff. Maybe you can add a section on how to upload your vids once that profile that Expert told us about is up and running.