Going to Make it...

Introduce yourself or talk about other forum users
AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

It's cool don't worry, no its not like it here, our coach get mad at us and everything if we do bad and doesn't congradulate the other team :) ...and no it's pretty official the matches here, but we do say "good game" to each other, pro's do that too if i understand correcty, the exhange jersey with each other i think is the tradition. But hey, no offence taken, good luck on your dreams!
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals
"The ability to succeed requires the realization of what one wants and the passionate desire to attain it."

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Soccer4Life wrote:
Brines wrote:The best thing for you is for people to say that you can't make it. What do the 12 and 13 year olds on this forum know about your ability to play?
Why did you have to bring age into this? I would have thought all of my efforts would have made people on this forum think more highly about younger players.
Soccer4life, you are one of the best posters on here, but I can see where Brines is coming from. I think what he meant to say is that 12 and 13 yr olds really don't know what it's like to play for high school varsity, or know what level you have to be at to make that type of a team.

I've played for my high school's varsity the past two years, and one thing that caught my eye, is that you say you have a friend in 8th grade on high school varsity? Well either he is a very incredible player who will easily go on to get a full ride to a college of his choice, or his school's team sucks. Most likely the latter. Making the team as an 8th grader does not happen in my area, at least not with a team that is worth playing for.

Two of my teammates from last year got scholarships to division 1 schools, and they didn't play on varsity until their sophomore year. At my school there have been two freshmen who made varsity in the past 6 years. Typically the other good high school teams we face do not have any freshmen, although sometimes there will be one or two, and they rarely play an important role in the team. The teams I see with freshmen being the main players on the team are the teams that are not good and don't have a strong program.

I'm not saying that there aren't good freshmen out there every year, but if you don't step in to your varsity team as a freshmen and become an impact player then it's not a big deal at all. I played one match for varsity my freshmen year(the rest on jv) and then started on the team my sophomore year and helped out but was not one of the top 5 players on my team. I trained very hard after my sophomore year, and came back this year as the main player. (I'm not saying this to promote myself, in fact I feel weird talking about personal accomplishments and whatever)

My point is, if you don't make varsity your freshmen year, don't worry about it. Just train very hard and come back next year ready to show your coach where you belong.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Hey, I'm really sorry about the double post. (now it's triple I guess)

But every time I deleted the second one, the first one was deleted as well, so I just left it as it is.

Edit: Thanks for deleting it for me iwannagopro. :wink:
Last edited by ajc on 14 Jan 2007, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

No worries mate, I deleted it! That is what mods are for, eh!

And as for the whole deal about the rec and varsity... I now take my stance on AJC's side, follow his advice and take his words wisely mate.

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

Alas, you guys are right again :wink: . Once again i'll bring my mom into the discussion and say that all her friends made varsity their freshmen year, but like you said they didn't play that much, they were benchwarmers. While my mom made jv (whatever it's called) and was captain of the team and had great experiences there, then made it to varsity the next year. But, even though chances are slim i'm still going to try and achieve my goal over the summer, and yes ajc i think my friends varsity team is not as good as the other highschool teams around here. My one challenge with trying to compete for varsity is just the physical difference between me and junior and seniors who are trying out or who are already on the team, its going to be tough beause they could probably manhandle me any way they wanted... :? .

January 14, 2007

Duration: Over an hour

Went for a jog of about 3-4 miles and it was pretty much a breeze, thankfully :) . After that i worked on some juggling + shooting skills, and finished it off with just some dribbling stuff and ball control, a decent practice however i would like to find some drills to work on some of my skills, to increase them further.
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals
"The ability to succeed requires the realization of what one wants and the passionate desire to attain it."

Brines
Sophomore Member

Try to get some sprints into the mix. I wish I had done more over the summer.
I'm 16 and play a lot of football.

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

Actually since my fitness plan started this week all i'm going to do "this week" will be long distance jogging just to get my stamina back to where it was in the middle of the soccer season. Next week i am definitely doing that because i've heard of how much it does for you and it will definitely improve my game :wink: .
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals

Brines
Sophomore Member

That sounds good. I'm stoked about it getting warmer out so I can train seriously.
I'm 16 and play a lot of football.

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

Ye, i'm in florida so that doesn't really affect me :wink: . It's like 70 degrees outside, or 80 don't remember :lol: .
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

January 16, 2007
Duration: Over one hour

Warm Up
- Jogged.
- Wall drills.
- Hit ball with instep between each other.
- Stretch.

Juggling
- Practiced for around 10-15 min.

Cone Drills
- My Own 1v2 drills.
- Slalom drills, with 2.5 feet between each cone.
- Stepovers over a cone, tried to beat record each time.
- Accurate shooting, need two people I discovered.
- “Fartlek” sprints, sprint/jog/sprint/jog/sprint/sprint pattern
- Ladder sprints, 1-2 times, can’t remember was really tired

Cool Down
- One lap around retention pond.
- Stretched everything once again.

Juggling
- Finished off with 5-10 minutes of juggling.

Note: Repeated each of these drills 5-6 times at a speed between a jog and sprint.

Goals & Suggestions
- Become quicker in execution of moves in 1v2 drill situations.
- Increase ball control over time in slalom drill, in one weeks time would like to lower the length between each cone from 2.5-2 or even 1.5 feet.
- Practice speed and execution and increase duration of stepovers I do.
- Change “Fartlek” sprints to sprint/sprint/jog/sprint/sprint with some delay in between each cone sprint/jog.
- Increase juggling average to 15 by end of the week.
- Get a ball helper who returns my ball in the shooting drill
- Find drills to increase weaker skills, i.e. weaker foot, field sense, quick move execution.
- But above all, Keep Improving!

January 17, 2007
Duration: 40 minutes

Today I ran long distance, this is going to be the pattern now, every other day I will sprint then the next day I will jog long distance.

Warm Up
- Jogged to stopping point on long distance trail.
- Stretched.

Endurance
- Ran for a total of 22 minutes.
- Ran for a distance of about 2-3 miles, haven’t checked yet.
- Jogged at a near maximum pace for first mile to mile and a half then moved to a subtler jog.

Cone Drills
- Did my own 1v2 drills.
- Slalom drill 2 paces apart, moved farther apart to 2.5 paces because the distance was too short and I couldn’t keep the ball with me, I had to do like a sideways pass to myself and back again to go through the cones, never maintained a decent possession of the ball.

Cool Down
- Stretched and calmed body down.

Juggling
- Finished off with juggling.
- Juggled for 5 minutes.
- Learned cold weather and juggling doesn’t mix.

Goals & Suggestions
- GOAL REACHED: Execution of moves in 1v2 situations is much quicker, although it can improve but it’s at the level I prefer, rather than before.
- NEW GOAL: Use changes in speed in my 1v2 situations.
- Increase juggling average to 15 by end of the week, constant now is around 8-10, never count now as I’m too focused to count.
- Find more drills to increase weaker skills, i.e. weaker foot, field sense, quick move execution.
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

January 18, 2007
Duration: Over 1 hour

Warm Up
- Jogged with ball across soccer field I went to that day
- Stretched
- Shot some goals and did some other warm up drills

Endurance
- Ran around soccer field with a ball for a while.

Drills
- Practiced some shooting drills
- Worked on curving the ball and pile-driving it in the net
- Also worked on accuracy from around 10-20 yards from the goal

Juggling
- Juggled for around 20-30 minutes
- Beat my current record of 27 to 35 then to 62, yes!
- Am trying to keep an average juggle of 12, currently my goal is to reach an average of 15

Goals & Suggestions
- Increase juggling average to 15, then to 20
- Find more drills to increase weaker skills, i.e. weaker foot, field sense, quick move execution.
- Make sure my friend is at park before going, never want to be at the park alone again! It’s too boring!
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals

Saibomb
Veteran Member

Let me tell you something really important. PRACTICE DRIBBLING MORE THAN ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

Geez, sorry i haven't been posting logs recently, i think i have an injury :roll: . I believe i bruised my stomach, somewhere in that area i guess, from running so much. So now, i just have to sit back and what for that to stop so...Any suggestions for helping me get through this injury will be appreciated. The pain is right below my ribcage on the left side and i think it's either a bruise or a cramp or something. Any help?
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Have you been doing situps?

I know it can cause pains in the stomach area, but other then that, I don't know much.
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

Sorry again for not posting lately, still injured. I did sit ups actually during PE after that injury, so now the area in between my rib cages hurt :roll: . But it's getting alot better now so i'm going to start posting logs again.

YES! :D
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals