It's Now or Never

Introduce yourself or talk about other forum users
ASpring

Let me start by saying that I've been playing soccer for the past 9 years. Almost all of those 9 years have been wasted by me not being dedicated to soccer. I'm currently a Sophmore at a small rural high-school.

Our soccer program at the school isn't all to great. The soccer programs only been here for about 5 years. Last year was a record season 7 wins, 7 losses, 4 ties. Ya ya, sad I know but it was a big accomplishment. This season didn't go to well we ended at 3 wins 14 losses and 5 ties or so. Our team consisted of 18 Sophmores and 3 Juniors so I'm not very surpised, considering we played all varsity teams.

I've started this hoping that it will keep me motivated to train.

My current Strengths:
Good Speed
I'm tactically minded, always thinking about how to create opertunities.
I make good runs

Weaknesses:
Left foot is a huge weakness.
My Instep shots have horrible accuracy
Confidence
Taking on Defenders

My short term goals(Next month or so):
1. Average 1 hour of good practice each day.
2. Start a good lifting program and stick to it.
3. Improve my left foot through devoting practice to it.

Number three is a non-specific goal but I can't think of any way to make it specific...

November 02, 2006
Got a ride home from school with a friend. Drank a soda(I know, bad habit, I'm trying to quit) then got dressed to go outside and practice.
It was really freakin cold today. Only about 40F or (3-4C for you non-americans) So I wore a bunch of underarmor, stockin hats etc.

First thing I did was practice my left footed shots. I tried to make sure my shooting was at game pace because I hear that helps more. Overall I really think I need to improve my left foot a ton.
Next a did a little volleying, I'd kick the ball against the wall and flick it back up as it came to me, then quickly volley it at about crossbar height back at the wall.
Finally I did a lot of dribbling, mainly practicing basic stepovers, pullbacks and such.

Total Practice Time: 1 hour 15 minutes. ( I couldn't really practice more since by the time I was done, it was pitch black outside.)

powell
English Meister

Here is a few exercise you can do to improve on your weaker left foot.

1)Stretch out your whole body

2) Take the ball to a spot where it can bounce on the ground i.e. concrete, brick and bounce it on the ground as if you were going to juggle. As the ball comes down, hit it lightly up with your instep or laces. Once you have hit it let it bounce on the ground once, then repeat. do this for as long as you can (try to do it for at least 5 minutes, 10 or even 15 preferably). If you are good enough to juggle you can do that, but it is better to do this because it is hard to mess up.

3)take the ball and nudge it to the left with your outstep, then bring it back in quickly with your instep. Repeat quickly. Do this for as long as you can, the same as i said before.

4)find a wall or if u don't have a wall, then a street curb or anything big enough to bounce a ball back is ok. take the ball and stand a meter away from the wall. Do quick little passes to the wall using your outstep and instep. Repeat as I said before.

5)find a wall, or if u don't have a wall, you can just through the ball into the air. if you do have a wall throw the ball against it. when the ball comes down try to settle the ball. Once it is settled, flick it up and hit it against the wall or in the air. If you can't flick it up pick it up and throw in the air. repeat as many times as you can.

Each of these drills works on different aspects. I will say which drill improves which thing.

drill #2 helps your accuracy and shooting technique for the instep drive and juggling.

drill #3 helps your dribbling skills, and your elasticos

drill #4 helps your reaction time.

drill #5 helps your trapping and overall control.

You can do these drills any time you feel like, and they also help to improve control with your good foot too. After maybe 4 hours of these drills you will notice an improvement.

P.s. i know this has been posted by someone before by i couldnt find the link and had it stored on my computer so just to say im not copying or anything.

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

^^^^ wow man u had it stored on ur computer!!! Holy @#^$ I'm so proud of myself... I wrote it. Hehe, but yes that post that I made is good, one that I have used, and it does really help. It all really amounts to how much you practice... so do as much as you can. And btw you said you drink a soda everyday after school, I have figured out a good way to stop that because I had the same problem. Instead of buying sodas... buy a juice... like an Orange Mango or A strawberry melon one... you know a combo juice, you can get em at most markets. And they are very tasty... so instead drink those, and eventually just drink water and milk... and some juice. It worked for me! And good luck, im rooting for you!

Ic3

Wow, you don't understand how similar we are.

I also go to a rural highschool. Our team consisted of 3 seniors, 2 juniors, and 13 sophmores. Half of the team has never played soccer before.

Our record the past two years was 3-16, but this year we were 9-11 and went to playoffs where we lost to the number 1 seed.

It was a great season.

If you don't mind I'm going to start doing things you do, because I have the exact same strengths and weakness as you (are you sure you aren't my twin).

I have to start getting serious... It's really cold here 30 Degrees F, so I'll just be practicing in my basement ;)

Keep up the great work and keep me posted, haha.

expert
Site Admin

ASpring wrote:Average 1 hour of good practice each day
In the winter I too make my sessions shorter but more intense. Otherwise you get cold.
ASpring wrote:First thing I did was practice my left footed shots.
One thing I've noticed is that I improve much quicker when I count my number of repetitions... so I decide beforehand "I'll do 50 repetitions of the volley, 100 with my left foot, etc"

ASpring

Wow, wasn't expecting this much help from everyone. :D
Thanks a lot for all the tips.

Ic3 that is kind of creepy. lol

Friday:
I went straight to a friends house after school. There were about 8 of us there and we played "killer" with a soccer ball.

For those of you that don't know what killer is:
Juggle the soccer ball between 3 different people and each person must hit it 5 times. After that happens you grab the soccer ball and throw it at someone. Then the person that was hit gets a letter, until you spell a word and lose.

We played it for at least 1.5 hours. It's amazing how much practicing juggling has helped my first touch. I felt like a pro recieving each pass. It was really awesome.

Saturday:
I worked from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. I came home typed this and am hopefully going to get some sleep. I am exhausted. I want to go practice, but I have absolutely no energy.
I am excited about our first indoor soccer game of the season tomarrow though. I'm not in good shape so I think I'll add some running into my daily practice.
G'night everyone.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

I have a few questions about Killer. Do you have any chance to block the ball after someone throws it at you? Do you spell out "killer"?

Can I add this game to my Ultimate Juggling Guide?

ASpring

I have a few questions about Killer. Do you have any chance to block the ball after someone throws it at you? Do you spell out "killer"?

Can I add this game to my Ultimate Juggling Guide?
The only way you can block the ball is by catching it. If you catch it then you can play that the thrower gets a letter or that the person who caught it gets a letter taken away.
You can spell out any word it really doesn't matter.

Sure add it, I'm glad I could help.

If you need any more detail be sure to ask. :D

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

I will write up the my own definition later this week then PM it to you so you can check everything is correct, if thats okay with you.

ASpring

Sure that's fine. It's not like I copyrighted it. :P

Match Report: Roanoke-Benson-Eureka vs. Olympia(Kirk)
(I'm on Olympia)
Score: 2-0

Team Performance: Overall pretty good. R-B-E is one of the top teams in the state, and we're, well, not. First goal was a fluke by the goalie but I won't blame him. It was his first time playing goalie and he tried to kick it out instead of catching it and missed. Second goal rolled in at like 1/2 a mile and hour from a header.

Personal Performance: Decent. I had a bunch of good passes that "should" of created opertunities but sometimes my team couldn't control it perfectly. Oh well, I also had some bad passes. I noticed improvement on my left foot and on my field vision. I've been working on field vision for a while by just keeping my head up while recieving the ball, I'm glad it payed off.

Problems I Noticed: My lack of confidence in attempting to beat defenders.
And my dribbling seemed off. I'm hoping the dribbling is just temporary because I throught I was good.

Plan for tomarrow is to start lifting after school, then come home and do some dribbling practice and do those excersises powell posted.(Thanks powell and iwannagopro.)
I would practice shots and such outside but it will be dark by the time I get home.

I'm overall satisfied with how the day went.

ASpring

I'm very happy with how today went.

Right after school I went to the weight room and lifted for about an hour. I did a combonation of squats, bench, hex-bar, and other misc. lifts. All free weights because our school is too poor to afford any of the new fangled machines. :lol:

I then came home watched a little tv then practiced in my basement for an hour and a half. I used the guide from Iwannagopro for the first hour, then practiced some juggling with my left foot for the rest of the time.

Total Practice: 1.5 hours
Total Practice include Lifting: 2.5-3 hours

I've been thinking about my goals a little bit now. I'm sure you've noticed that I don't have any intermediate or long term goals. So I've thought some up. And no this was no snap decision, when I said a little bit now, I meant about a week or so.

Intermediate Goal
Tryout for and Join an established U-17 club team.

I'm currently examining possibilities in my area. Anything is better than what I'm stuck with now, even though it makes me feel bad saying that.

Long Term Goal
Recieve a scholarship to play for a Division 1 school.

Not quite sure what college yet. But I'm working on it. :wink:

It seems pretty cool to me how much I'm addicted to soccer. I used to get addicted to videa games and think about them 24/7. Now it's soccer all I do is think soccer, read about soccer, play soccer. Kind of a euphoric feeling for me. :D

Need Help
I need help with a lifting program. I've been doing a generic 3 sets of 8 reps program but I'd really like a specific one related to soccer. If anyone has knowledge in this area please PM me or post here.

I'm currently 5'8" and 135 lbs.
During now and my junior year I'm expected to gain about 4 inches. So my goal is to be about 6'0" or so and about 175 lbs. But still maintain my speed and endurance.

ASpring

School went ok today I guess. We had a Pre-ACT test and I think I did decent on it.
But on to more important stuff. :wink:

I got home from school and went outside, I mainly worked on instep drives and shots. I really wish someone would have taught me about kicking with the instep before now, oh well. I then worked on some dribbling moves, mostly elasticos and scissors because I enjoy them the most.

It was getting dark so I went inside and ate a small supper. Then went to the basement where I again practiced from the guide by Iwannagopro. After that I did a bit of juggling for about a half hour. I finished my night by doing an aerobic workout for 30 minutes on the treadmill.

So I'm basically worn out.

Total Practice Time including Aerobic Workout: 3.5 hours

Yah, I know quality over quanity but i think I did a pretty decent job of making that quality practce.

My only real fear now is that I'm going to burn out sometime soon. I will aknowledge that it could happen but I pray to God that it won't. Because I'm really enjoying myself.

Off to do trig homework then maybe play a little Fifa 07.

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

well u wont burn out on practicing footy if u love it, but u will burn out on too much fitness too soon, so no worries! Sounds like a great practice, i should get one of those practices is some time soon... *sigh* i am so overloaded

ASpring

Yah, I get a little overloaded with homework from school sometimes. Because I sit there just thinking about football instead of actually doing it. :lol:

I've been pretty sick the last two days in case you were wondering why I didn't post. But I'm better now.

Today I focused on kicking technique to hopefully improve accuracy and power and I also focused on left foot passing.
We didn't have school today so I had a TON of time to practice.
My first session was about 9-10AM.
Second session was from around 12Noon-2:30PM.
Third and final session which also consisted of a 30min aerobic workout was from 3:30PM-6:00PM.

Total Practice Time: 6 hours.

Most of the practice wasn't too intensive although considering I was jammed in our basement with a bunch of old junk the entire time. :D

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

well sounds like a good training, and btw i do the same thing with homework, half the time im just sitting there thinking about how i could be training... lol. Could u give some more specifics for your training, so we can really help you, like what kind of drills and stuff u did??? anyways thanks for posting