What Have You Been Up to Since EF Went Down?

Introduce yourself or talk about other forum users
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Holy crap, s11, that sounds so friggin' awesome! Anyway I can catch you online or something? I love sports talk shows more than pretty much anything else.

expert
Site Admin

Croatianblood1 wrote:Thank you, old friend. Psychoanalysis is quite interesting actually although unfortunately I didn't learn too much about it since I studied mainly developmental psychology courses. I was originally interested in becoming a school counselor but unfortunately I did not have high enough grades for the school counseling program.

As for drugs, haha hopefully my grad school courses teach me about those. Studied a little bit of that in my Biopsychology course but not enough for me to form a solid opinion.
Seems like a great field to work in. Congrats on doing as well as you have so far.
Developmental psychology is interesting too but I personally like the old school stuff like interpretation of dreams. :)
Psychoanalysis is cool too because it's so out there.
I admit that I don't know much about it but from what I hear nowadays almost every condition is treated using behaviorism or drugs.

soccer11
Admin

Rome_Leader wrote:Holy crap, s11, that sounds so friggin' awesome! Anyway I can catch you online or something? I love sports talk shows more than pretty much anything else.
http://www.wbbl.com
We're on iheart radio now as well. We mostly do Michigan based sports but if you're interested, give it a listen. The show I work on is from 6-9am so if you're up at the crack of dawn, give us a listen.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Red Wings, Pistons or Wolverines, it's all the same to me! :P Will give a listen.

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

To be honest, I've been doing nothing but what I was doing before EF went down. I recently just transferred to a 4 year university from my Junior College, so I had to move from my humble beginnings to the big campus life (just wrapped up my first semester, well technically this Friday at midnight haha). I am currently studying Philosophy with emphasis on Law, with the hopes of going to Law school one day. But, I recently changed my major for next semester to Political Science with emphasis on Law. Life tip, don't major in Philosophy unless you actually enjoy that stuff...cause really imo it's all a load of bulls**t! Outside of academic life I've been pretty caught up (those of you who follow me on facebook or twitter probably know what I'm talking about) with my two hybrid wolf dogs, who have become essentially like my children. I generally go home once a month to visit the family (mainly the dogs). Lets see what else, TH14 (for those who remember) and myself play FIFA 13 Pro Clubs quite religiously, we are in Division 1, knockin heads in. Other than that, I've been up to nothing.

Oh! Soccer-wise, before moving down here to Southern California, I was playing soccer roughly 3 times a week with some pretty seasoned adults (I don't classify myself as an adult yet hehe), even up to 4 times a week depending if I had Sunday league stuff. Now that I am down in SoCal I still play quite a bit, about 3 nights of pretty hardcore indoor a week, and intramurals on the field once a week.

expert
Site Admin

Zlatan5 wrote:Life tip, don't major in Philosophy unless you actually enjoy that stuff...cause really imo it's all a load of bulls**t
Yeah, I got a little bit into philosophy and a lot of the philosophers I find unbearable (especially the "analytical" philosophers). Maybe you just haven't found ones that are exciting to you. There are some really electrifying ones (at least I think so) like Nietzsche, Camus, Sartre and even Dostoyevsky (yes I know the latter two are not "technically" philosophers).

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

expert wrote:
Zlatan5 wrote:Life tip, don't major in Philosophy unless you actually enjoy that stuff...cause really imo it's all a load of bulls**t
Yeah, I got a little bit into philosophy and a lot of the philosophers I find unbearable (especially the "analytical" philosophers). Maybe you just haven't found ones that are exciting to you. There are some really electrifying ones (at least I think so) like Nietzsche, Camus, Sartre and even Dostoyevsky (yes I know the latter two are not "technically" philosophers).
I minored in Philosophy and I really enjoyed Sartre and his work "Existentialism is a Humanism" (i'm pretty sure that was the title). Existentialism is a very interesting area of philosophy that you might enjoy, Zlatan

scottS4
Veteran Member

My year without EF was incredibly busy, what with graduating from high school and starting university and the like.

My last year of youth soccer was a huge success, with my team going 30+ games unbeaten in the league. My last indoor season of u18 was one of my best ever, as I helped my team dominate the top division in Calgary. We finished second in the provincial tournament, losing in the final to the team that would later make up the majority of FC Edmonton's reserves.
The following outdoor season was less of a highlight for me. An annoying foot injury plagued most of my season, limiting me to 8 games, mostly as a substitute. However, my team still had a great season, again going undefeated and winning the league for the second season in a row. We managed to FINALLY win provincials this summer, which meant we got to represent Alberta at club nationals this October, where we finished 5th. Unfortunately, nationals will not be one of my fondest soccer memories, with a hip injury limiting my playing time to just two 45 minute appearances at the tournament. Still, I love being able to say that I played for the 5th best club team in the country :D

This spring I signed a letter of intent to the U of C Dinos, who I trained with throughout the spring and summer. Unfortunately, what I can only describe as a poor first impression resulted in me getting red shirted this year, which meant I didn't get any playing time, except in a few preseason friendlies.
As of now, I'm basically in "soccer purgatory." Preperation for the next university season doesn't start until summer, so I'm just playing with a mens team until then to keep in shape. I still go to drop in soccer and practices with my old team as often as I can.

As for school, I graduated with good grades and got a few scholarships. I had a girlfriend for a few months, but we broke up right before prom, so I didn't have a date :( At university I'm majoring in communications, only because journalism wasn't offered at my university. I actually wrote my last exam for the first semester this morning, and am now on winter break.

I also tried my hand at coaching last year, and even got paid to do some summer soccer camps. It was fun, but the kids were so young it was more like babysitting. I also recently got a part time job at a comedy club, which I've enjoyed alot. This spring I'm hoping to get some sports journalism experience, writing articles for the website of the soccer club that I played for.

Holy sh*t that was longer than I thought it would be.

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

expert wrote:
I really enjoy Nietzsche, simply because of his perspectivism. His views are so liquid and ambiguous, which is nice because it leaves a lot of room for people to interpret, which is how Philosophy should be. I never got too much into Dostoyevsky simply because the syntax of his readings are quite difficult (aren't all philosophers?!). Another reason I enjoy Nietzsche is because of his nihilism, which again is up to so much interpretation, but what mainly interests me about it is how it lines up with science and evolution- in the sense when Nietzsche famously said, "God is dead".

expert
Site Admin

Zlatan5 wrote:I really enjoy Nietzsche, simply because of his perspectivism. His views are so liquid and ambiguous, which is nice because it leaves a lot of room for people to interpret, which is how Philosophy should be.
True. Also there's a lot of passion in his writing so it's exciting to study. I've heard somebody describing his writings as "halfway between metaphorical and literal". It's a very unique style and yes definitely open to multiple interpretations.
Zlatan5 wrote:I never got too much into Dostoyevsky simply because the syntax of his readings are quite difficult (aren't all philosophers?!).
Yes, his style is not as beautiful as Nietzsche's but his ideas are stunning. Plus his works are translated from Russian so that might have an effect too.
Zlatan5 wrote:Another reason I enjoy Nietzsche is because of his nihilism, which again is up to so much interpretation, but what mainly interests me about it is how it lines up with science and evolution- in the sense when Nietzsche famously said, "God is dead".
A lot of scholars claim that Nietzsche isn't a nihilist in the sense that he doesn't believe that everything is meaningless. He places a lot of value on "creation" like for example producing great works of art. According to his philosophy, there is the superman who "gives meaning to the earth" through his creations. He also praises power and affirms life. So in that sense he does value certain things and is not totally nihilistic. :)
Apart from the science and evolution thing, Nietzsche's denial of God is really scary to me on an personal level. Not that I'm religious per se, but the fact that somebody can reason this out to such an extent is mind-boggling.

expert
Site Admin

Wow, scotts, you got it going on, man. You're probably one of the few people from the EF veterans playing in college. It seems like most of us have either retired or moved onto other things. Congrats on everything, we'll be definitely following your progress. :)

PS. Oh my God, ScottS you're a lucky man, I almost deleted your post while trying to reply to it! I'm not kidding either!

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

expert could wipe any of us off the face of the Earth, just like that! :O I think we should all take a moment to realize how lucky we are to be here. As past events have shown us, EF could be here one day and gone the next! LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST!

J
Admin

Well alot has changed in my life since I have posted regularly on here. I got married and have a 15 month old son. We also have another baby on the way due next July. I see life alot differently now than I used to. I work at A big university fixing and filling the vending machines. Nothing extrodinary, but it pays the bills and I actually don't hate going to work. (good atmosphere to work in)

I still train about three or four days during the week, doing sprints with ball, shooting on goal, and juggling. Keeps me fit and active at my old age (just turned 30 :shock: ). I do wish I had more time to play like the old days.

Nothing else too exciting going on, glad to have this forum up again though :)

expert
Site Admin

Hey, that's amazing, congrats on becoming a father J.
Nice to hear to that you're still training - it becomes addicting after a while doesn't it.
Not to mention that it's good for your health.

Man, this place used be dominated by 13 year olds but now everybody's grown up. :)

J
Admin

Thanks, man. Yeah training really is addictive. I've tried exercising doing your basic things that everyone else does, but I just didn't get that satisfaction of actually having a ball at my feet and training my coordination as well.

People still look at me funny when I'm by myself out on a field going all out dribbling the ball and shooting, but I still love it and will probably be doing it when I'm 60 or can't move anymore..haha