Reforming The Rating System

Introduce yourself or talk about other forum users
NewBornProdigy
Admin

The Mod's have connect their obese brains and come up with a new plan to effectively make the rating system... Effective

It starts with Punishment and Reward For high and low ratings

This is the system, up for ideas but this is the basic structure:

-5 Five Ratings gets you rewarded (Yet to decide, Hugs, Free Fruit, Smooches etc.)
-5 Four Ratings equals 1 Five Rating
-Three's mean nothing (Possibly that the rating for the post is void)
-5 Two Ratings equals 1 One Rating
-5 One Ratings gets you punished (Temporary Ban first offence, Longer bans succesive times)

The mods will have control of the system, But if you disagree with a rating you can PM a mod who will bring it to light in an Appeal Thread (Still discussing that system)

We will record ratings from this day fourth, so all previous rating will have no effect on the current status of your rating, essentially we are all on zero now (we have a way of recording this accurately)

If you feel someone should be rated (good or bad) alert a mod and it will be dealt with

If you amass enough ratings to deserve a reward or punishment, we will alert you in the status thread

Here (not made yet)

This will hopefully give the rating system some use

Open to Questions or Suggestions

Note: Please bear in mind expert is not around so we can't elaborately change anything only improve current instalments

NewBornProdigy
Admin

So tell me, what you guys think?

Suggestions would be helpful, so don't be shy

Nat_H
Veteran Member

EF citizens assembly is currently in committee; it may be a few weeks before we can move this bill to the floor.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Nat_H wrote:EF citizens assembly is currently in committee; it may be a few weeks before we can move this bill to the floor.
Damn citezens, last time I snuck into one of them they had a 30 minute tea break every 15 minutes :x

Icy
Veteran Member

Just because the rating system is there doesn't mean you have to use it. It's honestly a waste of time for both mods, and just people posting here.

Who should care if someone posts a couple word response if it's not someone new? (I specifically say this because you guys know you rate those 1 star)

The place has been working just fine without it, so don't bother bringing it back. It just discourages honest opinions.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Icy wrote:Just because the rating system is there doesn't mean you have to use it. It's honestly a waste of time for both mods, and just people posting here.

Who should care if someone posts a couple word response if it's not someone new? (I specifically say this because you guys know you rate those 1 star)

The place has been working just fine without it, so don't bother bringing it back. It just discourages honest opinions.
Noted and good points

But understand were trying to encourage honest opinions and avoid pointless ratings that reside in bitterness with a newer system (the 1's to one word posts)

Cause you may not care about your rating but some members do and we are trying to value it so they have a reason to care, futhermore its essentially a way of keeping us mods in line with the structure we have to it

But good contribution Icy appreciated

Juice

I think its a great idea, love it :)

The most important key to success is self-confidence.
The most important key to self-confidence is preparation.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Yes Icy, the reason we are trying to reform it is because we don't want it to be meaningless. Back in the day, ratings were even fewer and further between, and highly valued. Ones were also only given out for the worst of posts. Somewhere along the way, this vision was lost. We are trying to ensure ones are meted out fairly, as well as fives and other good quality posts are recognized.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Rome_Leader wrote:Yes Icy, the reason we are trying to reform it is because we don't want it to be meaningless. Back in the day, ratings were even fewer and further between, and highly valued. Ones were also only given out for the worst of posts. Somewhere along the way, this vision was lost. We are trying to ensure ones are meted out fairly, as well as fives and other good quality posts are recognized.
this is more to do with the way the mods hand out ratings, not the system I dont think. I just think that perhaps the mods should have more disgression and noe when to hand out what type of ratings, then it will become more valuable.

Compared with ex mods like iwgp, s4l, ajc, rzad, powell etc, the current mods are much more eager to stamp their authority. Whether its locking topics or giving out ratings, its pretty much become a norm.

So like I said, I think the current mods just need to change the way they moderate the site, not the system that needs changing. Give out lesser ratings, and the rating system will automatically bcome more valuable.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

That's a factor too, Wanderer, and something we are working on amongst ourselves. However, we need you guys to do your part too, and provide good input just like that to help us along.

avipbn

Ive never found myself with an option to vote on someones post.

Theres been a few posts over the years that I wanted to rate but couldn't seem to find out how.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

avipbn wrote:Ive never found myself with an option to vote on someones post.

Theres been a few posts over the years that I wanted to rate but couldn't seem to find out how.
Only Mods can rate. But as of now, we want to give you guys more of a voice. Feel free to PM any Mod you like, or better yet, post in this thread if you feel someone deserves a rating, good or bad, and we'll look into it.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with the rating system now. As RL said, ratings used to mean something and the mods become too nice and rated many posts that don't deserve a rating.

Maybe the only thing that needs to change is the discretion of the mods?

Also, I think the current rating system is an important link. If I see that someone has a lot of highly rated posts, I'm able to click and see what they've done. I can view quality posts that I otherwise wouldn't have known about because they are either too old or aren't in the Featured Guide area.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

Nat_H
Veteran Member

1-star ratings have always been given out hit-and-miss. Even the best posters on this forum have made silly, pointless, or sarcastic comments (which I sometimes appreciate). So lower ratings are never taken seriously. And, high ratings just alert people to good posts, like PYHU said.

NewBornProdigy
Admin

Wanderer wrote:this is more to do with the way the mods hand out ratings, not the system I dont think. I just think that perhaps the mods should have more disgression and noe when to hand out what type of ratings, then it will become more valuable.
Exactly, as I've said this is an attempt to add vaule to ratings and perspective for mods to apply them and perspective and value for the common user

For Example...
I think you have something like 15 one ratings, a failed system if a user can get that many and not care if you ask me

Then you have mods who just rate your posts cause they are used to it rather than putting perspective on it compared to other users who would make posts that are just as bad
Wanderer wrote:Compared with ex mods like iwgp, s4l, ajc, rzad, powell etc, the current mods are much more eager to stamp their authority. Whether its locking topics or giving out ratings, its pretty much become a norm.
Ok if you think so, but they aren't around so you have to make do with what you got, just like we make do with the resources we got
Wanderer wrote:So like I said, I think the current mods just need to change the way they moderate the site, not the system that needs changing. Give out lesser ratings, and the rating system will automatically bcome more valuable.
Again this is more an attempt to change the moderation perspective on the system by alternating it
Also, I think the current rating system is an important link. If I see that someone has a lot of highly rated posts, I'm able to click and see what they've done. I can view quality posts that I otherwise wouldn't have known about because they are either too old or aren't in the Featured Guide area
The old rating system will still be there, were just trying to reform the problematic aspect
1-star ratings have always been given out hit-and-miss. Even the best posters on this forum have made silly, pointless, or sarcastic comments (which I sometimes appreciate). So lower ratings are never taken seriously
So changing the moderators veiw to realise to only rate bad posts that deserve 1's or 2's and have a sense of humor where possible... What were trying to do

Anyway all input has been noted and apprecitated