EPL vs. other leagues

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
Enjoythis469
Sophomore Member

People say that the EPL has the highest level of play/ highest competition of any league in the world. (except maybe uefa CL). Announcers also say this when other players join EPL clubs from other leagues and how they aren't ready for this league yet. What makes the EPL the premier league in the World? Either i'm missing something huge or it just doesn't contrast that much from la liga/ serie A.... any insight? thanks in advance.

spencerRRR

well i dont really know but what i heard is that the epl is like more aggresive and stuff but the la liga and siera a are my finnesee and stuff I dont know thats what i heard

Viduka
Veteran Member

OMG, I posted an amazing answer for this but my internet went funny so the post was lost.. and i typed loads lol.. so ill make this short.

EPL is more aggresive ( Which is a good thing) as this is how the game used to be played in the past (however this has died down alot). Other leagues are too soft and this encourages players to dive...

There is a fantastic history between EPL teams and even though some people may say that the big teams will always win eg. Man U, Aresenal, Liverpool and Chelsea ( who bought their way to the top). Looking at the old records, youll find that many other teams have graced the league eg. Blackburn Rovers, Leeds or even Nottingham forest. This therefore has produced a good hard rivalry in which clubs will play for their pride for fans and for their club.

Finally, play is different, when watching play from other leagues and then EPL. It is very different, this is hard to explain so ill let somebody else take over.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Viduka wrote: EPL is more aggresive ( Which is a good thing) as this is how the game used to be played in the past (however this has died down alot). Other leagues are too soft and this encourages players to dive...
Oh no it isn't. You should have seen the First Division (as it used to be called) back in the 1970s and 1980s. That was when it used to be good

Hugh
Veteran Member

Ya but we don't live in the 70s-80s, it's close to 30 years later now so the fact that they used to be playing as a man's game and aren't now just shows that the english league has managed to retain the level of testosterone required to play football. This is the league which produces the players who can shoot, pass, dribble, tackle, win headers and take a tackle without falling like they got hit by a battering ram; the premier league produces a premier player, who can do everything and is man enough to do it.

This is why I love english football, not only is it well played, and exciting, there's all the history behind it and people are still competetive enough to go out there and give it their all even if it means having their legs broken; to play in the premier league therefore you need to have an inner fire burning in you every time you step on the pitch. That's why it produces the defenders like Terry Butcher, Vinnie Jones, the midfielders like Steven Gerrard and George Best, and the attackers like Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney. All of these players were/are determined above all else, they are the real deal, English football's "hard men" and that's something you'll never get from another league, you can only get that fire from playing in the EPL.

Anyway... That's why I like it... :)

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

ratherton wrote:That was when it used to be good
Sorry, but I have to disagree. I have seen matches of my team from the first division days, and quite honestly the only good thing I could find from them is the fact that a) there were the terraces, which promoted passion from the fans, and b) there was less money in the game, thus making the playing field a bit more level. None of these things to me are even that good, as the terraces promoted hooliganism, while the lack of money prevented the ultra-talented players in Europe from entering the game, thus making the sport ugly as compared to today. Honestly, what would the Premiership be without Cantona, Zola, Henry, Bergkamp, Schmeiccel, and others? It certainly wouldn't be at the level that it is today. Proof of this is the fact that England are the only country with four clubs in the CL round of 16. Look, I understand that I didn't experience the old leagues in England where English football was really front and center, but I know that I would MUCH rather watch Wenger's flashy football than the boring, boring Arsenal of 15 years ago, and quite honestly, I can't stand it when people say that football has gone soft, as flying elbows and malicious acts aren't for men, they are for cannibals. There is enough contact in the sport without having to worry about a "standard" tackle from 30 years ago. We have to realize that although the sport has changed over time and that we are a bit uncomfortable with the result, there were certainly some glaring faults that were corrected in the process, and for us nu skool fans of the game, it is much better.

To answer the topic, the EPL probably isn't the best league technically, yet the break-neck pace of the game is sometimes impossible for many of the stars from other teams to adapt to, as your mental speed just needs to be fantastic to play in the EPL. The same pace in attack makes it the most watchable league in the world too.
God damn brewery!!!

soccer11
Admin

yeah i also think that it's because of how high paced it is. the EPL isn't my favorite league but it's definitly up there. and i also think that the defences in the premiership are better than advertised because there's constant pressure on them

thebenchspeaks
New User

The Premiership is the best league in the world because it is the most entertaining.

It is fast and aggressive with the worlds best players, and some of the worst referees and then some really bad players thrown in too (djimi traore aka the worst player EVER to win the Champions League).

Premiership goals - http://thebenchspeaks.blogspot.com

ratherton
Veteran Member

mpcarres14 wrote:
ratherton wrote:That was when it used to be good
Sorry, but I have to disagree. I have seen matches of my team from the first division days, and quite honestly the only good thing I could find from them is the fact that a) there were the terraces, which promoted passion from the fans, and b) there was less money in the game, thus making the playing field a bit more level. None of these things to me are even that good, as the terraces promoted hooliganism, while the lack of money prevented the ultra-talented players in Europe from entering the game, thus making the sport ugly as compared to today. Honestly, what would the Premiership be without Cantona, Zola, Henry, Bergkamp, Schmeiccel, and others? It certainly wouldn't be at the level that it is today. Proof of this is the fact that England are the only country with four clubs in the CL round of 16. Look, I understand that I didn't experience the old leagues in England where English football was really front and center, but I know that I would MUCH rather watch Wenger's flashy football than the boring, boring Arsenal of 15 years ago, and quite honestly, I can't stand it when people say that football has gone soft, as flying elbows and malicious acts aren't for men, they are for cannibals. There is enough contact in the sport without having to worry about a "standard" tackle from 30 years ago. We have to realize that although the sport has changed over time and that we are a bit uncomfortable with the result, there were certainly some glaring faults that were corrected in the process, and for us nu skool fans of the game, it is much better.

To answer the topic, the EPL probably isn't the best league technically, yet the break-neck pace of the game is sometimes impossible for many of the stars from other teams to adapt to, as your mental speed just needs to be fantastic to play in the EPL. The same pace in attack makes it the most watchable league in the world too.
So you don't think that passionate fans and a more level playing field for the teams to compete on are good things ? Is it better to have a stadium full of passionless suits watching a team paid for by an oil billionaire ?

To say terraces promoted hooliganism is at best naive and at worst ignorant. A lot of the hooliganism occured outside the stadium and terracing certainly was never an issue for these people when they decided they wanted a fight. Terracing in England was introduced as part of Justice Taylors report after the Hillsboro disaster when 96 people died at an FA Cup semi final. This was caused by over-crowding and people being trapped in by fences rather than hooliganism. In general, hooliganism is very well organised - it's not just a few lads getting out of control after too much beer.

There were plenty of talented players in the leagues back in the 1980s. You also have to remember that there were a lot more restrictions of freedom of movement too. In England, you could only have 2 foreign players in your team (ie - Not England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or Irish). My team, Ipswich, turned down the chance to sign Ruud Guillit as they already had 3 foreign players on their books. The changes in European employment laws have meant that clubs have been allowed to sign more foreigners. Do you think clubs would have a vast scouting network all over the world if they could only play 2 of their foreign stars at a time ?

During this time, the English league was incredibly powerful, right up until Heysel in 1985 when clubs got banned. How about this for dominance by teams from one league

European Cup Winners
1977 - Liverpool
1978 - Liverpool
1979 - Nottingham Forest
1980 - Nottingham Forest
1981 - Liverpool
1982 - Aston Villa
1984 - Liverpool

The Liverpool team of the late 70s and early 80s was awesome and Sir Bobby Robson has often said the team he had at Ipswich in 1981 was the best club team he has every managed. These teams were cloggers. They would play fantastic football without falling around like girls and they could also look after themselves. Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest team were another fantastic footballing side.

I've been fortunate enough to see both and for me, I'd be quite happy to go back to the way it was (without the hooliganism)

Viduka
Veteran Member

Dudes, there is no point in aruging with ratherton lol, i swear he has an old footballing dictionary stuck in his head.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Viduka wrote:Dudes, there is no point in aruging with ratherton lol, i swear he has an old footballing dictionary stuck in his head.
I don't mean to shout everyone down (if thats how I come across). I do enjoy reading peoples opinions on here and I like to have a discussion.

I used to know loads of useless stuff about football. I could name all the grounds for all 92 league clubs, what colours they played in.

Between the age of about 14 and 19, I used to go and watch Ipswich all the time and after that, I started to play football on Saturdays instead so I didn't go so much. I think I've been to around 55-60 of the 92 different league grounds in England although some have since been knocked down.

I guess it's just a matter of learning things over the course of a few years.

Viduka
Veteran Member

What?!?!?! Firstly, no you dont shout anyone down. Didnt mean for you to think that, I was just messing.

Secondly, are you invisible or something??? Because I swear your answering to these messages really quickly yet according to my comp it doesnt show you as online under 'Community'?

this must be one of your super powers, combined with the super memory that is able to "name all the grounds for all 92 league clubs" lol :lol:

ratherton
Veteran Member

Viduka wrote:What?!?!?! Firstly, no you dont shout anyone down. Didnt mean for you to think that, I was just messing.

Secondly, are you invisible or something??? Because I swear your answering to these messages really quickly yet according to my comp it doesnt show you as online under 'Community'?

this must be one of your super powers, combined with the super memory that is able to "name all the grounds for all 92 league clubs" lol :lol:
I know you didn't mean that. But I wouldn't be surprised if some people think it.

I'm jumping between websites. I'm trying to write up some web pages about Lithuania and Poland at the moment but I keep getting distracted

:wink:

mpcarres14
Veteran Member

ratherton wrote:I don't mean to shout everyone down (if thats how I come across). I do enjoy reading peoples opinions on here and I like to have a discussion.

I used to know loads of useless stuff about football. I could name all the grounds for all 92 league clubs, what colours they played in.

Between the age of about 14 and 19, I used to go and watch Ipswich all the time and after that, I started to play football on Saturdays instead so I didn't go so much. I think I've been to around 55-60 of the 92 different league grounds in England although some have since been knocked down.

I guess it's just a matter of learning things over the course of a few years.
Yeah, I understand that you aren't trying to shoot me down. It's just my opionion that English league play is better today than it was years ago. Obviously, for older people who grew up with the old First Division, there is a certain nostalgia and opinion that comes with that style of play and atmosphere, and even though I have seen these older matches, I didn't live through this time, so of course I will not be able to have the experience of both. Personally, I'm happy with the way things were two years ago, without foreign ownership and with Ashley Cole a young loyal Gooner, but what can I do. I guess things change, and for someone of my age, I need to learn to adapt to these alterations.
God damn brewery!!!

Viduka
Veteran Member

Actually its hard to say which was better, the old days or the new.

In the old days, it was more tougher, good loyal supporters and players..
Alot of talent and skill aswell.

But this time of age allows a mix of players to play, such as small players eg. shaun wright phillips, in the old days they were usually dismissive of these ideas. However, in this day of age.. too much money goes into the game.. it corrupts the players and the club. players play for money, clubs become run as a business...