Newcastle lose out on Kuyt, Owen out for season

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
SV_08

Today has been very bad for Newcastle. Earlier in the day, Liverpool announced that they were closing in on a deal with Dirk Kuyt of Holland, a striker that Newcastle has pursued since June. With Alan Shearer's retirement, they were already short on strikers. But then came the worse news.

Later on they said that Michael Owen is to go in for his second opperation on the injury he had going into the World Cup and was reinjured. They say it could take a while for him to come back, maybe March, but he still would have trouble coming back.

Do you guys think the Magpies can bounce back at all from this? Or do you not care and hope they blow?

hustler89
Veteran Member

Personally, I am quite fond of Newcastle and there resurgent attitude toward the end of the season.

Many things happened in Tyneside that could damage morale for any team; Owen injury most of season, Souness departure & general injuries to first XI players, but they took it on the chin and finished a respectful 7th.

Ameobi proved he is a goalscorer, N'Zogbia is a very talented young man, who has impressed me very much with his ability.

However, I am sceptical if the can repeat those heroics of last season. Roeder will have a lot more pressure as he is not just 'caretaker-manager' and maybe it will be just too much for him.

Anyways I'm hoping Newcastle will finish in a respectable position this season.

retardx

how good is Kuyt?

powell
English Meister

Hey hope this helps you with you question about dirk kuyt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk_Kuyt

for Feyenoord he scored 71 goals in 101 apperances

G-Unit-Freestyler

retardx wrote:how good is Kuyt?
From a Feyenoorders perspective, I think he's very good... 71 goals in 101 apperances isnt bad. He was meant to replace Van Hooijdonk after Van Hooijdonk left for Fenerbahce, and he's done a good job. Think it will be a blow to Feyenoord. However on the World Cup he failed to impress.

SV_08

Newcastle is basically stuck with no solution unless they sign someone soon. They'll probably end up playing with what they got and I can imagine them battling all year for a spot in the middle of the table.

But they're not the only ones not ready for the season. Mourinho said his team is not ready, which is a stupid excuse. Chelsea buys all these stars this season, replacing some already good players that I thought played well together, and now a bunch of em are hurt like Ballack. I never really like Chelsea, but now I really don't because they look more like a Real Madrid, which I don't like at all. To me, a bunch of stars may be talented, but won't play well together.

Good job Chelsea, watch as Man United, Arsenal, and Liverpool put some well deserved pressure on you.

G-Unit-Freestyler

SV_08 wrote:Newcastle is basically stuck with no solution unless they sign someone soon. They'll probably end up playing with what they got and I can imagine them battling all year for a spot in the middle of the table.

But they're not the only ones not ready for the season. Mourinho said his team is not ready, which is a stupid excuse. Chelsea buys all these stars this season, replacing some already good players that I thought played well together, and now a bunch of em are hurt like Ballack. I never really like Chelsea, but now I really don't because they look more like a Real Madrid, which I don't like at all. To me, a bunch of stars may be talented, but won't play well together.

Good job Chelsea, watch as Man United, Arsenal, and Liverpool put some well deserved pressure on you.

Ima have to disagree wit u. Real Madrid and Chelsea are exactly the opposite of each other... Real Madrid has had a full all star squad and it is they that cannot play together. They havent won a single thing in 3 years, whereas Chelsea have won 3 consecutive Premierships, came further then Real Madrid in Champs League and the national cup. The difference between Chelsea and Real is that Chelsea DO have a bunch of superstars that CAN play together, whereas Real has a bunch of super stars that CANNOT play together.

soccer11
Admin

why does liverpool need kuijt? dont they have crouch? (haha horrible sarcasm right there) people were talking about newcastle getting that last champions league spot for next season. i dont think they can anymore. anyone else agree?

peps1154
Veteran Member

Newcastle is a good team in my opinion, but withouth strikers they will not score, and how can they win withouth scoring, therfore I think this wont be a good season for them.

G-Unit-Freestyler

soccer11 wrote:why does liverpool need kuijt? dont they have crouch? (haha horrible sarcasm right there) people were talking about newcastle getting that last champions league spot for next season. i dont think they can anymore. anyone else agree?
U wont win championships with 1 striker :) , Morientes went to Valencia and Djibril Cisse went away as well.

SV_08

G Unit Freestyler, what I meant was that with the current signings they made this transfer season, they won't be able to work together THIS season. Last year I was sceptical, but they proved me wrong. Besides that, I felt like they had a receipe for playing together with the guys they had.

Btw, watched Wigan vs. Newcastle today, Newcastle pulled it out 2-1. Reminded me that they still have players like N'Zogbia, Ameobi, Parker, and Emre to pull them through, even though they only have 1 striker.

soccer11
Admin

Umm.....g-unit freestyler, ever heard of sarcasm? i even admitted that it was a sarcastic comment