Congratulations to Reading

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
ratherton
Veteran Member

Congratulations to Reading

Post by ratherton » 27 Mar 2006, 00:34

They got promoted to the Premier League for the first time in their history yesterday. Apparently, it's only the 3rd time a team has been promoted in March and they have an excellent chance to set a record number of points.

They've got some excellent players in their squad Steve Sidwell and Leroy Lita being the best two. The chairman has a bit of money so I think they'll do OK next season.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

maradona10
New User

Post by maradona10 » 27 Mar 2006, 01:27

Yeah they have two great americans on their team as well. Marcus Hahnemann and Bobby Convey. They should do real good next season. Great team very deserving of promotion.
"Coaches can make you smarter. But no one can teach you to play." - Thierry Henry

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt » 27 Mar 2006, 20:27

From what I have seen of Reading they are capable of some great football. I think they should stay up and hopefully have similar success as Wigan and West Ham have had this year.

Better still, a clause in Dave Kitson's contract means that Cambridge United get a tidy sum of money when Kitson becomes a Premiership player. Woohoo! :D
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

Wiseman_philosopher

Post by Wiseman_philosopher » 27 Mar 2006, 21:00

ahem.... see:

http://www.expertfootball.com/forum/vie ... light=lita

Who was it that pointed out Lita approximately 9 months ago, long before anyone heard of him? All I got was "Haha, we'll see" from frizzyan at the time, but now look! I wonder what people will be saying when he is playing in the Premiership.
He who thinks too much about every step he takes will stay on one leg all his life.

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 29 Mar 2006, 10:46

I'm sure a fair few people had heard of Leroy Lita, even if they didn't know how good he was. I was aware of him, and whilst he is undoubtedly a talented player, I don't think he is going to take the Premiership by storm. I guess it all depends on how Reading perform as a team, however. If they give him enough chances, he'll be sure to bury a few!

Reading deserve a lot of praise; getting promoted to the Premiership with a record amount of games left to be played is no easy feat. I hope they can produce next season, and give the players that got them promoted a chance to prove themselves.

Steve Coppell is a great manager, it must be said. :D

Wiseman_philosopher

Post by Wiseman_philosopher » 29 Mar 2006, 16:34

Magicfeet wrote:I'm sure a fair few people had heard of Leroy Lita, even if they didn't know how good he was. I was aware of him, and whilst he is undoubtedly a talented player, I don't think he is going to take the Premiership by storm. I guess it all depends on how Reading perform as a team, however. If they give him enough chances, he'll be sure to bury a few!

Reading deserve a lot of praise; getting promoted to the Premiership with a record amount of games left to be played is no easy feat. I hope they can produce next season, and give the players that got them promoted a chance to prove themselves.

Steve Coppell is a great manager, it must be said. :D
I don't think you are talking about the same time as me. I am referring when he only started in Bristol City first team. I think I'm right in saying he was a substitute for like a season, then started with Brooker for a season, and then got sold to Reading, so I doubt you had heard of him at that time.

Btw, have you seen him play? He will be amazing if he plays, because he was incredible at City, and he was only 19! Players such as Nathan Ellington, Andy Johnson have done well in the Premiership from the Championship, and he has the potential to become much better than them, a la Andy Cole (He started at Bristol City, and look what he has achieved).
He who thinks too much about every step he takes will stay on one leg all his life.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 29 Mar 2006, 19:19

Lita broke his leg quite badly a few weeks ago so hopefully for Reading, he'll be fully fit when the season starts again in August. I think he'll do really well in the Premier League.

Reading need a good start. If they go too long without getting a win, the confidence will soon go. Reading are a good side but the Championship is very, very poor this season. I don't think the other 2 promoted sides will be good enough to stay up

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 31 Mar 2006, 11:09

Being a Luton Town fan (Don't ask... :wink: ) I'm pretty well versed in the English lower leagues, and I had indeed heard of Lita when he was at Bristol City. As I say, he is a talent, and could prove a good Premiership player. Whether he will explode into the top tier of English football is another matter - But he'll get a few goals, theres no doubting that.

I have seen him play, but only once or twice - Not enough to give any real insight into his potential.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 31 Mar 2006, 16:50

Magicfeet, as a Luton fan you may be interested in this. We're doing a live text and picture commentary broadcast from the Luton v Ipswich match tomorrow

http://www.tractorboys.net/Tours/2006/luton_2006.htm

It's going to be from an Ipswich point of view but it'll be real-time updates.

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 01 Apr 2006, 19:50

Hey, may I say that's a pretty interesting broadcast you got going on there, having just got the chance to look at it. Nice one, thanks for the link. :)

powell
English Meister

Post by powell » 01 Apr 2006, 20:46

they won the championship 2day (i heard) aswell as gettin promoted to da top flight well done :wink: