Chelsea's Run of Form

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Chelsea's Run of Form

Post by Rome_Leader » 28 Dec 2012, 16:24

We totally need some more football discussion on this football forum. So, as a Chelsea fan, I thought I'd wax a little about recent Chelsea events and allow you guys to weigh in here.

Basically, I loved Di Matteo and everything he did for the club. I was definitely wary with the interim appointment of Rafa, and saw it as the final die cast in a desperate attempt to re-kindle Torres. It's too soon to say if that's worked out yet or not, despite him scoring a rash of quality goals against weak sides.

But I can definitely say this: The majority of fans have dismissed him too quickly, and he has real vision for the club. Namely, moving Luiz to DM may turn out to be one the biggest brilliancies at the club in the while. People bitched about Luiz and his double-edged sword play, but Benitez looked at the situation and has mananaged to do something constructive with him. He seems pleased in his new role, and any mistake he makes is not as critical. He flows more and can move more at his leisure, and gets in goal scoring position more often than not. I think retrofitting him as a midfielder is gonig to really pay off for the club in the long term.

The midfield is currently stacked full of so much young talent, it's basically overflowing into the bench and reserves, but I expect a clean up in January or the summer. Lampard may have to leave, but then we may finally get Marin some starts, etc. It's a good time to be a Chelsea fan. If we can lock up the phenomenal trio of Mata, Oscar and Hazard, I will be happy for many years to come.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

scottS4
Veteran Member

Re: Chelsea's Run of Form

Post by scottS4 » 29 Dec 2012, 02:44

I have to agree that Luiz is better suited to defensive mid. He always seemed liable to make at least one big mistake per game when he was at center back.

I personally think Rafa's a decent manager. He's won a good amount of trophies with Valencia and Liverpool. As far as I can tell, he knows how to win trophies. and I'm pretty sure he was Liverpool's most successful manager in the last 15 years or so. (Apart from maybe Houillier?)

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Re: Chelsea's Run of Form

Post by Rome_Leader » 29 Dec 2012, 02:59

Certainly. Chelsea fans seem to forget that he has CL Champion on his CV as well, same as Di Matteo. Much too soon to judge his form as Chelsea manager yet, and if he can yet inspire Torres, he might negotiate himself an extension.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!