Fines for a weakened side

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
AMacK7

Fines for a weakened side

Post by AMacK7 » 27 Jan 2011, 22:24

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... ne?cc=5901
saw this when I got home. If they make them list a 25 man roster shouldn't they be allowed to field any team using those players? It just doesn't seem right to me. I know its only something like 25,000 pounds but its the whole idea of it that i don't like. Who gets to make the decisions on what is a strong enough side in a game?

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Post by ScottyBoy » 27 Jan 2011, 22:29

So the premier league have declared to second choice Blackpool players "your sh*t and if your playing you make the team weak"

If this is the case then i think Aston Villa should be fined for only beating them 3-2

EDIT. Earlier this season Arsenal played in the league cup. Made 9 changes for their next game in the league then another 9 changes for their following league game.

If Arsene Wenger uses 25 internationals it is called squad rotation but if Blackpool use unknown players they are cheats?

It doesnt matter how good people like Hernandez at Man Utd are, if he starts infront of Rooney or berbatov that is clearly a weaker side is it not?

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Post by TommyGun » 27 Jan 2011, 22:40

Agreed with Scotty and some of Holloway's comments. I think the score line should be a bigger indicator than the previous or next squad played against another team. Teams like Arsenal, City, United are deep enough to change 5-7 squad players from one game to the next....who determines if it's a "weak" squad. They restrict you enough with 25 players overall, then the homegrown player rule soon to come into play. Say you have 3-5 injuries, that's 20 players, and most likely 3 are GK's. That leaves you with 7 subs(not counting extra GK's) so it doesn't give you a lot of room to test your squad players. If there score line was 10-0...sure, they might have a case.

The FA should fine West Ham for buying Bridge, most shocking defending I've seen in years.

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member

Post by LiveTheDream » 27 Jan 2011, 23:04

It's a pretty stupid decision. If Holloway had played a team of ten year olds I could understand the fine, but not since he's played a team from his pre-named squad of 25. Maybe the FA should vet squads at the start of the season to determine if they are 'strong enough' :roll:
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better

Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 03 Feb 2011, 17:13

It makes a mockery of the 25 man squad. If the Premier League had any issues with the players, they should have raised that when the squad was submitted.

This is the same Premier League that allowed Man City to sign Martin Fulop as a keeper outside the transfer window as they didn't want to play their keeper from the Faroe Islands.

All double standards and exactly what I'd expect from those muppets.

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 03 Feb 2011, 17:19

WTF indeed. Coaches should be allowed to select whatever players they want from their listed squads. To fine someone on the pretense of game fixing is crazy, especially since the players did put in an honest effort and indeed, almost came away with a respectable point and had a shot to win the game. Corruption is abound in football, but I guarantee Blackpool is getting unfair lashing.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

matt
EF Forum Legend

Post by matt » 03 Feb 2011, 17:31

It's not just Blackpool, I think Wolves have been fined more than once for this.

Absolutely ridiculous; it only seems to affect the smaller clubs, United and Arsenal rotate all the time without getting fines.

Apparently at the end of last season there was a review in which the teams were allowed to vote to change the rule, which resulted in no change. I think a similar review is scheduled for the end of this season.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 03 Feb 2011, 17:58

Surely the smaller teams have no reason to do this. (apart from getting paid under the table by shady match-fixing bookies, but that's ridiculous) They need every point they can get; why would they deliberately weaken their side when they're not exactly cooking with gas when fielding the 'best' team.

All roads lead to Rome.

Juice

Post by Juice » 03 Feb 2011, 19:12

They did the same thing to Wolverhampton last season. Idiotic is what it is.
Last time when United won the pl they played 2-3 games with only reserve players but nothing happened to them..

The most important key to success is self-confidence.
The most important key to self-confidence is preparation.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 03 Feb 2011, 19:46

If you're going to enforce that rule, you have to fine Blackpool and Wolves every game.

All roads lead to Rome.

ratherton
Veteran Member

Post by ratherton » 03 Feb 2011, 20:28

Wolves fine was suspended and there was no 25 man squad rule in place.

Yet one more reason why the Premier League is not worth bothering with (unless you are a player of course then its very lucrative).

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

soccer11
Admin

Post by soccer11 » 03 Feb 2011, 22:32

It's only 25,000 GBP but they should definitely appeal that on terms of stupidity. What if the manager thought they needed a rest? It's stupid. You can't always play your best players because then you risk injuries, but then again, the Premier League probably doesn't care about these sorts of things.