Sky Sports sexism row

English football section, also known as Ratherton's hole
matt
EF Forum Legend
Posts: 1151
Joined: 03 May 2005, 19:20
Location: Cambridge, England

Sky Sports sexism row

Post by matt » 24 Jan 2011, 14:34

Tee hee hee.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... ray-sexism

I can't say I am too surprised, nor do I have any sympathy for them whatsoever. They are both awful (and stupid, even by Sky's standards).
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

Image

mint
EF Drug Baron
Posts: 2430
Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 20:38

Post by mint » 24 Jan 2011, 16:22

Oooo thats not very good for them :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Image
i was made to ignite

ratherton
Veteran Member
Posts: 2872
Joined: 29 Oct 2005, 18:41

Post by ratherton » 24 Jan 2011, 17:32

Its been hearing the various opinions on this linesman bird. Apparently she did quite well but in all the discussion, the bigger issue has been missed and that is.....


....did she get home in time to cook the dinner and finish the ironing?
Image

Mandy felt Brian's wrath when she wandered in front of him after they'd announced free beer at the bar.....

2brown347
Veteran Member
Posts: 3339
Joined: 30 Oct 2007, 04:15

Post by 2brown347 » 24 Jan 2011, 19:20

Wait....How did they fit a soccer field in the kitchen?

Sexism aside I couldn't care less about this story because I couldn't care less about Keys or Gray.

TommyGun
Veteran Member
Posts: 413
Joined: 23 Apr 2010, 02:29

Post by TommyGun » 25 Jan 2011, 00:47

After Gray's comments about Messi/Stoke/etc...this didn't really surprise me.


To be fair, I think if all commentators were mic'd up and recorded when they are off the air, everyone would be out of a job. I still think they should have been fired as it's no different from racism in my opinion. I don't think the world needs to "PC" everything we say, but they just took it a bit further that just one generalization or comment.






Oh yeah, and I still don't have my sandwich. 8)
Image

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member
Posts: 393
Joined: 08 May 2009, 05:34

Post by LiveTheDream » 25 Jan 2011, 06:09

Utterly pathetic. The comments made by Gray and Keys are just so utterly pathetic.

I'm a girl. I play football. I referee. And guess what? I know the offside rule.

To assume that one would need the offside rule explained to them BECAUSE THEY ARE FEMALE is just so arrogant, so condescending, so elitist, so mysogynistic and so absolutely ridiculous.

They should be sacked. They should be made an example of. We all know sexism occurs in football - hell, it occurs in all sport. Here is an opportunity to deal to it - but I bet the bigwigs won't bother 'cause they haven't got the balls.

And guys, the kitchen/'make me a sandwich' comments are just stupid. Just sayin'.
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better


Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

nick117
Veteran Member
Posts: 1105
Joined: 27 Aug 2009, 23:14

Post by nick117 » 25 Jan 2011, 06:30

LiveTheDream wrote:Utterly pathetic. The comments made by Gray and Keys are just so utterly pathetic.

I'm a girl. I play football. I referee. And guess what? I know the offside rule.

To assume that one would need the offside rule explained to them BECAUSE THEY ARE FEMALE is just so arrogant, so condescending, so elitist, so mysogynistic and so absolutely ridiculous.

They should be sacked. They should be made an example of. We all know sexism occurs in football - hell, it occurs in all sport. Here is an opportunity to deal to it - but I bet the bigwigs won't bother 'cause they haven't got the balls.

And guys, the kitchen/'make me a sandwich' comments are just stupid. Just sayin'.
i know because you're a girl this is personal but they were just kidding (not andy gray the guys on this forum) while i don't agree this isn't some uncommon thing guys joke like this all the time. However go ahead and fire andy i hate the guy.

panchester07
Veteran Member
Posts: 3849
Joined: 27 Aug 2007, 04:25

Post by panchester07 » 25 Jan 2011, 06:55

Both of them are very meek in assuming that just because she's a women she doesn't know the offside rule, its really basic, football is simple to learn you just have to be around it for a while and it clicks, certainly your gender doens't matter..If the woman does a good job of being a referee then let her be a referee damn it... I don't know if she will find trobles with 185 muscular players arguing a call, but its a risk she's taking when she choses to step on that pitch......


But I'm still wondering if she did the dishes before leaving for the game or after? Also what soap did she use?
to know Him is to want to know Him more"


"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

TommyGun
Veteran Member
Posts: 413
Joined: 23 Apr 2010, 02:29

Post by TommyGun » 25 Jan 2011, 07:05

yeah, a past girlfriend of mine played at Mississippi State so this kinda did hit home with me for a second. The university treated them "well" but they were always considered a second-tier priority when it came to funding/facilities/etc. They would have to share some facilities with other women's sports while most of the men sports had separate facilities are newer training equipment.

She said some of her male teachers would treat her slightly different when she missed classes for travel and one even went as far to say something along the lines of "you play field hockey, soccer...something....whatever it is, here's your test back". All that aside, the linesman did a great job...especially with everyone trying to eyeball her to make a mistake. When you show up to a game, usually people are watching you for support and cheering you on. I think it would be hell to show up to something where 40,000 people are waiting for you to make a mistake so they can scream their heads off. I'm glad I've never had to do anything under that type of pressure.

Yeah...the sandwich was just continuing the theme of the two above. no offense meant as the upper part was the critique It was more like a CSI Miami segway.... that's why I had to put the sunglasses on right after.
Image

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member
Posts: 1692
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 15:39

Post by ScottyBoy » 25 Jan 2011, 11:58

Keys and Gray have NOTHING on big Ron :lol:
Image

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member
Posts: 393
Joined: 08 May 2009, 05:34

Post by LiveTheDream » 25 Jan 2011, 20:34

TommyGun wrote:yeah, a past girlfriend of mine played at Mississippi State so this kinda did hit home with me for a second. The university treated them "well" but they were always considered a second-tier priority when it came to funding/facilities/etc. They would have to share some facilities with other women's sports while most of the men sports had separate facilities are newer training equipment.

She said some of her male teachers would treat her slightly different when she missed classes for travel and one even went as far to say something along the lines of "you play field hockey, soccer...something....whatever it is, here's your test back". All that aside, the linesman did a great job...especially with everyone trying to eyeball her to make a mistake. When you show up to a game, usually people are watching you for support and cheering you on. I think it would be hell to show up to something where 40,000 people are waiting for you to make a mistake so they can scream their heads off. I'm glad I've never had to do anything under that type of pressure.

Yeah...the sandwich was just continuing the theme of the two above. no offense meant as the upper part was the critique It was more like a CSI Miami segway.... that's why I had to put the sunglasses on right after.
Yeah, that kind of stuff is shite. It's kind of like all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others (Animal Farm, George Orwell for those who don't know what I'm on about). At my high school, our girl's football team was always treated really well - hell, we got things better than the guys because of the weird boys high school competitions (games on the same day as club games, club always won out).

But on a wider level, the inequality between male and female sport is ridiculous. Blokes can go off, play football and be set up for life, women who play at the same level have to work another job just to keep on top of the bills. How often do we see females being covered in the sports section of the news? Compare that with guys? In NZ for example, the women's national rugby team has won the World Cup four times in a row I think. But we barely even hear about this. Now, I really don't give a toss about rugby (when there's football to watch then why should I?) but that's clearly not fair.

Why does sport have to be this way? Panch, you ask if a female ref would have trouble with the players arguing the call. Well, last time I checked, many male referees struggle with this, but we aren't running around ringing our hands in the air and claiming there's a crisis. Yes, it is something that refs have to consider before taking the pitch, but that's ALL refs, not just female refs.
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better


Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member
Posts: 1692
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 15:39

Post by ScottyBoy » 25 Jan 2011, 20:38

Apparently Andy gray has been sacked and I dont think Keys will be far behind him.

Its not exactly a first time offence for either of them.
Image

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

LiveTheDream
Veteran Member
Posts: 393
Joined: 08 May 2009, 05:34

Post by LiveTheDream » 25 Jan 2011, 20:49

What did they do before?
Don't wish things were easier...

... Wish you were better


Focus on the journey, and the result will take care of itself

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member
Posts: 1692
Joined: 05 Aug 2007, 15:39

Post by ScottyBoy » 25 Jan 2011, 21:16

Sky news released a video of Gray and one of Sky Sports chief reporters discussing her looks before the game.

There is also a video going around the internet of him lets say behaving inappropriately towards a female collegue off camera. Although I could excuse his comments the other day as being old fashioned footballing stereotypes this other video is bordering if not sexual harrassment (which I think is the video Sky is refering to why sacking him)

Theres also the classic of the two of them giggling when showing highlights of the womens FA cup final.
Image

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

ajc
The Philly Flyer
Posts: 3094
Joined: 29 Apr 2006, 02:08
Location: Delaware, USA

Post by ajc » 25 Jan 2011, 22:20

LiveTheDream wrote:But on a wider level, the inequality between male and female sport is ridiculous. Blokes can go off, play football and be set up for life, women who play at the same level have to work another job just to keep on top of the bills. How often do we see females being covered in the sports section of the news? Compare that with guys?
The thing is though, professional sport is a business. It's about producing a product which entertains its consumers (fans and viewers) as much as possible.

Due to the natural physical differences between males and females there are certain sports which, for the majority of viewers, are more entertaining to watch if males are playing. Additionally, how many "consumers" of the product of professional football are males and how many are females? This all factors in to why their is so much more money in men's football and there always will be.

The top level of women's professional football is not equivalent to the top level of men's professional football. Just because two players reach the highest echelon of their sport doesn't mean they are playing at the same level if, in general, one player (a male) is competing against players who are clearly faster and stronger and overall more physically suited to athletics.

I don't know enough about the differences in pay and publicity between men's and women's football to claim that there isn't injustice in the system, but I don't believe one should expect top female players to earn as much as men because quite simply the product produced on the pitch is inferior.

In this post I'm only trying to describe the way things are in the world of sports as I perceive them. I don't necessarily believe this is right but from my knowledge of sports this is the best explanation I can gather as to why many women's sports aren't as publicized and commercially successful as men's sports.
Image
Click it

Post Reply